It's official...Miami also leaving Nike

mjd77

As a fan, this disappoints me from a non-football standpoint. Miami has not had GREAT uniforms since Reggie Wayne played there. However, the baseball and basketball teams have great uniforms which I'd hate to see go. My hope is for UA, strictly because Miami would just use an ugly templated look for all sports if they went with Adidas.

If they do go to UA, I pray they just revert back to the look below. That look had class, and tradition written all over it. When you win 4 national championships in a 10 year span in the same uniform, you should wear the same thing until the end of time.

tdcblog110409.jpg

The only change I'd want to see with these is using the current font with a single outline and making the striping on the white pants the same as the helmet.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan, this disappoints me from a non-football standpoint. Miami has not had GREAT uniforms since Reggie Wayne played there. However, the baseball and basketball teams have great uniforms which I'd hate to see go. My hope is for UA, strictly because Miami would just use an ugly templated look for all sports if they went with Adidas.

If they do go to UA, I pray they just revert back to the look below. That look had class, and tradition written all over it. When you win 4 national championships in a 10 year span in the same uniform, you should wear the same thing until the end of time.

tdcblog110409.jpg

The only change I'd want to see with these is using the current font with a single outline and making the striping on the white pants the same as the helmet.

The best part of those uniforms was the two-toned collar on the road:

yOy173M.jpg

1Dl48PC.jpg

12zpDxP.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No more smoke uniforms. And this helmet always: university-of-miami-football-automatical

Do that and we'll be good, Adidas.

Yes and the 80's/90's uniforms all the time please.

I watch The U documentaries and I'm blown away by how unique and good Miami looked. Sure, the helmet stripe and sleeve and pants stripe clashed but it's a charming flaw. Towards the late 90's they were getting stale and the uniforms they switched to from that set were the right uniforms for that team at that time, but I think they've gone too far away from what Miami football should look like. They don't look like themselves anymore.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Let me preface this by saying that I am a Miami Alum and have been in touch with some people in the know and here are the facts as i have heard it.

1. Deal is not done but looks like Adidias is the front runner

2. the deal is worth ~$3 Mil more per year than what Nike is paying Nike has the ability to counter offer

3. Money is money, and it would make sense to take it.

4. Alumni/ Fans dont want to move but would prefer UA to Adidas if there is a move

5. Local Store that sells Canes gear has been told by UA and Adidas reps that they are in fact bidding on it.

6. Current set is really liked by the University and Miami owns the designs so a change in design may not occur.

tdcblog110409.jpg

I've always wished they would use the green a little more prominently than they do. I remember a game a long time ago when they went green monochrome with the white helmet. I thought that looked great.

It'll be weird seeing Miami in any supplier other than Nike. Before Oregon they were like Nike's pet program.

Those early 2000s uniforms were a "classic" modern design if that makes any sense. There are probably still high school and small colleges wearing that design. I think they missed on most of their designs after that until their current set. It will definitely be weird to see them wearing something other than Nike.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wherever they end up, I hope Miami doesn't ditch this helmet. I'm probably in the minority but I think that is one cool helmet.

miami-hurricanes-new-white-football-helm

I actually like that one unlike the orange and green ones because it doesn't stray too far from the traditional white. It's a shame they weren't even worn this year though.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

They MAY NOT be leaving, but I think they're trying to stroke their own ego with this move. Nike may decide their profile isn't high enough and let them go away. I'd forsee Under Armour over adidias if Miami does indeed switch.

They should go back to illegal recruiting practices and have off-the-field scandals to get back to prominence and re-establish their profile.

I hope within a few years (probably longer) Adidas and Russell Athletic would be moving far away from college athletics. Georgia Tech is likely the butt of all jokes by continuing to stick with Russell Athletic. Hopefully, their new AD will make a substantial change in a few years when their contract expires. Adidas used to make good uniforms before they decide to move to TechFit/Rev 30 fabric (circa 2010), now they just look like trash (and yes I am putting it mildly).

I am kinda surprised Miami is considering Adidas considering how bad other schools look. I hope they do the right thing and remain with Nike or move to Under Armour.

I hope within a few years (probably longer) Adidas and Russell Athletic would be moving far away from college athletics. Georgia Tech is likely the butt of all jokes by continuing to stick with Russell Athletic. Hopefully, their new AD will make a substantial change in a few years when their contract expires. Adidas used to make good uniforms before they decide to move to TechFit/Rev 30 fabric (circa 2010), now they just look like trash (and yes I am putting it mildly).

I am kinda surprised Miami is considering Adidas considering how bad other schools look. I hope they do the right thing and remain with Nike or move to Under Armour.

Adidas apparently is opening their checkbook and willing to pay a premium to add new schools. Why wouldn't they be considering them?

Adidas apparently is opening their checkbook and willing to pay a premium to add new schools. Why wouldn't they be considering them?

Exactly. The school's decision makers, for the most part, don't care what the teams look like. They care about the money that is coming in.

For me, When I think of Miami I don't think of class. I think of new school modern type of looks, such as this 45347-0-600.jpg

I know that's because I grew up with Miami in modern uniforms, but other people think of Miami in classy uniforms just because that's what they grew up with as well, thats how it goes for every team. And I have a feeling they will keep being modern.

Archived