Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the Raptor's are actually changing the primary, not just recoloring it and never using it. That's a positive of this rebrand.

But, I'll still miss this guy:

Toronto_Raptors_logo.png

I'll personally miss this alternate, Toronto's "Raptor Humping the Basketball in his Birthday Suit" logo:

6078.gif

I think it's actually pretty solid except the lack of color makes it pretty boring and comparable to Brooklyn's lame-ass design.

Perhaps the biggest issue is that their current secondary is a similar concept with better execution. IMO it should clearly be their primary over this Net-esque roundel or some cartoon Raptor.

How can you take an already awful primary mark, replace its defining colour with another found nowhere else in the identity, and call it your secondary logo with a straight face? Are people actually being paid for this?

So this is what happened...they came up with the logo and couldn't decide if they wanted to have it in current black, red, and silver or Drake-esque black and gold. So someone, probably an intern, went...

I'm surprised so many people want purple back, but I suppose I shouldn't be. I know that Toronto's throwback merch has been quite popular lately. I just think red/purple is an abysmal color combo. Plus, to say that purple is the Raptors' color (not sure who said it here, but I thought I read it) is silly; Phoenix, LA, Sacramento, and Charlotte all wear it.

I think this logo is nice, and it's similarity to Brooklyn's alt logo doesn't really ruin it for me. I will say that I was hoping they'd go a different direction, and that I'm disappointed so many teams are going conservative with their rebrands. However, I think it's more about where design in general has been headed as of late...there is no doubt designers (particularly in sport) have been embracing a simplistic, minimalist approach to logo design, and that's what we are seeing here.

I thought their rebrand would include a different name, as 'Raptors' still strikes me as a bit silly. I am sad they're scrapping the dino logo altogether though. Keep it as an alt logo at least, jeez.

Also, on 'We the North,' yeah it is grammatically incorrect, and even I scratched my head at it initially, but I do believe it has a boldness to it..to a certain extent. Most of the Toronto fans have been eating it up, too. Adding a comma would be nice, though.

One last thought: Anyone blasting Drake's music on here probably has never heard a song other than "Started From the Bottom"...seriously, the guy has talent. I understand music is subjective (much like logo design!), but don't dismiss him as a nobody just because he isn't Jay-Z.

*sorry for textwall*

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

It's entirely passable and decent, but it's also absolutely unnecessary. It's an improvement on the Nets' logo, but it's not an upgrade over the current ball and claw. Keeping purple out though was the right move. It's a dated look and the throwback this year proved it. Red/Black/White works well, and if they keep the uniforms similar to what they have now, no one will mistake them for the Blazers or Heat. The gold alternate version makes no sense however, other than trying to capitalize on those black and gold shirts Drake produced last season.

I honestly hope the Nets sue the absolute s**t out of them.

have you seen tje lakers and clippers logos?

This is an excellent point. How/why did the Clippers create a logo similar to the Lakers' logo when they moved to LA? I've posted on this forum before asking why they even would move to a market with an already massively successful franchise and got a really good response -- hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Logo is "mehh" at best.

I, for one, can't help but see an "E" whenever i look at it (the claw marks/negative space).

So far i can't help but think Drake is trying to help outdo Jay-Z. The logo is better (which doesn't take much), but clearly is 100% inspired by the Nets.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The first version of this logo I saw made it look like the basketball was a purplish gray... almost lavender. Thought that red-black-lavender could have made for an inspired modern take on their old scheme. But alas...

And I'm surprised how many early reports called it a claw as opposed to claw marks.

And if you are going to get a new primary, just promote the claw logo you already have.

Conspiracy theory--I wonder if they are getting away from the dinosaur imagery.

"Raptor" is also a term for a predatory bird. Any set of talons could be the marks on that logo, such as from an eagle, falcon,......or owl!

ovo-owl-150x150.jpg

Is anyone else tired of seeing Basketball logo's mostly feature a Basketball in them? I like the Raptors when they actually had a RAPTOR in the logo. Cool another bounce ball. GO figure....

21 of the 30 professional teams feature a basketball. (Wizards feature 2!)

opposed to :

10 of 30 MLB teams featuring a baseball. (2 feature a bat)

4 of 30 NHL teams that feature a puck. (4 feature a stick)

2 of 32 NFL teams feature a football.

NBA is a joke

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

What's bothering me now about it is that claw marks really wouldn't look like that. if they were scratches, they would be of uniform width. So what exactly is it on the ball?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived