It's official...Miami also leaving Nike

mjd77

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/miami--nike-nearing-end-of-revolutionary-contract-060217792.html

For the school that had the very first all sports contract with Nike, it's over. Their contract runs through August of 2015 and apparently they are announcing before their bowl game Dec. 27th if it is going to be Adidas or UA. And once again, it's all about the money.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another article says they are listening to offers from all three. Regardless, if adidas and UA back up a Brinks truck, Nike will most likely walk. No reason to overpay simply because they were you're first.

Exactly. I think most schools will jump at the highest offer no matter what supplier it is. In the school's mind, it's probably a no brainer.

This is surprising but as others have mentioned the only value in miami's brand is when their football program is playing at an elite level. They just don't have the alumni base or draw enough consistent interest to be an elite program if they aren't winning. If we are going to get into a wave of overbidding by aid/ua and nike's going with financially sound bids, are there any schools outside of oregon that nike would really fight and possibly overpay for? Now that miami may be gone you basically have usc, bama, fsu, psu, lsu, tosu uk, duke, g-town and a few others I can't remember in their elite circle. Some of these schools have been footwear clients since the 80's, it would be really strange to see them switch over but then again money talks.

This is surprising but as others have mentioned the only value in miami's brand is when their football program is playing at an elite level. They just don't have the alumni base or draw enough consistent interest to be an elite program if they aren't winning. If we are going to get into a wave of overbidding by aid/ua and nike's going with financially sound bids, are there any schools outside of oregon that nike would really fight and possibly overpay for? Now that miami may be gone you basically have usc, bama, fsu, psu, lsu, tosu uk, duke, g-town and a few others I can't remember in their elite circle. Some of these schools have been footwear clients since the 80's, it would be really strange to see them switch over but then again money talks.

For football I'd imagine in no particular order: Texas, usc, tosu, Bama, fsu, and maybe making a bid for an a&m or someone similar.

Tennessee is switching to Nike soon right?

Tennessee starts this next academic year. Miami will wear Nike one more year before switching out in 2016-2017. If they go with adidas the jerseys will definitely change unless adidas whips up a new template. Under Armour has a template that can support the current set.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-sports-minute/miami--nike-nearing-end-of-revolutionary-contract-060217792.html

For the school that had the very first all sports contract with Nike, it's over. Their contract runs through August of 2015 and apparently they are announcing before their bowl game Dec. 27th if it is going to be Adidas or UA. And once again, it's all about the money.

After the unveiling of those horrid uniforms early this year, I would love to see them go to UA or Adidas as they cannot do much worse.

spacer.png

After the unveiling of those horrid uniforms early this year, I would love to see them go to UA or Adidas as they cannot do much worse.
Adidas can do MUCH worse... Have you not seen the recent "tire tread" template... Even Arizona State has adopted that weird pattern now that they have switched from Nike to Adidas... SOME teams can pull it off, like ASU and NC State... Others not so much, and I fear that Miami would go from what I see as a 9 right now straight down to a 2 maybe a 3. UA is the best option for Miami at this point if Nike leaves

For football I'd imagine in no particular order: Texas, usc, tosu, Bama, fsu, and maybe making a bid for an a&m or someone similar.

Tennessee is switching to Nike soon right?

A&M just reupped with Adidas as their previous contract expired this past June. I haven't found any details as to how long the extension is for. I do know that A&M became an Adidas school simply because they put out the highest bid. There is a story that our AD back in '06 asked Nike for the same kind of terms that they had with Texas and that Nike said no.

Tennessee starts this next academic year. Miami will wear Nike one more year before switching out in 2016-2017. If they go with adidas the jerseys will definitely change unless adidas whips up a new template. Under Armour has a template that can support the current set.

Well, the current set blows, so it would be no big loss. If they go with UA, I foresee them going to the '80s-'90s throwbacks which are much desired. And from there, they'd introduce 1-2 alts a year and chip away at the identity, replacing the throwbacks within 3 years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, the current set blows, so it would be no big loss. If they go with UA, I foresee them going to the '80s-'90s throwbacks which are much desired. And from there, they'd introduce 1-2 alts a year and chip away at the identity, replacing the throwbacks within 3 years, as Nike did with Colorado.

Honestly, I kinda like Miami's current set. Even though I generally don't like BFBS, I really like their black alternate and the chrome green helmet.

Adidas can do MUCH worse... Have you not seen the recent "tire tread" template... Even Arizona State has adopted that weird pattern now that they have switched from Nike to Adidas... SOME teams can pull it off, like ASU and NC State... Others not so much, and I fear that Miami would go from what I see as a 9 right now straight down to a 2 maybe a 3. UA is the best option for Miami at this point if Nike leaves

Whew...a 9? I give their current set a 5.43 out of 10.

spacer.png

enlighten me on why you give them a 5. Whatever. Give me 3 reasonable problems you have with the set

enlighten me on why you give them a 5. Whatever. Give me 3 reasonable problems you have with the set

Okay:

1. The plain pants, Miami has always had stripes on their pants until this set.
  2. The new orange and green helmets with the dark grey facemasks
  3. The piping on the jersey that is used as a break between the chest and the shoulders.
  4. The alternate "Smoke" uniform
  5. I felt that even though their last uniform was outdated, it is still better than their new set. The old ones said the "U" to me, the new just say "crap"
  6. The only thing about the new set that screamed the "U" to me was the original white helmet with the classic stripes and logo.

My full review can be found here.

spacer.png

Archived