Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened? We were doing so well with Pelicans and then Hornets. The render of the claw into the ball looks sloppy to me. Just plain block type? I'm not against it, just seems arbitrary. Are the claws just merging with the lines of the ball? The ball-footprint logo was far ahead of its time. Sad it doesnt seem itll be around.

Anyway, FWIW, this was something I was working on, very prelim stages - a few weeks old. Was planning to go back and tweak, perhaps talk to the folks I know at the NBA and push this to the organization, but at this point it seems as if they chose what it is. I can't believe the Raptors fell for that if that is the new logo.

Raptors_Covercopy_zps4300609a.png

Raptors_Colorscopy_zpsce63cfb5.png

Raptors_Primarycopy_zps885c3c48.png

Raptors_Sec2_zps7048de3d.png

Raptors_Sec1copy_zpse6288703.png

Secondary 1 would be the perfect primary logo for them... well done.

Thanks for all your feedback. I want to make note that these logos maybe went through one round of edits and still need a lot of work. But just to kind of get the concept down. The side view Raptor is very jurassic-park reminiscent and dont think that would fly. They all need to be fleshed out significantly more and if I get to do that I will definitely re-post.

I'm really not convinced with what they've unveiled so far. and the we the north this is our shield stuff just seems forced/embellished.

Yea i love that set of logos, aside from the primary.

Secondary 1 is a good primary.

I would say push the left side of the raptor behind the roundel (in the primary), as if he's coming through the roundel. Then you could lengthen the red mark so that it's the same length as the other.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Fun tidbit re: raptor meaning bird of prey:

If you play NBA 2k15 one of the commentary lines when the Raptors are playing specifically mentions that the Raptors are moving away from the dinosaur and towards the bird of prey connotation. I believe they even talk about the Jurassic Park parallel with the original expansion.

There's no indication they're abandoning the dinosaur. The "well the claw marks on the new logo could have been made by talons" argument seems really weak to me. It seems obvious, to me anyway, that they reflect the same dinosaur-style claw shape we see on the current alternate logo. I bet you the dinosaur mascot doesn't even even change.

Raptors_Sec1copy_zpse6288703.png

This is my favorite of the logos. The claws on the side make it seem like its in a cage about to come out. Very basic but fierce & savage too. (But it also looks like its taking a picture like the ones you stick your head out of and the back/foreground is different. )

It also reminds me a lot of the logo for the blog Raptors HQ

large_raptorshq.com.full.17945.png

I actually think they made the right choice with most of those. Although I like the red dino bursting out of the maple leaf.

As do I. Now we know that they were at least entertaining a return to purple.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived