infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL Week 15

infrared41

This week's uniform match ups were a lot like this week's games - not a whole helluva lot to get excited about. We had a couple really good looking match ups, a couple really awful match ups, and our second "from first to worst" team of the season.

Before we get started, kudos to the Buffalo Bills for going blue monochrome and ruining what would have been a surefire top 3 match up with the Packers. (Here comes the inevitable response from everyone's favorite angry guy telling me how great the Bills look and how outdated and bad the Packers look.)

13969041.jpg

Ok, now that we've gotten that out of the way... Let's put 60 seconds on the clock and play our game. As always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Raiders - Chiefs: It just doesn't get any better than this. Best road look in the NFL against one of the best home looks in the NFL. Great helmets, great...everything. This should be Oakland's second straight week in this spot but I just had to put our last look at the Browns classic home uniforms at #1 last week.

4a2b9ae5-5c15-4db1-b7a8-faa87d4fe510.jpg

2. Washington - NY Giants: Just a great looking match up. The colors really popped in this one. Too bad the teams aren't anywhere near as good as their uniforms. Another fantastic helmet match up.

Giants1.jpg

3. Cowboys - Eagles: We like to bash Nike around here, but they did a great job with the Eagles home jerseys. The green looks so much richer than it did with the old Reebok jerseys. The Cowboys take advantage of another slow week to score a top three spot.

636bd648-bede-46f1-9c12-f51c8ef7d374.jpg

4. Texans - Colts: I went back and forth on this one. I like both looks, but they're not that great together. The helmets ended up being the deciding factor. This game would have looked a lot better If the Texans had gone all white. There was a little too much blue in this one, but it's still a pretty solid match up.

Colts.jpg

Worst:

1. Bengals - Browns: The Browns pull off the rare "from first to worst." In what was likely our last chance to see their classic home uniforms, the Browns decide to literally look like :censored:. The only thing uglier than Johnny Manziel's performance in this game was the uniform he was wearing. You know it's an awful game when the Bengals are the best looking team on the field.

28a6e48d-9cc9-4bcb-8bd3-143c1c6cf7ae.jpg

2. Jaguars - Ravens: How bad was Bengals - Browns? So bad that this disaster is only the second worst game of the week. Damn, there's a whole lot of ugly going on here.

fbf79a58-2ba7-4b88-9dc9-5bc69d884107.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all over again next week - hopefully with a little more to work with. Thanks for taking the time to drop by.

BB52Big.jpg

One thing I notice is that more often than not, you're looking at "classic looks" vs "Nike nu-wave madness." (Not a criticism, just what I see; and not necessarily a bad thing since I, too, am a fan of the more classic look.). With that in mind, teams like Seattle, Jacksonville, and Tampa Bay will not make many of the top lists.

I'm not a big fan of Washington's yellow pants, but it IS traditional. I actually liked the years when they wore burgundy pants on the road, and white at home.

New Dolphins vs new New England? Down near the Worst list...

IMO Ravens should be purple over black full time, like their original uniforms. I even don't mind the stripeless pants for them. It's the only case of dark-stripeless pants that I'm OK with.

Still not enough to counter the trainwreck that is the Jaguars uniforms, but IMO that game isn't worst because of the Ravens side of it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bengals-Browns was a terrible looking game. The Browns monochromatic brown might be my least favorite uniform an NFL team has ever worn (and I really hate the Bucs unis) because the opportunity cost of wearing it means one less game of their nice brown over white pants uniform.

You have horrible balance. Stripes on the sleeves, nothing but doodoo from the armpits down with nary a white or orange stripe, and then a little orange dot on top. It's an awful design, and brown is one color that shouldn't be worn in pants form. If the Browns/nike make their new look worse than the brown monochromes I'll be impressed.

The Bengals in black pants on the road has grown on me, but their best road look is white jerseys-white pants-orange socks. I still want to see a less stupid looking jersey and pants stripe design, and the number is still illegible after 11 years, but now that Nike has uniformed their cuts it's a better look than what they wore under Reebok. I can live with it. There, I gave Nike some credit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

One thing I notice is that more often than not, you're looking at "classic looks" vs "Nike nu-wave madness." (Not a criticism, just what I see; and not necessarily a bad thing since I, too, am a fan of the more classic look.). With that in mind, teams like Seattle, Jacksonville, and Tampa Bay will not make many of the top lists.

I'm not a big fan of Washington's yellow pants, but it IS traditional. I actually liked the years when they wore burgundy pants on the road, and white at home.

New Dolphins vs new New England? Down near the Worst list...

Sure, except that I'm not. At all. Seattle, San Diego, and Minnesota are all what would be considered "modern" and all three have made the best list this season. (Hell, the Vikings have all but dominated the best list this year) Last season, Jacksonville made the best list although I did say that the helmets needed to be ignored to justify the pick. I caught a lot of flack from folks around here for ignoring Jackonsville's helmets. Their criticism was legit and as a result, the Jags have not made the best list since. But anyone who follows this thread knows that, other than the helmets and black pants, I really like the Jags new look. Another example: my favorite college football uniform a couple years back was this Oregon uniform.

MMariota.jpg

I've said this many many times around here but since you're new, I'll say it again. The only "rule" I have for a uniform is whether or not I think it looks good. That's it. Doesn't matter if it's traditional, modern, renaissance era, whatever. If it looks good, I like it. If it looks bad, I don't like it. Simple as that.

BB52Big.jpg

IMO Ravens should be purple over black full time, like their original uniforms. I even don't mind the stripeless pants for them. It's the only case of dark-stripeless pants that I'm OK with.

Still not enough to counter the trainwreck that is the Jaguars uniforms, but IMO that game isn't worst because of the Ravens side of it.

They need to wear purple socks though to avoid the yoga pants look.

I think the only teams that with same color pants and socks are teams with stripes on the pants.

They need to wear purple socks though to avoid the yoga pants look.

I think the only teams that with same color pants and socks are teams with stripes on the pants.

I agree with you, but I find them to me the least offensive of the leotarders. I'd give them a hall pass if the rest of the league conformed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What do you have against the Seahawks uniforms? Sure, they're not the NFL's best, but they shouldn't be a cellar dweller every week on account of their own uniforms.

How many of these threads have you followed?

All of them. I was a lurker before I even joined the boards.

Yeah, the Jags helmet... One of these days they'll fix that. And yes, Seattle, San Diego, and Minnesota made your top list at one time, but you DID say that you really didn't like their overall look aside from those one-off games (Seahawks' best looks are Blue over grey, or white over blue). At least the Chargers and Vikings stayed reasonably close to their "classic" roots (aside from the Vikes number font).

Keep it up! I'm lovin' the discussions this creates!

What do you have against the Seahawks uniforms? Sure, they're not the NFL's best, but they shouldn't be a cellar dweller every week on account of their own uniforms.

WTF? :blink:

I meant they shouldn't be the ones ruining every matchup.

While I appreciate the thought, I think you're giving me a little more influence than I deserve here. In case you haven't noticed, this thread is just my opinion. It's not like what I decide is the best or worst match up is the definitive opinion on the matter. (although that would be nice) No offense, but I'm not going to change my opinion simply because you don't agree with it. You don't like my rankings? How about you contribute to thread and explain why you think I'm wrong? (That's kind of how it works around here) You say they "shouldn't be cellar dwellers." OK, why?

BB52Big.jpg

WTF? :blink:

I meant they shouldn't be the ones ruining every matchup.

And yet, there they are, doing just that.

This is how opinions work. I'm shocked every time someone defends that uniform.

Archived