Non-block font numbers that look good

Ark

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In global soccer, they have league-wide fonts because teams have to earn (and continually justify) their place in the league. It means something to use the Premier League number font. It means something to change from the second-division font up to the top level; it's a badge of honor.

What's the point of having the league logo in the number? Always wanted to know why soccer teams do that.

league wide fonts are dumb.

I figure to have some cohesiveness from team to team and or strengthen the leagues brand. And it's usually for league matches. Most teams (if not all) have their own font for champions league or any other non league matches.

I can look at the back of a jersey and tell you right away if it's from the premier league because they have a very unique and recognizable font. I'm a fan of it. I like custom fonts as well but then you end up with the messes that Real Madrid has rolled out recently. I hate manufacturer wide fonts especially internationally. I love that Nike gives unique fonts. It adds so much imo.

• 2 weeks later...

In global soccer, they have league-wide fonts because teams have to earn (and continually justify) their place in the league. It means something to use the Premier League number font. It means something to change from the second-division font up to the top level; it's a badge of honor.

Wouldn't a patch or logo or something other than a major design element be an adequate symbol of achievement? I'm not a soccer guy but couldn't there be some creativity in the numbers like how North American teams have fonts that (supposedly, in some cases) enhance their identities?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While the strings are cool, the open-top four is not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wouldn't a patch or logo or something other than a major design element be an adequate symbol of achievement? I'm not a soccer guy but couldn't there be some creativity in the numbers like how North American teams have fonts that (supposedly, in some cases) enhance their identities?

Yes, it could be. But that's the aesthetic that has developed.

Numbers aren't as significant a design element in soccer as they are in most other sports, since they only appear on the back of the jersey (with a smaller set on the shorts).

The NLL's Minnesota Swarm have used the Liquorstore font for lettering since their inception in 2005, and adopted it for their numbers in 2010. I've always liked that look, even though the uniforms themselves haven't always been my favorites (especially the yellow ones).

I know there isn't always a particular reason for naming a font, but why "Liquorstore"?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived