Sock 'fashion' in the NFL 2014

daschuck77

Seems like this is the trend in the NFL this year for lots of players, particularly WR, DB, and a few QB's. Spandex underneath and the main sock pushed down below the calf barely showing stripes on teams that use them in the uniform. It's being done all over the league. Is it done for fashion or function/comfort? How many different cuts of game issued socks do they make? Are they altered like jerseys are for game fit? Is this a NFL fashion police fine as well?

Personally, it's highly annoying.

c65df77a2caef12f660f6a7067001a4d.jpg

628x471.jpg

icon_24307598.jpg

tempDENvsKC-Game-29--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.

Mike Williams would do all sorts of different looks. Not anymore...He's usually a healthy scratch nowadays with the Bills.

mike-williams-nfl-buffalo-bills-houston-

29656fbfec80742c650f6a70670053b8.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks stupid for sure, especially thatlast Bils player.

I'm sure it's violating the uniform rules, the league has always been quick to hand out fines for socks.

Uniforms SHOULD BE uniform...so I'm actually on the league's side.

87Redskins.png

Looks stupid for sure, especially thatlast Bils player.

I'm sure it's violating the uniform rules, the league has always been quick to hand out fines for socks.

Uniforms SHOULD BE uniform...so I'm actually on the league's side.

This may be the only thing I'm on the league's side with.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

The players can wear tights under their uniform pants if they want. However, they should be required to wear the entire uniform as advised, including the socks. A thin layer of poly/cotton blend isn't restricting their motion, making them too hot or slowing them down. The league shouldn't allow players to take the field with the above looks (ESPECIALLY Mike Williams's) any more than it should allow a player to cut his pants down to boxer briefs and wear colored tights underneath.

And yes, it's been reported that the NFL has uniform inspectors and fines guys for messed up socks, but it's obviously not enough. It's also gotten much, much more widespread in the last four years. The fines should start at $50,000 be doubled every game the player disobeys the rules, to the point where the players have to decide whether they want to look cool or get paid.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The league rule states:

The exterior stocking must be a one-piece unit solid white from the top of the shoe to the mid-point of the lower leg, with approved team color or colors from that midpoint to the top of the stocking.

So to the letter of the law, all of these players should be getting fined by the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/examining-uniform-rules-nfl-213003482.html

The NFL allows the lions are blue and white or all blue??

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23766606/lions-louis-delmas-fined-5000-for-wearing-wrong-color-socks

Most of the players think the striped socks look silly and realize how out-of-style they are with most uniforms. So they go overboard and end up looking worse.

Buffalo and Washington in particular, should just get with the times and put the 1970s socks away and get a solid royal blue and solid burgundy sock to go with their light colored pants. Washington has some inconsistency with their current threads and this would out immensely (plus it would look better).

Buffalo and Washington in particular, should just get with the times and put the 1970s socks away and get a solid royal blue and solid burgundy sock to go with their light colored pants.

If I am reading this correctly, stripped socks are from the '70s and solid colored socks are more contemporary?

welcome back from your suspension, dennis. 841 posts. 800 of them about how striped socks are out of style. Just curious, have you ever posted in any thread that isn't about football uniforms?

Striped socks look good with the right uniform and look really good when worn with dark colored pants. And by the way, they aren't going anywhere. I've been waiting 8 years for them to disappear like you say they will and every year they're still there on about a third of the league and many teams would be greatly improved by some striped socks (Minnesota for instance).

It's an extra design element so I'm all for it and with the shrinkage of football sleeves and the disappearance of sleeve stripes I'm all for another place to put striping. And the players should wear the proper uniform and the league should enforce a sock policy.

Also, basing uniform decisions on what the players think is a well-documented bad idea because NFL players have terrible taste, lack education in brand management, and are very transient employees with a high turnover rate. What they think doesn't matter. The uniforms are for the fans who will be with their team long after the players leave.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ok , first off I play high school football. It is way more comfortable with tights instead of one long sock. You can move betyer , its not as hot, and its thin material that helps when you sweat because it doesn't all get soaked like with socks. I wear the leggings with Elites or Vapor Elites over them which it looks, and feels a whole lot better. Overall I am very happy that players aren't stuck back 10 years ago with the long socks and catch up with the times. BTW these players wear the same thing that a lot of basketball players wear(which looks great in basketball too)

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

Most of the players think the striped socks look silly and realize how out-of-style they are with most uniforms. So they go overboard and end up looking worse.

Buffalo and Washington in particular, should just get with the times and put the 1970s socks away and get a solid royal blue and solid burgundy sock to go with their light colored pants. Washington has some inconsistency with their current threads and this would out immensely (plus it would look better).

Dennis! You're back! Now go away.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ok , first off I play high school football. It is way more comfortable with tights instead of one long sock. You can move betyer , its not as hot, and its thin material that helps when you sweat because it doesn't all get soaked like with socks. I wear the leggings with Elites or Vapor Elites over them which it looks, and feels a whole lot better. Overall I am very happy that players aren't stuck back 10 years ago with the long socks and catch up with the times. BTW these players wear the same thing that a lot of basketball players wear(which looks great in basketball too)

It's great Jamaal Charles wasn't as hot in the 20 degree Kansas City weather last night, otherwise the Chiefs might have played like crap. I'm sure the Bills players picture above found that the six inches of ventilated shins helped them to play betyer.

Stuck back ten years ago? You meant to say "stuck wearing a pro football uniform," because this wearing tights crap is a creation that has happened in the last half decade. It's called a uniform. Pro athletes don't get to wear whatever they want just because it's fashionable or more comfortable.

And no, the restricted movement argument is nonsense. Tell me a football move which would require your shin to be flexible? It's literally impossible to move anything between your knee and ankle.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree that mike williams looked bad with the blue leggings instead of white.

I didn't move to move your shin(not quite sure why you thought that.) I meant when you bend your leg.

Another reason its good to wear leggings is because if you wore regular socks and somebody tackled you your socks could be pulled down. Whereas with leggings that wouldn't be a problem.

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

It definitely doesn't look good, but I understand why players may not want to pull their socks all the way up to their knees. I could see Nike developing some sock/spandex hybrid that would make the players happy and allow for stripes and other design elements around the calves.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Brandon LaFell on the Patriots does the blue under the blue pants, creating his own look

davon-house-brandon-lafell-nfl-new-engla

Some others on the Patriots have had this too.

He's gone white before as well

brandon-lafell-cd439a2601fea8fc.jpg

One good thing is it eliminate this, which I think looks sloppy looking. I know it will happen in the game regardless though.

*Extreme example*

nfl_conference-championships04.jpeg

I've always prefered more sock color than white.

Let's say the standard is 50% top color 50% white, I like it more 70% color.

Well for Frank Gore in that picture, he has always liked his pants short. Also, he doesn't wear red socks. They are basically sleeves that just wrap around his calves. So in that sense, they get pushed up or down throughout the game. If he wore regular knee length socks, that would happen a lot less.

Go A's!

I have a serious question... I really want to know. You've said multiple times that the current players hate striped socks. How do you know? Or is it just a guess and if so, what makes you think that? Have you actually discussed this with a player, or seen an interview where they've said this? And if so, how many players does it take for you to say "most"?

I'm not trying to just poke at you... I really want to know why you seem to think you've got the player's pulse on this.

Archived