Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

Call the ballin' Raptor cheesy if you want, but it's original and I personally love it. Not some generic roundel with a picture of a basketball in it. This is a secondary logo at best.

Original? I'm assuming you're an aspiring comedian.

How is it not? Are there any other logos of the team's namesake playing the game? The Wizards, which came along after and looks like clip art.

sig.png

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really thought that with the massive popularity of the throwback merchandise, they'd do the sensible thing and bring back purple. Instead, they mix their generic colour scheme with Drake's personal one, which is going to end up as an absolute clusterf--k.

I don't know how others stand on this, but I think the current claw logo is one of the best logos in the NBA. This one is cheap and uninspired.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

NEWRAPTORSLOGO_zps3a25d017.png

For those who like the purple, and those who don't, I always thought a compromise colour would be nice.

The wine colour might say Cavaliers, but at least it would draw some attention away from the similarity to the Nets.

RAPTORREBRAND_zps7722b965.png

I really thought that with the massive popularity of the throwback merchandise, they'd do the sensible thing and bring back purple. Instead, they mix their generic colour scheme with Drake's personal one, which is going to end up as an absolute clusterf--k.

I don't know how others stand on this, but I think the current claw logo is one of the best logos in the NBA. This one is cheap and uninspired.

Exactly- if you're going to use some form of the claws/ball, use the current one. It's far superior. This is just change for change sakes. The Raptors are finally getting things going. Leave things as they are IMO. The unis need some work, but the logo set is fantastic.

sig.png

Like everything else about Drake, this comes across as a lesser version of something Jay-Z has already done before.

But Drake actually expresses some depth rather than just saying "UHH JIGGA UHH" over and over and listing things he owns.
Drake has all the "depth" of a teenage girl's Facebook statuses. Jay-Z was actually a legit lyricist until he got old and stopped giving a :censored:.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Um...

I think the blue and white version admiral mocked up is the best one so far, but all in all? I just don't like this. It seems like a lesser version of the excellent claw secondary logo. Nets ripoff or not, it's soulless.

Call the ballin' Raptor cheesy if you want, but it's original and I personally love it. Not some generic roundel with a picture of a basketball in it. This is a secondary logo at best.

Original? I'm assuming you're an aspiring comedian.

No, it is original. All in all? I'll miss it after it, and the really solid claw mark secondary, have been replaced by this thing.

The Bucks used to have one:

MilwaukeeBucks1.png

I'd also put the playing raptor above this rather boring and uninspired new logo. There might have been a good idea in the claw/ball, but the execution is flawed at best.

The 90s brought us some really out-there designs, and the Raptors' original colour scheme and uniforms fit that bill. The logo though? I always felt it had sort of a "modern-retro" charm in the style of all of those old mascot logos of years past.

I'll cast my vote as one of the fans who says the anthropomorphic raptor should stay, at least as a third logo, due to it's timeless design and throwback to other human like animals. I'm also with the mob who says it's too close to Brooklyn and involving purple again makes a look more distinctive and allows fans to brand themselves more originally, compared to the slew of red/black or black/white combinations the NBA uses already. In addition, although I like Admiral's mock up in the blue/white color scheme, I don't think every city has to adopt the same palette, unless it was already well established for years, such as Pittsburgh or Arizona/Phoenix.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Today the team took the next step in redefining the Raptors’ identity with the launch of its new primary logo, a circular shield with a ball torn by the unmistakable attack of a Raptor.

The logo will feature the team’s primary colours of red, black, white and silver with an alternate version in black and gold.

Nvm...

Like everything else about Drake, this comes across as a lesser version of something Jay-Z has already done before.

But Drake actually expresses some depth rather than just saying "UHH JIGGA UHH" over and over and listing things he owns.

I like the black/gold/silver color scheme, actually, but they should be in Maple Leaf blue and white.

Also, why is it so hard to get that "We The North" is supposed to be a Canadian spin on "We The People"?

Because Canadians pride themselves in having a separate identity from big brother America, and shoehorning Canadian patriotic slogans into an American template seems like a step backwards?

I for one like the new logo, hope they keep purple in the color scheme.

As for "we the north". It's slangy/hip hop-y. That runs hand n hand with basketball culture. All you grammar nazis need to chill for a sec. If the fan base embraces it and it gets a point across then I see no problem with it.

Archived