It's official...Miami also leaving Nike

mjd77

I hope within a few years (probably longer) Adidas and Russell Athletic would be moving far away from college athletics. Georgia Tech is likely the butt of all jokes by continuing to stick with Russell Athletic. Hopefully, their new AD will make a substantial change in a few years when their contract expires. Adidas used to make good uniforms before they decide to move to TechFit/Rev 30 fabric (circa 2010), now they just look like trash (and yes I am putting it mildly).

I am kinda surprised Miami is considering Adidas considering how bad other schools look. I hope they do the right thing and remain with Nike or move to Under Armour.

Russell is located in/near Atlanta now, so they have reasons to be with GT and vice versa. That was the only reason Auburn stayed with Russell for so long and what ultimately led to them switching to Under Armour.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope within a few years (probably longer) Adidas and Russell Athletic would be moving far away from college athletics. Georgia Tech is likely the butt of all jokes by continuing to stick with Russell Athletic. Hopefully, their new AD will make a substantial change in a few years when their contract expires. Adidas used to make good uniforms before they decide to move to TechFit/Rev 30 fabric (circa 2010), now they just look like trash (and yes I am putting it mildly).

I am kinda surprised Miami is considering Adidas considering how bad other schools look. I hope they do the right thing and remain with Nike or move to Under Armour.

Russell is located in/near Atlanta now, so they have reasons to be with GT and vice versa. That was the only reason Auburn stayed with Russell for so long and what ultimately led to them switching to Under Armour.

Russell's headquarters is in Bowling Green, Kentucky, the home of Western Kentucky University.

spacer.png

I would think Miami has to be going with UnderArmor over Adidas. The U is all about style and swag... there is nothing stylish or swaggy about Adidas.

The U (and all other universities) is about money. If adidas pays more, the U will be an adidas school.

Nike never made the authentic basketball jersey and game shorts avalible for purchase for fans, so i don´t really care about this switch. That was all i wanted to buy, but only for teams like Duke, kentucky, UNC(jordan i know) do they release aut. jerseys and shorts.

I know you can´t buy the aut. unis when it´s addidas, wonder if under armour will sell them to fans !

This is surprising but as others have mentioned the only value in miami's brand is when their football program is playing at an elite level. They just don't have the alumni base or draw enough consistent interest to be an elite program if they aren't winning. If we are going to get into a wave of overbidding by aid/ua and nike's going with financially sound bids, are there any schools outside of oregon that nike would really fight and possibly overpay for? Now that miami may be gone you basically have usc, bama, fsu, psu, lsu, tosu uk, duke, g-town and a few others I can't remember in their elite circle. Some of these schools have been footwear clients since the 80's, it would be really strange to see them switch over but then again money talks.

North Carolina won't be leaving Nike in Michael Jordan's life time. But then again, the recruiting cache of the Jordan connection probably means they would stick with Nike/Jordan even if Adidas or UA tried to outbid them.

Nike never made the authentic basketball jersey and game shorts avalible for purchase for fans, so i don´t really care about this switch. That was all i wanted to buy, but only for teams like Duke, kentucky, UNC(jordan i know) do they release aut. jerseys and shorts..I know you can´t buy the aut. unis when it´s addidas, wonder if under armour will sell them to fans !

Outside of club shop sales I've never seen authentic anything for sale at most schools.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nike never made the authentic basketball jersey and game shorts avalible for purchase for fans, so i don´t really care about this switch. That was all i wanted to buy, but only for teams like Duke, kentucky, UNC(jordan i know) do they release aut. jerseys and shorts..I know you can´t buy the aut. unis when it´s addidas, wonder if under armour will sell them to fans !

Outside of club shop sales I've never seen authentic anything for sale at most schools.

Well, by authentic i mean the jerseys and shorts with twill numbers and logos, i know you can´t buy jerseys with names on them, against ncaa rules.

but the aut. shorts are the same the players wear, those you can get in most online stores, not Miami´s though.

Well, by authentic i mean the jerseys and shorts with twill numbers and logos, i know you can´t buy jerseys with names on them, against ncaa rules.

but the aut. shorts are the same the players wear, those you can get in most online stores, not Miami´s though.

Nike hasn't made true authentic basketball jerseys or shorts since the 2001-2002 season. What they make now is basically a "swingman" jersey that they call authentic, but it is not a true authentic and has some differences from a real authentic.

Right, there might be some diferences, like "ACC" missing on the back of jerseys and so on, but i belive the shorts are the same , should be, for $80 worth of paperthin material smh, why do i spend so much money on that stuff ? :facepalm:

I posted something similar a few days ago (with a great marketing reply from Bucfan) as I cannot find the white canes football jersey anywhere except one place (but I won't pay full price). I have never seen the orange canes basketball stuff for sale. I have the twill black jersey and shorts. I'm not as well versed in basketball, so I ordered the green and also white sets. Boy was I surprised when they came with rubber numbers, rubber dots in place of holes in the shorts, and pockets in the shorts.

I hope Nike and Miami stay together, but $ talks for Miami and prestige talks for Nike.

KISSwall09.jpg

Under Armour won't help too much with the retail basketball gear. Auburn is in the 3rd year of wearing the current uniforms, and I just now saw a jersey, let alone the shorts, in the stores. And the material is so flimsy and paperthin. I wear the old jersey at games and they are much better quality. The UA logo is actually embroidered on on the old jerseys, whereas the entire current one is screen printed. On the back of the jersey, above the nameplate, is a small AU button. The online stores show that the retail jerseys do indeed have a button. The one I saw yesterday had the button screen printed. It was pretty lackluster.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Right, there might be some diferences, like "ACC" missing on the back of jerseys and so on, but i belive the shorts are the same , should be, for $80 worth of paperthin material smh, why do i spend so much money on that stuff ? :facepalm:

I posted something similar a few days ago (with a great marketing reply from Bucfan) as I cannot find the white canes football jersey anywhere except one place (but I won't pay full price). I have never seen the orange canes basketball stuff for sale. I have the twill black jersey and shorts. I'm not as well versed in basketball, so I ordered the green and also white sets. Boy was I surprised when they came with rubber numbers, rubber dots in place of holes in the shorts, and pockets in the shorts.

I hope Nike and Miami stay together, but $ talks for Miami and prestige talks for Nike.

right, i have those shorts as well, where the U is on one leg and it says miami down the other leg ? really wanted them in green, but nike won´t sell them to fans....guess it´s a football school first

Miami football mired in mediocrity for a decade.

Switching from Nike won't help.

Otoh, looking forward greatly to picking up Nike branded UT-Knoxville gear.

Lose one, gain one.

So what you are saying is: switching apparel manufacturer will not make the athletic teams of the U any better ? Goddamnit ! Not the news i wanted right before Christmas.

Guess I was saying since they're no longer dominating like they did from 1983-2003 one of the positives was they still had Nike branded gear.

Pretty fickle but I'm partial to the aesthetics of the swoosh and prefer that vs the busy Adidas logo or the nascent UA one.

The green/orange combo The U has is the only version in major college football so I hope the change falls through.

So the new football uniforms lasted what, a whole year? Hopefully whoever they go with they return to being green and orange and get rid of the "smoke" uniforms

allcanes.com is the only place I've ever seen the new white jersey for sale...and they have ALL nike (including basketball) jerseys on sale as well as things like polo shirts/hats/etc...is it a Christmas sale...or a NIKE sale.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived