Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Raptors, any updates, rumors regarding the "re-brand" ( not that I expect anything but just out of curiosity )?

They only use the new logo on their website for the next season tickets. Snowy version of it actually: :)

hhIJOrj.jpg

Is there any word on whether this new logo will be the primary?

Personally I don't mind it as a secondary logo, but I like more detail and more fun in the primary. I don't understand why sports teams are becoming increasingly averse to fun branding. I mean, it's sports. It's not a law firm or a biotech company. A bright red raptor dribbling a basketball is great. The drawing itself is well done. If they don't like being the Raptors, might as well change the name.

Is there any word on whether this new logo will be the primary?

Personally I don't mind it as a secondary logo, but I like more detail and more fun in the primary. I don't understand why sports teams are becoming increasingly averse to fun branding. I mean, it's sports. It's not a law firm or a biotech company. A bright red raptor dribbling a basketball is great. The drawing itself is well done. If they don't like being the Raptors, might as well change the name.

I thought I heard somewhere that it's the secondary logo. Ideally this would make a very nice secondary.

I am big fan of the cartoon raptor too but I see that a minimal logo has greater versatility and will reach a broader audience. Yes, It's sports, but more importantly its business. One thing's for certain, MLSE will make a lot of money on a rebrand, especially considering the increased interest in the franchise as of late.

True, but I don't see how the cartoon raptor wouldn't sell way more merchandise than just about anything else. Look at how badly Charlotte wanted the hornet back. You can still have the torn ball as a secondary and sell that to anyone that doesn't want a cartoon dinosaur on their shirt.

If they end up keeping the claw as their primary, it will rank as the worst in the league to me.

8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Nah, the claw ball is great. If I was a raptors fan I'd have tons of merch with that logo. Probably not the roundal version so much.

I don't really understand why they keep changing. The purple and red scheme seems really unique but works well. The logos are good and certainly not bland. They just need a better on court product to sell it all.

Its not that the cartoon raptor isn't selling well. It's the general concept of any major rebrand is what sells. It tends to be a big revenue boost for franchises. I large portion of people that already own raptors gear will now feel the need to make the update. This new one does seen to be receiving its fair share of hate though hehe. Typical growing pains. I think it will grow on people once its in action. The design firm is definitely no slouch when it comes to success. I'd say they probably know what they are doing. I agree it has not been designed to please the real fans though. Its more about creating a sellable mass market product. Just look at the success of the we the north campaign. All about creating a dark, more rebellious, hipster-centric theme. Exactly the kind of thing that makes a hit on intstagram :) Not a bad thing though. Even though bandwagoners are annoying, if they keep the seats full I'll take em.

I may be one of the only ones, but I have always thought the Raptors current alternative logo was hard to look at. From a design priciples perspective its pretty unbearable. Something about the height of it just doesn't sit well with me. Ridiculously unbalanced and just plain tacky in my opinion.

The point I was trying to make is that winning solves a lot of problems. The bulls, celtics, Knicks, lakers don't change their looks much more than a tweak occasionally and have historic/classic looks. Success helped establish those looks. With more success I doubt the Raptors would feel they need to change. Playing around with uniforms seems to be a band-aid move quite often. I get that they'd love to be in the finals every year and success is easier said than done. It's just sad to see looks you like go in favor of more generic ones.

I'd like to see them make everyone happy by going in all directions. They can do this by bringing back the half black, half purple jerseys from the Carter era. Black and Gold on the back, Purple, Red, and Silver on the front. And then just reverse it for the alternate.

I'd like to see them make everyone happy by going in all directions. They can do this by bringing back the half black, half purple jerseys from the Carter era. Black and Gold on the back, Purple, Red, and Silver on the front. And then just reverse it for the alternate.

This!!^^^
shado_logo.gif

The only thing that bugs me is that the left side of the ball looks like the American flag. It has kind of a Washington Wizards primary or New England Revolution feel to it, in that it looks like the left side of the ball is an abstract rendering of the American flag, even though that is not what they are going for at all. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me, but when you are the ONE non-American team in the entire association, you should do something to claim that, and evoking the American flag in your logo, particularly a LOGO THAT IS TRYING TO EMPHASIZE THAT YOU ARE NORTH OF THE BORDER, whether intentional or not, seems silly.

Archived