^ None of those really seem all that bad--UofPS notwithstanding (and even then its only because of the rather ironic situation of a "college" sponsoring an NFL venue). And at any rate, none of those are anywhere near as bad as, say, Smoothie King Center in New Orleans (has that been brought up yet?).

Still, I think KFC Yum! Center takes the cake on horrible names. (And the Colonel's chicken really ain't all that "yummy", either--in fact it quite sucks.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ None of those really seem all that bad--UofPS notwithstanding (and even then its only because of the rather ironic situation of a "college" sponsoring an NFL venue). And at any rate, none of those are anywhere near as bad as, say, Smoothie King Center in New Orleans (has that been brought up yet?).

Still, I think KFC Yum! Center takes the cake on horrible names. (And the Colonel's chicken really ain't all that "yummy", either--in fact it quite sucks.)

UofPS is that bad. Not only is it a "college", but it doesn't have a football team to play in the football stadium that bears its name.

I mean I "get" it, but it's horrible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ANY ONE that's named as the result of the corporate whoring of sports in North America.

I hope they all reach the point that Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami did. Thanks to having official names of "Joe Robbie Stadium," "Pro Player Park," Pro Player Stadium," "Dolphins Stadium," "Dolphin Stadium," "Land Shark Stadium" and "Sun Life Stadium," I suspect most people just call it the stadium and figure "to hell with what the owners call it."

nav-logo.png

If trends continue, stadiums will start to be named (blow a) "Veterans' Stadium" and/or "Breast Cancer Dome" (aka the D-Cup).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Progressive Field

LP Field*

University of Phoenix Stadium

NRG Stadium

*This works awesome for Nashville. Music City USA. An LP, if you're not familiar, is a long play record. The ones on vinyl. Folks around there call it the 33 and a third. Which is the speed at which an LP plays at.

How about Dunkin' Donuts Arena at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut?

packchampionslfroh.png

In 2013 Caterpillar Inc. bought the naming rights to the Class-A Peoria Chiefs stadium. Instead of calling it Caterpillar or CAT park, stadium, field, etc., they named it Dozer Park after Caterpillar bulldozers. To me the name suggests a place that you're not going to have fun at.

Dozer --> dozing (sleeping)

In 2013 Caterpillar Inc. bought the naming rights to the Class-A Peoria Chiefs stadium. Instead of calling it Caterpillar or CAT park, stadium, field, etc., they named it Dozer Park after Caterpillar bulldozers. To me the name suggests a place that you're not going to have fun at.

It beats naming the place after a car dealership. And kids like playing with toy bulldozers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That reminds me... a while ago, the minor league ballpark in Buffalo was named after some kind of healthcare outfit that I don't think is with us anymore: North Americare Park. People called it the NAP.

Progressive Field

LP Field*

University of Phoenix Stadium

NRG Stadium

*This works awesome for Nashville. Music City USA. An LP, if you're not familiar, is a long play record. The ones on vinyl. Folks around there call it the 33 and a third. Which is the speed at which an LP plays at.

I've been to Nashville numerous times, and I've never heard anyone refer to LP Field as "33 and a third"....

It beats naming the place after a car dealership. And kids like playing with toy bulldozers.

Like Tim's Toyota Arena in Prescott Valley, AZ?

• 11 months later...

BUMP Because I just saw the worst name yet. The Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre. Home of the Victoria Royals. Yikes that's awful! It's a memorial stadium because you'll remember how much you saved on your 6-pack...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Mississippi RiverKings play on the Concorde Career College Ice at Landers Center (Landers is a car dealer chain.)

The imaginary stadium on the St. Louis Riverfront will be called National Car Rental Field if they build it.

The Utah Jazz now play at Vivint Smarthome Arena.

The last two could easily be better. Enterprise owns National so Enterprise Field would be much more palatable. (I see how National Field without the Rental Car part isn't good advertising, but I hope that's what people call it as a nickname if it actually happens.)

The Utah Jazz should play at Vivint Arena (at least it's named after a toxic waste disposal company anymore).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived