New ESPN score bug

Lights Out

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see something where the bug goes the full length of the screen, like the bottom ticker does, and have the out of town scores come up every once in a while, especially since the majority of fans watching can just access whichever scores and stats they care about with a couple taps on a keyboard or smartphone.

That said, you don't see hardly any graphics go vertical, so I don't mind this change for a little while. These things are best changed up every 3 years or so, to help the graphics remain fresh and vibrant.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

horizontal works so much better for football because for the most part the action on the screen is going that direction, so your eye doesn't to have to do a (even if only a split second) vertical movement to see the score.

On the other hand, baseball is usually more vertical (pitcher pitching to hitter) so a vertical alignment works fine there. Of course there's way more down time in baseball, so it's not a big deal either way.

I could understand a justification of going vertical for football might be that since it is more of a horizontally-broadcasted sport, a vertical scorebug takes up less space that could contain horizontal action.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ESPN has done the "score bug on the bottom of the screen" thing before, albeit much worse than this, and I really don't like this much more than I liked that. The score banner they've used for the past four seasons (and, really, five if you consider the 2010 banner to be an old variant of what they later used) is perfectly fine and I really don't see the need for changing it for the sake of change.

spacer.png

The horizontal one they've been using recently was great. I've always felt these should take up as little room as possible. What's the point of the team's full name, logo, and record? Those are nice to see when the game is going to or returning from a commercial break, but don't add much during the play.

PJU85JF.png

I sort of liked it. It's different (especially with the two logo setup they had there).

Yet, it's only been one out of four so far (still have tonight's Camillia Bowl to go). I'm going to assume that this score bug will be in place for more games down the road (Possibly the CFP Semis and NCG).

So why is the New Mexico bowl using the older horizontal bug instead?

Maybe not all the production trucks have been given the upgraded graphics yet?

Or maybe it's a test run for the score bug they'll use for the playoff games (and maybe the New Year's Six bowls) and use the current for the other games?

Sometimes TV networks use a new score bug for a game, get some feedback, and make changes if deemed worthy. I vaguely remember a Falcons preseason game years ago (Fox maybe?) where they used stadium scoreboard dots for the quarters, and they changed it back to a number once the regular season started.

Your memory serves you correctly. That would've been for the FoxBox that was being experimented and used for 2010-2011.

I do suppose that, if there was ever a time to experiment on new graphics, let it be something like the New Orleans Bowl. I'd rather the package they've used since the 2009 bowl season ride it out, but graphics packages don't last forever and, by ESPN's standards, to use the same package (more-or-less) for five years is actually a damn long time.

spacer.png

Yeah, hopefully it's a test-run, I've gotten used too and feel the old one is just about what you want a scoreboard to be. The logo and record are nice, but as a logo/uniform nerd, I don't even enjoy that, it clutters the whole thing. And yeah, football is too horizontal to take up the valuable vertical space for a scoreboard. Hopefully it's a test run and doesn't last too long, the New Orleans Bowl was the only one today to use it so, yeah.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived