So while browsing the interwebs this morning I discovered the news that the US Airways Center in Phoenix has been renamed the Talking Stick Resort Arena. Ugh.

That got me thinking ... what are some HORRIBLE names you've come across for stadiums and arenas. I'm talking mainly here in the US and Canada. But, the big leagues, minor leagues, etc.

Ones that stand out as DUMB off the top of my head are ...

• Talking Stick Resort Arena; Phoenix
  • EnergySolutions Arena; Salt Lake City
  • SAP Center at San Jose
  • O.co Coliseum; Oakland
  • Globe Life Park at Arlington
  • Minute Maid Park; Houston
  • University of Phoenix Stadium; Glendale
  • EverBank Field; Jacksonville

Before the name change Jobing.com Arena was just as horrid as some of these.

What else would you add to this list?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sacramento Kings: Nicely named ARCO Arena eventually became Power Balance Pavilion and now Sleep Train Arena.

University of Louisville: KFC Yum! Center

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sacramento Kings: Nicely named ARCO Arena eventually became Power Balance Pavilion and now Sleep Train Arena.

I was gonna vote for Sleep Train Arena, but the Smoothie King Arena tops that.

Both sound like anchor tenants in a run-down shopping mall....

Getting the obligatory "THE CARRIER DOME IS SPONSORED BY AN AIR CONDITIONING COMPANY BUT HAS NO AIR CONDITIONING!" comment out of the way

Otherwise, Lexus Rink at BB&T Center with ADT Protection fueled by Coca-Cola can count, right? Otherwise I can't really think of any others at the moment.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

An exclamation point in your arena name is not a good thing.

and all the green street signs have to use an exclamation point because of it. I don't think I've ever seen an exclamation point on any other government issued street signage anywhere else.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have to disagree with EverBank Field being listed. Surely beats Altell Municipal Stadium or Jacksonvlle Muni. But the name and company match the team and city well. Plus, one of my favorite shirts I've seen since the rename was "THE BANK IS OPEN ON SUNDAYS"

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

now BB&T Center, but I always thought the National Car Rental Center was silly.

and the Wells Fargo Center in Philly used to be the First Union Center, which Philadelphians shortened to the FU Center

Also think it's crazy that Fifth Third Bank sponsors 5 different stadia/arenas in the midwest (Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati, and ballparks by various names in Dayton, Toledo, Comstock Park (Grand Rapids), and Kane County (Chicago Suburbs).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

and the Wells Fargo Center in Philly used to be the First Union Center, which Philadelphians shortened to the FU Center

As I recall, the former Spectrum was also sponsored by First Union in its twilight years, and it was nicknamed the FU2.

Speaking of the Ghost of Bad Stadium Names Past, don't forget Houston's Enron Field (now Minute Maid Park) or Minnesota's Mall of America Field (as the Metrodome was called in its twilight years; that MoA ever saw fit to attach its name to such a dump is still amazing to me).

CCSLC signature.png

An exclamation point in your arena name is not a good thing.

and all the green street signs have to use an exclamation point because of it. I don't think I've ever seen an exclamation point on any other government issued street signage anywhere else.

This is an actual town/village in Quebec, near the New Brunswick border.

QC_25_haha.jpg

1zqy8ok.gif

Well I don't have any stadium names that would be worse than what's been posted, though when Candlestick was remaned 3Com and/or Moster Park was a dreary time. This thread got me thinking that you should have included strange/odd/funny/ridiculously long bowl/sponsor names.

For example just looking at projected Bowl matchups on ESPN (yes, I know, I frequent ESPN more than I should) the length of adding the sponsor's names to bowl games is getting ridiculous.

- S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl

- Duck Commander Independence Bowl

- AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl

- BITCOIN St. Petersburg Bowl

- Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl

What's next the Mr. Clean Toilet Bowl? My Dad has, since I've been a kid joking around saying they should take the two worst teams in FBS Football and give em a bowl game...In his words: "two teams that stink" could make for a competitive game. He might be right. This year's Mr. Clean Toilet Bowl would pit Georgia State against SMU.

I'll add that every time a team scores a Touchdown the sound of a toilet flush reverbs through the loud speakers! :D

How about the Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal Bowl (OK, so maybe not that bad). Now I'm hungry. BRB

Archived