UNC Wilmington Seahawks have officially unveiled their new Athletics logo today (January 28, 2015)

Luke_Groundrunner

It was announced today that on January 28, 2015 the UNC Wilmington Seahawks will be unveiling a new logo/brand identity.

The current logo, which debuted in 1992 will be retired after this season.

15llzzexklljt8bef5i4ul1r4.png

Here's a link to an article from WECT.com on the matter.

http://www.wect.com/story/27664813/uncw-hopes-new-athletics-logo-will-boost-merchandise-sales

from the article:

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

UNC Wilmington athletics is getting a new look. Officials expect the makeover will bring in more money for the university through increased merchandise sales and licensing fees.

The visual identity - to be unveiled next month - will include a new primary logo and other design elements. The current logo debuted in 1992. Rob Aycock, senior associate athletic director, called the design “a wonderful piece of art” but said the department needs something more “aggressive” and “aspirational.”

The year-long process to create the new design involved input from athletes, students, faculty and staff, Aycock said.

The process was overseen by design firm Joe Bosack and Company, whose portfolio includes work for Wichita State, Xaiver University and Mississippi State.

UNCW auxiliary services, which manages the university's licensing, funded the $26,500 design process. “The process has no negative budget impact on Athletics,” Aycock said.

He explained the money couldn't have been used to help save the four track programs that will be cut next year.

“We think that this is going to be money well spent, to open up new revenue streams to better support our student athletes in the future,” Aycock explained.

The new logo will be unveiled Jan. 28 when Seahawks men's basketball teams hosts Elon.

UPDATE: [Jan-28-15] UNC Wilmington Seahawks have officially unveiled their new Athletics logo today.

UNCW-.png

So what do you all think?

note: UNCW will be keeping the old primary logo on as an alternate, and will be used in a limited capacity.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ABOUT TIME...that old logo looked like it was for a bank. (I think you can see where I'm coming from)

Now if only the folks at Niagara could work on a replacement for that jagged blob they call a Purple Eagle.

bYhYmxh.png

Given the current financial state of UNC-W athletics, I'm surprised they ponied up for a new set of logos. From everything on the news/Internet, it sounds like they are almost bankrupt over there.

Either way, it's about time - it's not good when this mark: 150px-UNC_Wilmington_Script_Logo.jpg is getting more wear around the state than your primary.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Given that UNC Wilmington's color scheme is pretty unique in college athletics and the fact that this is another Bosack project has me thinking this should turn out really nice. An updated version of that bird and wave would keep the aquatic feel but we'll have too wait and see. Looking forward to the unveiling.

I'm excited to share this one, I think it turned out really nice. It is indeed a departure from some of the work we have done in the past, but that's one of the things I really like about it...

I'm excited to share this one, I think it turned out really nice. It is indeed a departure from some of the work we have done in the past, but that's one of the things I really like about it...

Is navy, sea foam green and cream still the colors? I hope so it is way too unique to get rid of.

Archived