Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that bad of a logo. But in a basketball world, it's sort of a layup, while something like the Hornets logo is a half court shot.

No, the Hornets logo should have been fast break dunk. Instead, the player acted like an clown, tossed the ball off the backboard, did a 360 spin, and hit his head on the rim while losing the ball.

Also, this logo is forgettably poor. Not terrible, not good. Just kinda there, sorta like the franchise (yes, I know they've been good this season).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

One thing this does is takes away the strict notion of the "Raptor" as a (cartoon) dinosaur. Raptor can also refer to a bird of prey, and the three claw marks can easily be said to have come from a bird of prey's front three talons.

In a sense, it is sort of like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays being rebranded as the Tampa Rays, but not exactly. While the rebranding to the Rays included the addition of a sunburst (along with keeping the manta ray on the sleeve) and a change in name to have a double meaning (in effect adding a new meaning), this changes just makes it more of ambiguous. Are the claw marks from the earlier dinosaur-- or an eagle or hawk? Up to the fan to decide.

Regardless, I think it is boring and uninspired.

It is what it is.

Awful.

Tbh, the current claw/ball secondary they have is a far better logo and should've been upgraded to primary if they were going to do this.

My thoughts exactly. The current claw logo is basically the same concept only lightyears better. Put it in place of this new mark and I'm happy with the outcome.

I'm just wondering, could it have been "leaked" on purpose with the intention the see people's reaction before being finalized as the new logo?

Raptors just tweeted this image...

B5P7Z3ECYAEIN24.jpg

Also, team reported said he can confirm that this is the new logo but that the uniforms and final color scheme would be coming at a later date.

So those colors (red, black, silver, and gold) are not final? That would be good. So I'm hoping that means it's not too late to add in purple and substract the gold. They need to leave certain colors to the Pelicans, and fix up their logo a bit so it doesn't look exactly like Brooklyn.

I'm just wondering, could it have been "leaked" on purpose with the intention the see people's reaction before being finalized as the new logo?

My money is on that. I also wonder if they unveiled those colors, etc. to gauge the masses opinion. Odds are we'll probably only see _____, black and white as the color scheme, not all four.

EDIT: Oh, and I really hate that font. Really bad.

My money is on that. I also wonder if they unveiled those colors, etc. to gauge the masses opinion. Odds are we'll probably only see _____, black and white as the color scheme, not all four.

EDIT: Oh, and I really hate that font. Really bad.

And if that's the case the fact the Brooklyn, ripped it means that it will never be used cause it's gonna ruffle trademark feathers, would it not?

We The North

is our battle cry ... and this ... this is our shield.

And this has nothing to do with the design, but does anyone within the Raptors marketing department have even the slightest comprehension of grammar? Sheeeeesh.

Like everything else about Drake, this comes across as a lesser version of something Jay-Z has already done before.

Shots fired. Can't argue though.

That hat looks pretty awesome though with the ball on its own. The problem is I wouldn't know it was a Raptors hat.

The claws don't look like claws to me. It almost looks like something that's growing, like weeds or ivy or something.

Also it made me think of:

MV5BNDUyODAzNDI1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA2

Actualy it's not claws. It's ripped ball with a claw marks.
With their current three-clawed logo fresh in my mind, it also took me a few seconds to realize that these were rip marks and not claws themselves. I saw the letter E. But seeing this makes appreciate their current claw logo more, with its rough archaeological feel. This bland Nets-looking circle couldn't be more boring.

Like everything else about Drake, this comes across as a lesser version of something Jay-Z has already done before.

But Drake actually expresses some depth rather than just saying "UHH JIGGA UHH" over and over and listing things he owns.

I like the black/gold/silver color scheme, actually, but they should be in Maple Leaf blue and white.

Also, why is it so hard to get that "We The North" is supposed to be a Canadian spin on "We The People"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived