Bigred's Hockey Concepts (Indpls Racers added)

BigRed618

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANAHEIM DUCKS

ana_Ducks.png

Basically I took their old '90s look and brought it to the 21st century. Their D-Foot becomes their secondary, and the grey is replaced with gold.

EDMONTON OILERS

edm_Oilers.png

Nothing much changes with the regular jerseys, but I came up with something fun for a third jersey. Heavily inspired by the '70s, this jersey is mostly orange, features a strangely-colored Oilers logo used in the WHA days, and utilises a rarely-seen "EDMONTON" wordmark. C&C, please and thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

ARIZONA COYOTES

arz_Yotes.png

I finish off the Western Conference with Arizona. As you know, the Yotes were one of the first teams to jump on the neo-traditionalist trend with their simple brick red and white jerseys. The look has grown on me, but I felt they could've made better use of their colors and still look classy. With my concept, each jersey uses only one secondary color. The home has sand, but no black. The road has black, but no sand. I also put together a new logo for them.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

ny_Isles.png

With those four stripes on their shoulders and logo, the Isles really like to play up their four Stanley Cup titles. I decided to take it a step further with hooped sleeves bearing the same pattern as the stripes. This jersey cut is the same one used by the Flames for the 2011 Heritage Classic, but I was really going for a look resembling the old New York Americans, who were once crosstown rivals with the Rangers long before the Islanders existed. C&C greatly appreciated.

SAN JOSE SHARKS Take 2

sj_Sharks2.png

I went back to their current logo, and used their NorCal logo as the sleeve patch. I went with a jersey cut that more closely resembled the jerseys they wore from 1998 to 2007. Those were my favorites.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

nj_Devils.png

The home jersey features a recolored version of their logo, and of course, no Devils concept is complete without some homage to the '80s. I decided against using green, though. As much as I hate to admit it, some things from the past are better off left there. C&C, please and thank you.

As I'm looking at San Jose's new set, I don't mind them as much as I thought. I started following them in the 2000-01 range, so it's a bit of nostalgia for me. That said, I don't know how I feel about the orange arch on the home set. I don't mind the orange as an accent, but the arch seems more like something better for the Blues.

The other thing I'd aim for if I was a designer would be to have the entire last names be solely in the white when it comes to the away set. If it was going to overlap into the teal when it's pressed on, it looks more disjointed and unappealing.

If you had a mock-up on an athlete, I'd like to see it since I'm intrigued by this set. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

As I'm looking at San Jose's new set, I don't mind them as much as I thought. I started following them in the 2000-01 range, so it's a bit of nostalgia for me. That said, I don't know how I feel about the orange arch on the home set. I don't mind the orange as an accent, but the arch seems more like something better for the Blues.

The other thing I'd aim for if I was a designer would be to have the entire last names be solely in the white when it comes to the away set. If it was going to overlap into the teal when it's pressed on, it looks more disjointed and unappealing.

If you had a mock-up on an athlete, I'd like to see it since I'm intrigued by this set. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I can't make the mockup/model you wanted because of circumstances.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

wsh_Caps.png

Here's an outside-the-box idea I had for a while, inspired by the Bars 'n' Mullets of DC's flag. A lot of people aren't too fond of the Caps' wordmark logo, but using the Weagle would've been too obvious. I just wanted to try something different.

With Washington out of the way, I've finished all 30 teams in the league proper, but the project is not quite over yet. I'm planning on making All-Star jerseys next, and then I'll do the rest of the teams on the EXTRA list.

NHL ALL-STARS

nhl_Allstars.png

The All-Star jerseys really cut loose, design-wise, so I took the chance to really get creative. I made up a new jersey cut just for this concept, which includes a modernized version of the All-Star logo used between 1981 and '93, and different color schemes for each side. My idea is for the jerseys to have different color matchups each year. Here we have Blue vs. Yellow, next year it could be Purple vs. Green, etc. C&C, please and thank you.

QUEBEC NORDIQUES

que_Nords.png

Now the real fun begins as I start on my "Extra" Conference. The Nordiques are one of the most famous teams that no longer exist, but there are rumors abound that they may return in the near future. Here's my idea of how the Northmen of the 21st Century would look. I tried to make a modernized version of their old igloo logo. Most Nords concepts I've seen tried to reinvent the franchise, using elements like compass roses, ships, owls, etc., but I really love their real one, and I can't imagine them using anything else. The third jersey is throwback-inspired, but isn't based on any of their old jerseys in particular. Just a little something for those who miss the red. C&C greatly appreciated. Let me hear your thoughts.

HALIFAX HIGHLANDERS

hal_Scots.png

Heavily inspired by Sparky Chewbarky's Halifax, NS concept of the same name. Don't worry, I've already received his blessing on the matter. Turns out this name is already a big part of the city's culture. You have the world-renowned Halifax Highlanders Pipe and Drum Band, and the hockey movie "Goon" centred around a fictional team also called the "Halifax Highlanders." So if you think about it, this would be the perfect name to use if the NHL ever went to Nova Scotia.

The name may not be mine, but the logos at least are. I also tried to make a tartan pattern for the jersey stripes. Not sure if I like what I came up with. The third swaps the shoulder patch with the primary and takes on the heraldic colors of Scotland. Let me know what you think.

Right now the thistle above the h's looks a lot like like a pineapple. I don't know the best way of changing that, though, because it does also look like a thistle. The thing that I can't figure out is the humps above the h's and below the thistle. What's going on there? Are they hills? Is it a two-stemmed thistle?

award%20sig.png

Right now the thistle above the h's looks a lot like like a pineapple. I don't know the best way of changing that, though, because it does also look like a thistle. The thing that I can't figure out is the humps above the h's and below the thistle. What's going on there? Are they hills? Is it a two-stemmed thistle?

They're leaves, which go with the blossom.

HARTFORD WHALERS

hrt_Whalers.png

Here's my idea of what the Whalers would look like if they survived the '90s. My concept is a nod to their history, with the NHL as well as the WHA. I was on the fence at first about including Pucky the Whale on the shoulders. He doesn't gel too well with the rest of the look, but I know he has at least some fans, and it's my belief that every hockey team needs a nice secondary logo to go on the shoulders. Let me know what you think.

I like what you did with the Highlanders, BigRed.

My only complaint is that the plaid striping doesn't really come across as plaid.

You might need a different pattern.

That Whalers away sweater is a thing of beauty.

If anything, I'd lose the blue line around the logo, and make it a tad bigger.

The striping on the Whalers away concept really matches the logo. Nicely done.

The Sabres and Sharks look great!

Keep 'em coming.

Archived