Bigred's Hockey Concepts (Indpls Racers added)

BigRed618

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not have known that was a maple leaf in the new jets logo if you didn't say so, I feel like that could use a little work.

Well, it's not just a leaf. It's meant to look like a W as well. I was trying to come up with a new way to stylize a maple leaf, and came up with this W shape almost by accident. That's where the Jets concept started. Thanks anyway for your input.

These next two concepts are also reposts, and they have a common theme... I try to combine the looks of two eras to make a new identity.

DALLAS STARS

dal_Stars.png

The Stars will never move back to Minnesota. I've made peace with that fact years ago, but with this logo I made from scratch, they can still look just like they did in their early years in the Twin Cities.

SAN JOSE SHARKS

sj_Sharks.png

This one's more for fun than than anything that could replace their current look. Based on the late, great California Golden Seals, I made some tweaks to the seal logo to make him look more like a shark. Thoughts?

Yeah, I didn't think that Sharks idea would go over too well. I'll think of something different for them later. In the meantime...

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Black/Silver version

la_Kings_Home_Black.png

Forum Blue/Gold version

la_Kings_Home_FBlue.png

Another repost from my last thread. I made up a monogram for them before the came up with their own for the Stadium Series. The logo also includes a simplified version of their crown. Which color scheme do you think looks better, by the way? I'm sort of leaning towards the Forum Blue since there are no purple teams in the NHL right now.

COLORADO AVALANCHE

col_Avs.png

The Avs might've been the sharpest-looking bunch on the ice back in 1995, but their look has aged like milk since then. I had to devise a complete rebrand for Colorado. As you can guess, I drew a lot of inspiration from the Quebec Nordiques and the old Colorado Rockies. The primary came to me bit by bit. Initially, I just wanted to make a jazzed-up version of what they have now, a mountain shaped like an A with a puck rushing downward surrounded by snow, then I decided to just focus on the snow and ice, which brought me to what you see now. The secondary is derived from the Rockies and Nordiques, and was actually a logo from an early draft of the concept.

Sometime this coming week, I'd like to make a blue alternate to go with this, but what do you think so far?

sorry, just not a fan of the earlier work.

I will comment on the Av's concept. The logo is pretty cool but the jersey design would look terrible in real life. Think about how the sleeves would fall when it's actually on a player... None of it makes sense.

Arm numbers on the forearms? Makes no sense considering you have the current design slim down to a single panel where the numbers would normally go and be the perfect place to put them.

The bottom stripes feature a double blue stripe but shoulders only feature a single stripe? No consistency.

And your numbers are all wrong. Is the player #12 or #21? You need to flip your arm numbers when you do fronts and backs of jerseys.

Not trolling by any means, just a bit of advise, pay a little more attention to detail.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I am a long time lurker and hardly post here much, but I felt compelled to login right now and tell you that you Avalanche concept is one of the best hockey concepts I've ever seen!

I would buy both the home and away sweaters right now if those were real. Awesome logo, really creative striping. Great job!

sorry, just not a fan of the earlier work.

I will comment on the Av's concept. The logo is pretty cool but the jersey design would look terrible in real life. Think about how the sleeves would fall when it's actually on a player... None of it makes sense.

Arm numbers on the forearms? Makes no sense considering you have the current design slim down to a single panel where the numbers would normally go and be the perfect place to put them.

The bottom stripes feature a double blue stripe but shoulders only feature a single stripe? No consistency.

And your numbers are all wrong. Is the player #12 or #21? You need to flip your arm numbers when you do fronts and backs of jerseys.

Not trolling by any means, just a bit of advise, pay a little more attention to detail.

Thanks for your honest input. I went with this striping pattern to more or less mimic how the logo looks. It was inspired by how the Avalanche looked before Reebok took over, with its jagged lines to mimic a mountainous skyline. I think I can fix the problem you pointed out about how the numbers are positioned and still make the icy effect work. I will also make the striping pattern on the yoke and hem match a little better.

By the way, the number here was meant to be 12. I made the sleeve number 21 by accident. I apologize for the snafu and will fix it as part of the update.

COLORADO AVALANCHE -- Take 2

col_Avs.png

I addressed a few flaws that were brought to my attention. Striping pattern is fixed, numbers are the way they should be, made some minor adjustments to the shoulder patch, and added a third jersey that should really put the "color" in Colorado.

MINNESOTA WILD

min_Wild.png

Recently the Wild went with more traditional jersey designs, so I thought they could use a logo that matches that style a little better. The cream is replaced with yellow, and a thin stripe is added to the hem to match the phantom yoke.

C&C is appreciated.

I did agree with everything Worcat said earlier.

The whole Avalanche design doesn't fit well with me. Obviously others love it but I'll post my opinion anyway.

The logo is a cool idea with the flying puck and 'C' but I think the 'flying streak' could be done better to fit the Avalanche name. Right now it looks very digital. When I think Avalanche I think of mountains, rugged terrain. I honestly don't get Avalanche at all from this design.

In your recent update you fix some problems the jersey had but the continuity is still flawed I think on the home jersey. I think the hem needs to match the arms or be completely opposite of it. However, just one part of it is colored blue and for me it throws that whole jersey off. The away is well done, its consistent and is a good design.

I think a cool logo idea would be to take that flying puck idea but make the streak look almost..mountainy..rugged and sharp rather than smooth and futuristic.

Others have clearly liked it though, so your call on any changes from now on.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

chi_Hawks.png

For once, I've decided not to try to fix what's not broken. As a Blues fan, I should hate the Hawks, but damned if they aren't one of the best-dressed teams in sports. I had no problem, however, with experimenting a little with a third jersey for them. Heavily inspired by their late-20s monochrome jerseys, I also included a sash on the front, a popular design element among European hockey teams, but rarely seen in North America.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

clb_Jackets.png

The Jackets have a sash too, but this one's on their home jersey. I also tried to put together a new logo for them. I wasn't thinking of any particular team when I made it, but in hindsight, I might have been subconsciously inspired by that other NHL team that played in Ohio, the short-lived Cleveland Barons.

C&C, please. More to come!

Great job with the Blackhawks, I'm not entirely sure how well the sash would look on the Jackets with that stripe pattern, maybe change it up on the home jersey, but I love the away. For the Jackets logo, get rid of the blue ends on the "C", I get that it's supposed to make a banner, but it isn't necessary and doesn't look that great IMO.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Your designs are hit and miss for me. The ones that are good are really good, but the ones that are bad are, well, not very good.

The Calgary Flames one is beautiful, though. It's a very unique jersey design that doesn't stretch the limits too far and still ties in some past and present. Although I'm not a huge fan of black for the Flames, I actually think you could find a way to fit it in there somehow. But it looks fine without.

For the Colorado Avalanche concept; the logo itself is really neat. I like the abstractness of it, it fits other abstract(ish) hockey logos (i.e. Flyers, Blues, Ducks) that look really great on jerseys. That being said, it just doesn't really fit for a team called the "Avalanche." If They were called the Denver Coloradans, then sure, of course it would fit.

The Kings one is pretty decent too, actually. If you thicken up the letters in "LA" I think you'd have a really solid logo (better than what the Kings currently use).

The rest of the concepts to me are just kind of "meh." I like that you're experimenting with different designs, however, as that's refreshing to see, and that's the main reason I took the time to comment here.

So, keep at it, I'll be checking back when you post more work!

Archived