Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

They are not bad. The only thing I would have liked would have been for the alternate and/or the Drake version to be more than just a repaint of the regular jerseys. And Toronto should be at least on one of those jerseys.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The numbering, the inconsistent striping, SMH. Is that it?

5/10

P.S. The numbers' font screams 'Shaq-era Magic" that was de-italicized.

magic-hardaway-shaq.jpg

I'm not getting that "screaming" vibe at all. Plus, the Magic's numbers weren't italicized.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In a vacuum I really like these uniforms. I've always been a fan of the dramatic arch on the wordmark, and I kind of like the number font. The thinner striping is nice, and the "TO" on the shorts is really clever.

HOWEVER, compared to the Raptors previous looks, their history with purple, and the massive potential that was there for a great identity, this "rebrand" is pretty weak.

The numbering, the inconsistent striping, SMH. Is that it?

5/10

P.S. The numbers' font screams 'Shaq-era Magic" that was de-italicized.

magic-hardaway-shaq.jpg

I'm not getting that "screaming" vibe at all. Plus, the Magic's numbers weren't italicized.

My bad. They kinda look alike, that's my point. They do remind me of those numbers above.

The Raptors rebrand wasn't as awful as it was boring. Boring logo. Uniforms that are just kind of a crappier rip off of their old ones. Adding gold unnecessarily into the color scheme. This whole thing was just a new way for Drake to advertise himself.

I agree with everyone saying that they dropped the ball big time by not going back to purple, but this set is definitely an upgrade over the previous one. The v-neck is miles better than the wishbone collar, the chevrons now actually have a meaning (even though it's mostly marketing-speak), and the old font was starting to look pretty dated. The only thing that bothers me is having RAPTORS on every jersey. Does MLSE really think that basketball fans in the ROC won't root for a team that wears a TORONTO jersey? As the Blue Jays have shown, if you put the effort into producing a winning product on the playing field people will support you.

The chevrons now point upwards or "to the north" as they said in the press release, so it just ties into their recent marketing strategies of emphasizing the "We the North" slogan and the fact that they are the only Canadian team in the NBA.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

What are the chevrons suppose to mean? And why would not changing the chevrons magically add meaning to them that wasn't there before?

They now point up, symbolizing "north" (as in We The North).

I don't believe they had any meaning previously.

*UpperV03 beat me to it

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Block font paired with non-block numbers... Why? It looks terrible. Non-block letters with block numbers can work, but I've never seen it work the other way.

Because We the Numbers and We the Font, that's why!

The "T" on the shorts look ridiculous, but they made up for that and then some by adding "We The North" on the upside-down tag below the hem line. O.U.T.S.T.A.N.D.I.N.G. Move by the Raptors by adding that to the uniforms. A++++++++++ upgrade for unifying the players...the fans...the city...the universe with that solemn battle cry. WE...........................ARE....................................THE.................................NORTH..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel this does look good (not great) visually, in a vacuum. I'll echo what others have said, though, it doesn't seem to work with their history.

Their story seemed to be heading toward something with influences from myths and legends in the great unknown. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this. I saw them first get away from showing the full dinosaur a lot and lead into a claw mark. Then they got rid of the purple. Then they started emphasizing the "We the North" wordmark. I feel like the brand was growing up. It was going into territory where the Raptor was thought of sort of like Bigfoot. He wasn't seen a lot, you would just see claw prints here and slashed basketballs there. The "We the North" graphic even looked to be etched into a tree by the townspeople, uniting them in spite of this hidden dinosaur roaming around in their woods. Even with '90s nostalgia in full swing I still think going back to the purple and pinstripes would have been a bad idea. The brand grew, it evolved, and I think that was a good thing. This isn't a step in that continued direction and I feel like because of that, it's a complete airball to me. The fonts should be handmade, inspired by the imaginary local lore. This look seems too polished, too arranged, too...basketbally, for lack of a real word. Thats all I see, basketball jersey with a neat little T on the side. Sure, the font looks fine, but is a decent block font helping to tell your story or does it just look fine on a jersey? Because you can do both. I just was pumped for them to nudge their story along beautifully but I am left disappointed.

Most of you will not read this and if you do read it you'll think I'm crazy. I swear I'm not losing it. I'll be okay guys. Carry on.

The "T" on the shorts look ridiculous, but they made up for that and then some by adding "We The North" on the upside-down tag below the hem line. O.U.T.S.T.A.N.D.I.N.G. Move by the Raptors by adding that to the uniforms. A++++++++++ upgrade for unifying the players...the fans...the city...the universe with that solemn battle cry. WE...........................ARE....................................THE.................................NORTH..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole post is over romanticized.

The Raptors aren't even the most northern team in the league...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived