If you can change the color of a face mask to improve a look?

csura999

Midwest Cardinals do, but the desert Cardinals have yellow beaks. I only know this because someone brought it up as a Cardinals re-branding.

7084-1.jpg

I can tell right now that I live in Tucson Az in the sonoran and I have never seen the desert cardinal only the Northern Cardinal.

a2BRS8U.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me there are two NFL "Dump Gray" teams:

• Colts: Their blue facemasks were great. The grays stick out like a sore thumb.
  • Browns: Honestly, I don't like their white masks. I would love to see 'em try brown

I'd also like to see the Vikings go purple and the Dolphins go with teal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Patriots have used gray with the Flying Elvis.

1993.drew-bledsoe.jpg

The Patriots are screwed if anything happens to Drew Bledsoe. They have no one to replace him with.

That was a weird uniform. (Although the gray mask looks better than the red.)

I agree about the gray facemasks. The reds didn't look so out of place with these because there was more red in the uniform than there is now. I'd go with navy facemasks for the current uniforms.

Drew-Bledsoe.jpggallery.bledsoe.bob.rosato.jpg

tempAP070111017078--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.j

That was a weird uniform in and of itself, but also weird that it had several iterations before they finally settled on the giant Elvis on the shoulders (which I love) and nascar numbers. And then when all was said and done they only wore it for 7 or 8 years before changing to their current uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Midwest Cardinals do, but the desert Cardinals have yellow beaks. I only know this because someone brought it up as a Cardinals re-branding.

7084-1.jpg

I can tell right now that I live in Tucson Az in the sonoran and I have never seen the desert cardinal only the Northern Cardinal.

I dont know, I've always been confused by their logo because they were named the Cardinals while they were in St. Louis, so that would be referring to the Northern Cardinal, but their logo still had a yellow beak then. That's weird obviously because Northern Cardinals don't have yellow beaks and "Desert" Cardinals do. So when someone said that the yellow beak came from the desert Cardinal it confused me even more.

I say this because you have never seen a Desert Cardinal, and I never heard of it before that time, so it's weird that the beak is yellow for the Cardinals. I would like an explanation from the origination lol

I think the Colts are wearing the worst of their three facemask color options. Blue is the ideal color, then white, then grey.

edgerrin-James-.jpg

I'll take everything in this pic.

If i get greedy I'll ask for the striped socks for Indy.

As for the question at hand...

Colts-Blue

Browns-White or Brown

Lions-Gray

Bucs-Pewter or Red

Pats-Gray

Cowboys-Navy, actually

49ers-red

Cardinald-white

Dolphins-aqua

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

7084-1.jpg

I dont know, I've always been confused by their logo because they were named the Cardinals while they were in St. Louis, so that would be referring to the Northern Cardinal, but their logo still had a yellow beak then. That's weird obviously because Northern Cardinals don't have yellow beaks and "Desert" Cardinals do. So when someone said that the yellow beak came from the desert Cardinal it confused me even more.

I say this because you have never seen a Desert Cardinal, and I never heard of it before that time, so it's weird that the beak is yellow for the Cardinals. I would like an explanation from the origination lol

This link is mostly about the baseball Cardinals, but talks about yellow and red beaks:

Talking Uniforms with Cardinals President Bill DeWitt III

BY PAUL LUKAS, ON NOVEMBER 29TH, 2012

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/11/29/talking-uniforms-with-cardinals-president-bill-dewitt-iii/

Patriots have used gray with the Flying Elvis.

1993.drew-bledsoe.jpg

The Patriots are screwed if anything happens to Drew Bledsoe. They have no one to replace him with.

That was a weird uniform. (Although the gray mask looks better than the red.)

The 1994 jerseys were 10 steps above the "weird" 1993 jerseys. The red facemask was definitely an upgrade.

(I think this picture of McGinest was actually from 1995 preseason, as the 75th patch isn't on the jersey. Pats kept the 1994 jerseys through '95 preseason, then introduced the huge shoulder Elvis week 1 against the Browns in 1995).

willie_mcginest_getty.jpg

DREW-BLEDSOE-1995-COLLECTORS-EDGE-NITRO-

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7084-1.jpg

I dont know, I've always been confused by their logo because they were named the Cardinals while they were in St. Louis...

They were named the Cardinals in Chicago.

7084-1.jpg

I dont know, I've always been confused by their logo because they were named the Cardinals while they were in St. Louis...

Though not named directly for the bird.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7084-1.jpg

Though not named directly for the bird.

The logo of the Chicago Cardinals says otherwise...

369_zps5796dda5.gif

The story that they were named for the colour and not the bird has never been confirmed. Even if it was? They had clearly gone with the bird identity before moving to St. Louis.

Change everyone's facemask to grey :upside:

Please suspend yourself for two weeks and update the "forum announcements" thread to reflect this punishment.

Thanks.

I am in agreement this is almost as bad as those defending the comic sans font the Horror!

7084-1.jpg

Paul Lukas did an interview with St. Louis Cardinals owner Bill Dewitt when they debuted their cream alts a few years back and they actually talked about the whole yellow beak thing

UW: As long as we’re talking about small details, one thing I’ve always found amusing is the color of the birds’ beaks. You show them in yellow. And there was that one time when you made them red, and of course that’s more accurate, because a cardinal’s beak really is red. But man, there’s no denying it, it looks so much better in yellow!

BD: It’s funny you say that. That was part of that logo redesign in 1998 — I lived in suburban St. Louis, and we had bird feeders, and I saw lots of Cardinals, and their beaks were red, so I said, “Let’s change the beak color, to make it ornithologically correct.” And we made the eye yellow, just to keep some yellow in that area of the design, to go along with the yellow bat.

So we did it, and I soon regretted it. And then, lo and behold, I started noticing that about 10% of cardinals actually do have much lighter-colored beaks.

UW: Yeah, but yellow?

BD: It’s kinda orange. We actually experimented a bit with an orange yarn, and the MLB Design Services people were like, “Are you kidding?”

UW: Of course, the Arizona Cardinals, their logo has a yellow beak. And the Louisville Cardinals logo has a yellow beak…

BD: Every cardinal in every team sport has a yellow beak. But seriously, I have seen actual cardinal birds with beaks that are really close to yellow. Like, you wouldn’t call it yellow, but yellow-ish orange. They’re rare, but they’re out there. We can kinda hang our hats on that: These birds are rare, and the Cardinals are rare players.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/11/29/talking-uniforms-with-cardinals-president-bill-dewitt-iii/

For the Lions, the black is the best choice by far - balances out the black in the stripes and logo trim. I'd say silver / gray is second, with blue a very close third.

Also, I typically think that if the helet doesn't have stripes, then the facemask should match the shell - but I would give the Patriots a waiver on this, as I think their red mask really ties the helmet in to the rest of the uniform and a gray mask would just make the whole thing too gray.

I've never seen a blue mask photoshopped on them, but I can't imagine I'd like it better than red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived