NFL Timeline Infographic

pianoknight

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but those were the decades when no one in Chicago really cared about football. Still, no one in Chicago really cares about football, but there's been this strange love affair with a foul-mouthed boor in a sweater vest and some nebulous concept of vicarious blue-collar toughness, and I suppose that's close enough.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wikipedia has (a less pretty) one including defunct franchises. The NFL's is ridiculous compared to, say, the NHL... another reason why I give a little more credence to the "Original Six". My favorite old timey NFL team is the Tonawanda Kardex, named after the card filing system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_National_Football_League

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_National_Hockey_League

Great graphic, but I disagree with the notion of the Boston Patriots "moving" to become the New England Patriots.

To me, it's more of a "representational" name change, such as the way they handled Phoenix Cardinals becoming the Arizona Cardinals.

And while I get that the team did move from Boston (proper) to the suburbs/exurbs, so did several other teams-- Detroit out to Pontiac, Cowboys from Dallas to Irvine, Giants (and Jets) from New York City to another state, and most recently (and actually the longest move in terms of distance) San Francisco to Santa Clara.

It just happened that the Patriots changed their name in conjunction with a move to another part of the metro area (sort of like the San Francisco Warriors becoming the Golden State Warriors, or the Nets going from New York to New Jersey to Brooklyn).

It is what it is.

Wikipedia has (a less pretty) one including defunct franchises. The NFL's is ridiculous compared to, say, the NHL... another reason why I give a little more credence to the "Original Six". My favorite old timey NFL team is the Tonawanda Kardex, named after the card filing system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_National_Football_League

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_National_Hockey_League

You wouldn't like Kieth Olbermann's take on that:

Too bad the Kardex played only one game. My favorite has to be the Providence Steam Roller.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Great graphic, but I disagree with the notion of the Boston Patriots "moving" to become the New England Patriots.

To me, it's more of a "representational" name change, such as the way they handled Phoenix Cardinals becoming the Arizona Cardinals.

And while I get that the team did move from Boston (proper) to the suburbs/exurbs, so did several other teams-- Detroit out to Pontiac, Cowboys from Dallas to Irvine, Giants (and Jets) from New York City to another state, and most recently (and actually the longest move in terms of distance) San Francisco to Santa Clara.

I hate when people try to argue that they really are all of New England's team in a way that, say, the Red Sox aren't, or that they're just as much Providence's team as they are Boston's. Who without mob ties needs to pump the tires for Providence?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It just happened that the Patriots changed their name in conjunction with a move to another part of the metro area (sort of like the San Francisco Warriors becoming the Golden State Warriors, or the Nets going from New York to New Jersey to Brooklyn).

That's an excellent point. Why treat the Boston/New England Patriots as a move, but not the Pheonix/Arizona Cardinals? Doesn't make any sense.

Great. Now I don't like that graphic.

I was about to post "I thought the Rams were in Cleveland in the 30s and 40s", but then saw it upon closer look.

So the longest standing franchise in one city is current the Packers, followed by the Chicago Bears, then New York Giants, then Lions and Steelers.

Nope. The Steelers and Eagles aren't on that list. The 1933 Pittsburgh Pirates franchise is today's Philadelphia Eagles (after an aborted attempt to relocate to Boston), while the 1933 Philadelphia Eagles is today's Pittsburgh Steelers.

And you'd be right to, especially considering the name they were going to use was the "Bay State Patriots." That lasted until someone realized it'd be listed as "BS Patriots."

nav-logo.png

It seems like they have the Baltimore Colts starting in 1959 rather than 1953, with no connection to the first version of the Dallas Texans.

If you're counting the Texans, which may or may not have a direct connection to the Colts, based on one's perspective, then you have to count the Texans' antecedents, going back to the Dayton Triangles in 1913.

That's an excellent point. Why treat the Boston/New England Patriots as a move, but not the Pheonix/Arizona Cardinals? Doesn't make any sense.

Great. Now I don't like that graphic.

I assume they only did it to show there was another team in Boston before the Patriots.

Archived