The worst logos in NCAA Division I - Schools that are in dire need of a rebrand.

Luke_Groundrunner

Now that the UNC Wilmington Seahawks are set to unveil a new logo, and brand identity in early 2015, that takes one of the NCAA Division I's worst logos off my list of worst primary logos.

Say goodbye to this logo, it's history after the 2014/15 athletic season is over.

15llzzexklljt8bef5i4ul1r4rvre.png

Here are some of the others on my 'Worst Primary Logo List'. - [uPDATED: Dec 20, 2014]

Worst%20NCAA%20logos_%20%282%29.png

Wofford, JSU Tigers, and Alcorn are at the top of my list, though I can't decide which of those is the outright worst of the worst.

Feel free to add to the list if you feel as though I have missed any.

Also, feel free if you'd like to nominate any non-primary logo(s) as one of the worst in NCAA Division I.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know UNC Wilmington was getting a rebrand, that's good news for sure.

For bad Division 1 schools, a couple come to mind, and I definitely second Lake Superior - the anchor isn't even the same on both sides.
I really want to like Florida A&M, but what they tried to do does not work out well at all.
8087_florida_a&m_rattlers-primary-0.png

While I like the idea behind Jacksonville University's logo (the dolphin jumping through the letters), it's a little outdated now.
5522.png

And I think Southern Illinois Edwardsville speaks for itself in great volumes.

6905_siu_edwardsville__cougars-primary-2

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

This may be unpopular, but both South Carolina and Florida are in need of logo upgrades.

The biggest thing that bothers me about Florida is the prevalence of green. Their logo is 80% green, yet it's (a) not an official school color and (B) found nowhere on their uniforms, save for the logo itself.

It would be like if the Steelers' little chevron/star things grew so big that the red and blue ones ate all the black and yellow off the logo. Minor auxiliary colors are fine to support a logo, but they shouldn't comprise more than the primary colors.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Didn't know UNC Wilmington was getting a rebrand, that's good news for sure.

For bad Division 1 schools, a couple come to mind, and I definitely second Lake Superior - the anchor isn't even the same on both sides.

I really want to like Florida A&M, but what they tried to do does not work out well at all.

8087_florida_a&m_rattlers-primary-0.png

While I like the idea behind Jacksonville University's logo (the dolphin jumping through the letters), it's a little outdated now.

5522.png

And I think Southern Illinois Edwardsville speaks for itself in great volumes.

6905_siu_edwardsville__cougars-primary-2

Crap! I totally forgot about the SIUE Cougars logo. That's definitely one of the worst.

FAMU I don't mind so much, but definitely needs an update.

If Florida wants to upgrade their image, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at what was done by Division 2's San Francisco State Gators, who unveiled a new identity over the summer.

gator_web.png

Something in the same vein as this could easily work for Florida.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

A lot of the ones being shown are non D-1 logos (with one or two sport that play at D1). These are: Colorado College, UAH, Northern Michigan, LSSU, and Bentley.

My least favorite are:

Niagara

UMass Lowell (my alma mater)

Howard

Jackson State

Alabama A&M

Arizona State's pitchfork

Texas Southern

Southern

Grambling State

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

A few more nominees, although I may offend many loyalties (Part 1):

3pr1czgf0mqhfdqfv1mqrvfiq.gif60588462008.gif507235612013.gif62140442012.gifpgajpnw7gro1aao7vczkves9z.gif71058591991.gif05i7bhidxxhy1et8cenggg18k.gifblkfbg8zghmh0m8i7v9lrl5c6.gif74424862007.gif75894422014.gif

No way that Red Wolves logo should be considered one of the worst, that is IMO awesome. The others there don't bother me much, except for that Bently logo, that could be added.

Oh right, I forgot about the Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks, definitely near the top of the worst list, also just remembered the Grambling State Tigers logo as well.

Part 2:

79813572013.gif77815042012.gif87285352010.giff14dh4p8ot36v1exxoazhf03a.gif502396112010.gif

That UTPA (Texas–Pan American) Broncs logo is history after this season as well, infact that school will be defunct.

The details are here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTPA_Broncs

UTPA will merge with the University of Texas at Brownsville to create the new University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV).[3] The University of Texas System stated in July 2014 that "the UTPA athletics program will be converted into the athletics program at UTRGV".[4]

On November 5, 2014, UTRGV's new nickname of Vaqueros was announced.

So the new school athletic team will be known as the Texas Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros or UTRGV Vaqueros.

(quite a mouthful)

Vaqueros = Cowboys in English

Archived