Bigred's Hockey Concepts (Indpls Racers added)

BigRed618

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

pit_Pens.png

Fans are divided on how the Penguins should look. Many say they looked their best back in the 80s, with their yellow sleeves and their unique stripe pattern, others say they're fine as they are now, the vegas gold lending them a smooth, modern look. I try to please both sides of the argument by taking the Pens' current jerseys and adding a little bit of the 80s look to it. Then I made a gold third jersey inspired by the old Pittsburgh Pirates. Yes, they were a different team, but their 1929 jersey, with its thin stripes and huge triangle on the front, suits the Penguins to a T.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

van_Canucks.png

My favorite Canucks logo has always been the Stick-N-Rink, the one that makes a C. I decided to take it a step further by adding a V-shape to the back of it. Some say it reminded them of a whale, but that was a happy accident on my part. The jerseys are the same cut as those worn at the 2009 All-Star Game. The third jersey is a little more down-to-earth. I'm not a huge fan of Johnny Canuck, but I know he is a very popular logo, so I used it.

C&C appreciated. I'll do either Tampa Bay or Carolina next.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like there's a little bit too much going on with the penguins home and away, I would get rid of some of the panels. I, for one, like the old gold for the penguins as opposed to the yellow, so I'm happy to see that stay.

On the Canucks, I would use sharp rather than rounded edges on the new "V" section of the logo. I'm not a huge fan of the green side of the jersey, but that might just be personal preference, I don't really like any asymmetry on a uniform.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

The Canucks logo simply isn't working. If you hadn't stated that a "V" had been added, I would have never guessed. That being said, the All Star template works surprisingly well with those beautiful colours and the alternate looks sharp as well. I think if you just used the current stick n' rink you'd have something really solid.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS Take 2

van_Canucks.png

Nobody was too keen to my modification of the Stick-N-Rink, so I went back to the current version.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

car_Canes.png

Many were outraged when the Hurricanes redesigned their uniforms last year. The Canes weren't the Canes without that trademark hurricane flag pattern on their jerseys. I personally thought it looked a bit tacky, but it seems I'm in the minority. I've seen many concepts made that were, to one degree or another, similar to the ones they've worn since they arrived in Raleigh in '97. Mine is no different, but you know me, I always want to try something different. I thought putting something between the flags, creating more of a pattern, would be easier on the eyes.

I like what you did with the "Canes.

Carolina had something unique and meaningful with their old striping, and then they just went "cookie-cutter".

The shoulder patches could be larger and further down on the shoulders, and I'm not sure if you need the grey stripes,

but other than that , they look good!

HOUSTON APOLLOS

hou_Apollos.png

Someone else was working on an NHL Houston concept, so I thought I'd throw my own hat into the ring. The colors were taken directly from the WHA's Aeros. The logo, found on the shoulders, depicts a celestial scene, and also makes the shape of an "a."

I would have to see that "starry" pattern on the jerseys in real life to know if I'd like it, but it's definitely an interesting idea. The rest of the uniform is great. I feel like the logo is a tiny bit boring, especially the font. It took me a little while to find the "a", but it's a nice touch.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

tb_Bolts.png

The Lightning were one of the later teams to hop onto the traditionalist movement when they went to blue and white for the 2011 season. I wasn't too excited about their new primary, and, along with many others, I was also annoyed that the jerseys were borrowing a little too much from the Leafs. One thing I did like, however, was that shoulder patch, so I made that the basis for my own rebranding of the Bolts. I think the biggest issue I have with their current logos is that they just don't look like they go together. The primary is sort of an oval shape, while the secondary is basically a circular version of the primary. There's no consistency there.

Anyway, the jerseys are similar to the ones worn from '92 to '07, plus a few quirks. I came up with the diagonal stripes to represent rainfall.

Here's another idea I've had for awhile...

original_Six_Logo.png

It's a special patch to be worn by the Original Six. It could go on the left breast, or somewhere on the hem perhaps. I'm also thinking about coloring the shield to match those of the teams, so it doesn't stick out too much. I'll update my Habs, Bruins, and Hawks concepts to include the patch to see how it looks when I get the time.

That Lightening concept looks pretty spectacular. I like the idea of the O6 patch, but I'm not sure about the application. I'd like to see it applied to one of your concepts first to get a better idea of how well it works.

...and you're gonna see it right now.

MONTREAL CANADIENS Take 2

mtl_Habs.png

Montreal and the Rangers happen to be playing tonight, so I chose those teams to test out my O-VI patch. I decided to make the shield change colors to match the team, so it looks more like part of the uniform rather than just a promotional patch.

NEW YORK RANGERS

ny_Rags.png

I replaced the script on the road jersey with "NEW YORK." I just feel it makes more sense this way. I also came up with a cool new secondary logo to wear on the shoulders. C&C is always appreciated.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Take 2

chi_Hawks.png

BOSTON BRUINS Take 2

bos_Bruins.png

Nothing too much to see here. I just edited the rest of the O6 teams I did to include the patch.

FLORIDA PANTHERS

fla_Cats.png

Like everybody else, I was not very impressed with the Cats' double-blue third jersey worn from '09 to '12, but I did like the new logos that came with it, so I used those for my Panthers concept. C&C, please and thank you.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

tor_Leafs.png

What I love most about the Leafs is that while they are a near-100-year-old team, they aren't afraid of evolving. Their jerseys, as well as their logo, have underwent many changes throughout the years, and they've always managed to look good regardless. My concept is sort of a mashup between the northwestern stripes of their 1967 jerseys and their modern-style look worn from 1970 to 1992. C&C appreciated, as always.

OTTAWA SENATORS

ott_Sens.png

The Senators were meant to be the spirtual successors of the NHL team that played there before, having borrowed their name and their colors, I thought the Sens should embrace their roots a little more, so I made a design based on the famous barberpole jerseys of yesteryear. My design is a nod to their history, both recent and ancient, and I really wanted to see more gold on their jerseys. C&C, please and thank you.

DETROIT RED WINGS

det_Wings.png

Don't get me wrong, I think the Wing's uniforms are fine the way they are, but I've been getting rather annoyed about fans' attitude towards these jerseys, acting like they are God's gift to athletic fashion. Don't believe me? Go to the images of the jersey on the mothership and check out the Disqus comments. Any comments that criticise the design are quickly shouted down by overzealous nerds with nothing to say about why the jerseys are so great besides "it's classic" or "it's traditional." Man, I hate that word!

Anyway, on to my concept. Only thing I changed on the home is moving the hem stripe up just a hair so it matches the one on the road jersey better. The jerseys also have a shoulder patch now. It's an old logo used by the Detroit Cougars. I thought it would look appropriate enough as a Red Wings logo, so I brought it back. I also made up a third jersey, also inspired by the team's heroic age, and uses their jaunty script logo as the crest.

BUFFALO SABRES

buf_Sabres.png

I'm not even a Sabres fan, but I too was overjoyed when they returned to their classic roundel in 2010. And like many others, there were some things I liked about the new Sabres and things I didn't. First thing to go was the gray. It was a good enough idea, but I feel it wasn't implemented the right way. You will also see Sabres logos on the shoulders, just like they did in the good ol' days. I do like the little numbers on the front, though, so they're staying. C&C appreciated, as always.

Archived