Luke_Groundrunner

UNC Wilmington Seahawks have officially unveiled their new Athletics logo today (January 28, 2015)

56 posts in this topic

It was announced today that on January 28, 2015 the UNC Wilmington Seahawks will be unveiling a new logo/brand identity.

The current logo, which debuted in 1992 will be retired after this season.

15llzzexklljt8bef5i4ul1r4.png

Here's a link to an article from WECT.com on the matter.

http://www.wect.com/story/27664813/uncw-hopes-new-athletics-logo-will-boost-merchandise-sales

from the article:

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

UNC Wilmington athletics is getting a new look. Officials expect the makeover will bring in more money for the university through increased merchandise sales and licensing fees.

The visual identity - to be unveiled next month - will include a new primary logo and other design elements. The current logo debuted in 1992. Rob Aycock, senior associate athletic director, called the design “a wonderful piece of art” but said the department needs something more “aggressive” and “aspirational.”

The year-long process to create the new design involved input from athletes, students, faculty and staff, Aycock said.

The process was overseen by design firm Joe Bosack and Company, whose portfolio includes work for Wichita State, Xaiver University and Mississippi State.

UNCW auxiliary services, which manages the university's licensing, funded the $26,500 design process. “The process has no negative budget impact on Athletics,” Aycock said.

He explained the money couldn't have been used to help save the four track programs that will be cut next year.

“We think that this is going to be money well spent, to open up new revenue streams to better support our student athletes in the future,” Aycock explained.

The new logo will be unveiled Jan. 28 when Seahawks men's basketball teams hosts Elon.

UPDATE: [Jan-28-15] UNC Wilmington Seahawks have officially unveiled their new Athletics logo today.

UNCW-.png

So what do you all think?

note: UNCW will be keeping the old primary logo on as an alternate, and will be used in a limited capacity.

1 person likes this

Finally that logo sucked

1 person likes this

It's ABOUT TIME...that old logo looked like it was for a bank. (I think you can see where I'm coming from)

Now if only the folks at Niagara could work on a replacement for that jagged blob they call a Purple Eagle.

15llzzexklljt8bef5i4ul1r4.png

I never liked this as an athletic logo. It suits the academic side though.

Given the current financial state of UNC-W athletics, I'm surprised they ponied up for a new set of logos. From everything on the news/Internet, it sounds like they are almost bankrupt over there.

Either way, it's about time - it's not good when this mark: 150px-UNC_Wilmington_Script_Logo.jpg is getting more wear around the state than your primary.

That logo was pretty bad. Glad their getting rid of it.

Given that UNC Wilmington's color scheme is pretty unique in college athletics and the fact that this is another Bosack project has me thinking this should turn out really nice. An updated version of that bird and wave would keep the aquatic feel but we'll have too wait and see. Looking forward to the unveiling.

1 person likes this

Yea just don't touch the blue, sea foam green & cream and this will be an upgrade.

I'm excited to share this one, I think it turned out really nice. It is indeed a departure from some of the work we have done in the past, but that's one of the things I really like about it...

I'm excited to share this one, I think it turned out really nice. It is indeed a departure from some of the work we have done in the past, but that's one of the things I really like about it...

Is navy, sea foam green and cream still the colors? I hope so it is way too unique to get rid of.

I'm a big fan of your work Joe. I can't wait to see what you've done with the UNC logo.

UNCW has one of the top5 color schemes in the NCAA no doubt. Anxiously awaiting this new logo.

1 person likes this

Black and white versions of the new UNCW logos:

DnnfEcx.jpgDrPiwyv.jpg40NM1mP.jpg

Source??

I hope the color scheme is not messed up.....

I hope the color scheme is not messed up.....

This is posted on the UNCW Athletics official Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/uncwathletics):

ICYMI: The fifth piece of the new athletics logo was unveiled during Saturday's big win over East Carolina.

ZlQSGR1.jpg

It looks like they'll keep a similar color scheme.

Black and white versions of the new UNCW logos:

DnnfEcx.jpgDrPiwyv.jpg40NM1mP.jpg

Shape reminds me of UT-Martin

61-61497.jpg