8BW14's NFL Redesign: Monochrome Madness

8BW14

This has been a long time in the making and when I started this project there hadn't been an NFL redo on here for a while, so I thought what the heck, I'll give this a shot after I went back and took a look at some of my previous NFL concepts and saw how boring and honestly sloppy most of them were. With this concept I challenged myself to think outside the box and go farther that either throwing back to a previous look or just a simple uniform recolor. The most challenging part of this project was working with the handful of team logos that I completely redesigned. I also did some color changes and updates as well. With the logos, I was going for something that was bold, instantly recognizable and captured the essence of the team well.

The Logos:

nfl%20logo%20sheet_zpsvnmypvi7.png

Click for Full Size

The Uniforms:

The uniforms will be presented one at a time in alphabetical order every other day or so. I created my own jersey and pant template. I also tweaked the template as needed to fit the design of any one particular team. I did not want the design of the uniform to be hindered by the template.

Each team will be presented in what I have designated as their primary home and away uniforms. I opted to go without alternates because I believe that if each uniform is going to be worn a maximum of 8 times throughout the season, it should be your best look that doesn't need to "supplemented" by a third jersey or multiple helmets.

Okay, well thanks for taking a look at this and I would love to hear what you think about the new logos. The Arizona Cardinals' uniforms will be up tomorrow and feel free to offer any C&C because I would love to hear what everyone thinks but I can't promise I will change anything before every team is out there.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to take a look. I really appreciate it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see the Cardinals! A few things about the logos:

• The Eagles logo should looks a little more modern. I think it looks a lot like the outdated logo of the 70s/80s.
  • The Seahawks logo looks a little odd with one part of it white while the rest of it gray. Try removing gray or white, but it looks odd with both of them like that.
  • Steelers logo might looks better with the circle around it, but that's just a weak opinion and definitely shouldn't be at the top of the updating list.

I think you have a good start. Can't wait for this to get going!

I instantly love your redesigns of the Chargers and Ravens logos. I love badge-shaped logos and I think the Ravens logo looks clean and awesome!

I'm not sure about the Eagles – but only because it's too small to judge.

I don't really like the Cleveland Browns initial logo. It looks too generic and bland to me. I'm no fan of the C.

The new Titans logo looks nice, but I would prefer it being more colorful. Right now white is the dominating color. Or you might thicken the outlines in general to get almost the same effect.

Don't know about the Chiefs redesign. Yours is nice and I like it, no doubt! But I find it almost too modern for a team like Kansas City, crazy as it sounds.

Not sure if dropping black on the 49ers oval logo was the best decision. Hard to tell due to the tiny size of the images.

Could you probably upload some logo details, larger files, especially to take a closer look at your Eagles logo?

All in all, nice job! Keep up the good work!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I instantly love your redesigns of the Chargers and Ravens logos. I love badge-shaped logos and I think the Ravens logo looks clean and awesome!

I don't really like the Cincinnati Bengals initial logo. It looks too generic and bland to me. I'm no fan of the C.

The new Titans logo looks nice, but I would prefer it being more colorful. Right now white is the dominating color. Or you might thicken the outlines in general to get almost the same effect.

Don't know about the Chiefs redesign. Yours is nice and I like it, no doubt! But I find it almost too modern for a team like Kansas City, crazy as it sounds.

Not sure if dropping black on the 49ers oval logo was the best decision. Hard to tell due to the tiny size of the images.

Could you probably upload some logo details, larger files, especially to take a closer look at your Eagles logo?

The CB logo is the Cleveland Browns, not the Bengals. But you are right about it

17+Fiest+Bowl_sig.png

I don't really like the Cincinnati Bengals initial logo. It looks too generic and bland to me. I'm no fan of the C.

The CB logo is the Cleveland Browns, not the Bengals. But you are right about it

Right! My bad!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate the comments.

Go Red Sox: I will show bigger images of the new logos with their respect teams. What you said about the Chiefs is interesting because I really designed the new uniforms around the more modern logo and I'm really happy with it. It's a departure from the past but I the new logo definitely works well with the new logo. I agree with you on the Titans. There is a lot of white, its especially obvious at the small size so I think I will re-work it.

I kind of expected the reaction to the Browns logo to be mixed. It was probably the hardest logo to do because their identity isn't really anything concrete. It's tradition, a blue collar work ethic, those kind of things. I was going for something with a bold, simple, industrial feel that has a sense of strength about it. I have another Browns logo that I was working with but I ultimately went with this one. I would be glad to how the other one if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for all of the comments everybody. Please stay tuned for the Cardinals tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate the comments.

Go Red Sox: I will show bigger images of the new logos with their respect teams. What you said about the Chiefs is interesting because I really designed the new uniforms around the more modern logo and I'm really happy with it. It's a departure from the past but I the new logo definitely works well with the new logo. I agree with you on the Titans. There is a lot of white, its especially obvious at the small size so I think I will re-work it.

I kind of expected the reaction to the Browns logo to be mixed. It was probably the hardest logo to do because their identity isn't really anything concrete. It's tradition, a blue collar work ethic, those kind of things. I was going for something with a bold, simple, industrial feel that has a sense of strength about it. I have another Browns logo that I was working with but I ultimately went with this one. I would be glad to how the other one if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for all of the comments everybody. Please stay tuned for the Cardinals tomorrow.

Sounds good. Of course we wanna see your other Browns logo, too! Looking forward to see your next uploads. Definitely an interesting thread!

I really like the new Chargers logo, and the update of the Ravens looks really good too. The one that looks most out of place to me is the Chiefs. In my opinion, this is a pretty big downgrade from what they currently have. I think it might be the thinness of the outside line that keeps it from looking like a professional logo. The odd angles also hinder it. I would go with 90 degree angles like their current logo instead of the lines that tilt so far to the nose of the logo. (I hope you get what I'm trying to say.) Also, I'm not really a fan of how so much of the K is hidden by the C.

award%20sig.png

Okay so here we go. The very first team is the Arizona Cardinals. I think what they wear now is an absolute waste of fabric. I hate piping in general and the yoke on the white jersey is atrocious. The Cardinals are an old franchise and they don't need to be wearing some hip clownsuits. I prefer simple any day of the week and that's where I took the Arizona Cardinals.

cardinalspresentation_zps5cf279a5.png

I went with some simple cuff and collar striping and a traditional pant stripe that the Cardinals have used in the past. Also I went with a white facemask to update the helmet so to speak (and I'm not going to change it to red. . . ever. Maybe back to grey but not red). Anyway here they are, The Arizona Cardinals.

Also, here's the logo for the Browns that I scrapped for the other one.

browns_zps91b072e9.png

Thanks for your time everybody. I would love to hear your thoughts on the Cardinals and Browns.

Not a bad start for the Cardinals. I'd say replace the font with a block font, apply the striping to the sleeves, and move the numbers to the shoulders.

Cool idea for the Browns, but I prefer their current secondary logo

. cleveland_browns_logo_3992.png

It incorporates the striping, football, and B into one logo.

I really like the new Chargers logo, and the update of the Ravens looks really good too. The one that looks most out of place to me is the Chiefs. In my opinion, this is a pretty big downgrade from what they currently have. I think it might be the thinness of the outside line that keeps it from looking like a professional logo. The odd angles also hinder it. I would go with 90 degree angles like their current logo instead of the lines that tilt so far to the nose of the logo. (I hope you get what I'm trying to say.) Also, I'm not really a fan of how so much of the K is hidden by the C.

Appreciate the thoughts. The Chargers and Ravens are actually probably my favorites of the whole series. I definitely see where you are coming from with the chiefs. The likes do come across as kind of weak at the small size an I agree the lines could probably be heavier. The arrangement of the KC was deliberate but the monogram might work better without outline of the C cutting off the leg of the K.

Hopefully when this Chiefs logo is seen with the new uniforms, which are a pretty big departure from the Chiefs' historical look, the changes will make sense. I definitely will make the lines heavier though because the logo dues suffer at small sizes currently.

So maybe a B would represent the Cleveland Browns better? Since I already have all the teams done I'm just going to go ahead and reveal a team every day to keep this thread moving along. I've note some of the comments on the Cardinals and I'll take those into account if it make any changes.

The next team in line is the Atlanta Falcons, another team in a mess of piping with weird inserts all over the jerseys and pants. They are lifeless and boring and to me they look like a catalog order (probably because they are for so many high school teams). Once again I wanted to simplify an overly complicated uniform. The first thing I did was throwback to the red helmet because I think the logo just pops off of the red helmet. The number font is based on the word mark and I think the wings on the shoulder make the uniform modern without going overboard. I chose to go without stripes on the pants for fear of it being too busy along with the shoulder wings and I did break my rule about repeating a helmet logo on another part of the uniform but the logo works here, I think.

falconspresentation_zpsc77d4a90.png

So what does everyone think? I would love to hear some comments. Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

Archived