PDC Coalition Cup FINAL

Windell918

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we have a day 3 sweep! I'll let you do the math. I want to put together a formal championship presentation so it may be a few days before I announce the winner. But in forty minutes the PDC is closed and it seems like the cup will find its way to higher land. Thanks everyone for everything. Both constructive and not so constructive criticisms. Ideas. Patience. Votes. A great journey.

The recent hashtaging is flattering. I would LOVE that. But let's be real I'm not the designer of the year or most improved. There are far better. So if anything push for my work not me. PDC for Creamers? Not saying it myself but I think the series is more special than the designer. Thanks chaps!

Guest darkpiranha

Your modesty is charming, but this series personifies everything this concept board stands for. You started off two years ago with an ambitious idea and a modicum of raw talent. We've seen that a thousand times with a vast majority of them petering out a month or two in at best. But you kept going. More importantly, you eagerly accepted comments and criticism and when appropriate, you incorporated that feedback and your concepts always became stronger. Over the course of the two years, it was fascinating to watch your growth as a designer, as you tackled all manner of logo styles and subjects. Some abstract, some 'lifelike" and everything in between. But the confidence and quality of the more recent ones compared to the early ones is thrilling to see. This series is the standard that all series on this board should strive for.

Not only are the series and you a shoo-in for Creamers, I think you should be forced to break down your process over these past two years and share whatever aspects of it that might be replicated. Do you have a set amount of time per day you work on these? Is it the same time every day? Or is it just whenever you can find the time? How MUCH time do you take each design session? How much time do you think one should allot to really be able to make a design something worth posting? How much time do you spend watching tutorials, or are you at a point in your mastery of Illustrator that you don't need to learn anything new? Do you sketch logo ideas by hand first, or is it all in Illustrator or Photoshop from the get-go? When you hit the wall we all hit, how did you push through? Over the course of two years, I'm sure you hit at least a dozen or more walls. How did you continue to push through? How important is continued feedback to keeping you going? Are there certain kinds of feedback that are more or less helpful? What sort of attitude do YOU have to bring to the C&C in order to not feel either discouraged or full of yourself? How did that evolve over the two years?

Etc.

This is how you do it. It should be required reading for anyone wanting to make post anything here on these boards.

Your modesty is charming, but this series personifies everything this concept board stands for. You started off two years ago with an ambitious idea and a modicum of raw talent. We've seen that a thousand times with a vast majority of them petering out a month or two in at best. But you kept going. More importantly, you eagerly accepted comments and criticism and when appropriate, you incorporated that feedback and your concepts always became stronger. Over the course of the two years, it was fascinating to watch your growth as a designer, as you tackled all manner of logo styles and subjects. Some abstract, some 'lifelike" and everything in between. But the confidence and quality of the more recent ones compared to the early ones is thrilling to see. This series is the standard that all series on this board should strive for.

Not only are the series and you a shoo-in for Creamers, I think you should be forced to break down your process over these past two years and share whatever aspects of it that might be replicated. Do you have a set amount of time per day you work on these? Is it the same time every day? Or is it just whenever you can find the time? How MUCH time do you take each design session? How much time do you think one should allot to really be able to make a design something worth posting? How much time do you spend watching tutorials, or are you at a point in your mastery of Illustrator that you don't need to learn anything new? Do you sketch logo ideas by hand first, or is it all in Illustrator or Photoshop from the get-go? When you hit the wall we all hit, how did you push through? Over the course of two years, I'm sure you hit at least a dozen or more walls. How did you continue to push through? How important is continued feedback to keeping you going? Are there certain kinds of feedback that are more or less helpful? What sort of attitude do YOU have to bring to the C&C in order to not feel either discouraged or full of yourself? How did that evolve over the two years?

Etc.

This is how you do it. It should be required reading for anyone wanting to make post anything here on these boards.

Re :censored:ing tweet

Etc.

Oh Fishy.

Im not going to argue with your opinion on the first part. Thank you for what you said.

As to the second half Im going to try to answer those question for you:

Do you have a set amount of time per day you work on these?

Over the two years I would say this fluctuated more than anything. Ive alluded to my routine for other life before (baby school work). Its not the heaviest plate in the world but it is heavy sometimes. This hobby is my escape from the real world stressors. So if its summer break i may spend a whole day knocking out two whole teams+. Last few week of a semester i may be lucky to write down an idea.

Is it the same time every day?

Time of day, no. Circumstances, yes. Try to make sure its not a way of avoiding other responsibilities. So ya its...

Or is it just whenever you can find the time?

just when ever i can find the time. That said while i cant design physically Ive been in a class or driving and done plenty planing. I remember using the voice to text feature on my phone to organize the first 32 cities during a drive home from work.

How MUCH time do you take each design session?

Each is different. I did the Inukshuks logos in 10 mins and five minutes of that was learning the spelling. Try not to beat your head up against a wall that not gonna move. Take time away, maybe work on a different design and a new approach may come to you later.

How much time do you think one should allot to really be able to make a design something worth posting?

depends on skill set. certain things I learned along the way would have made early designs quicker to make. Some times I posted things i wasn't sure I was proud of yet. As annoying as it can be for some people to have to look at low quality work in their eyes: I say post it anyway. The designer may actually only be 10 or not have a ton of experience but they want to be better and looking for a friend to critique it. Fake it till you make it kinda. Post the best you can do and learn how to better your skills through that C&C

How much time do you spend watching tutorials, or are you at a point in your mastery of Illustrator that you don't need to learn anything new?

I love tutorials. I won't watch one on the pen tool because I do feel i have a decent grip on that but anything to make my life easier I am all about! No where near an Illustrator expert but I would like to be.

Do you sketch logo ideas by hand first, or is it all in Illustrator or Photoshop from the get-go?

​I don't advocate this to others and this might surprise a few. I cant draw. I hate pencils and pens don't have a Control-z. I jump right in. Ill use reference pics, sketch it out with the paint brush, then grab may pen and start working the angles and curves. And I love me a pathfinder.

When you hit the wall we all hit, how did you push through?

One of two things. Ill try working on something different and come back to it later with a new idea. Or Ill find inspiration. Its everywhere and even if you don't see it some one will show you. Google "sports logos" ten minutes later you'll have 50 team names you've never heard of and color schemes you didn't expect physics to allow. Or ask people on here for ideas. "hey i have a team in Guadalajara and I cant think of a name...ideas?" so and so will say the inch worms which will make you think snakes, which will get you to salamanders. Its kinda fun that process.

Over the course of two years, I'm sure you hit at least a dozen or more walls. How did you continue to push through?

My walls were in school...big walls. Sometimes I would say designing was what got me through them. Im lucky to have two passions. Design being a second passion its wonderful to have something i don't do for a living with no deadlines or due dates that I can lean on. to clear my mind of the real world. Just remember your reasons for doing what your doing and you'll enjoy it more.

How important is continued feedback to keeping you going?

Go siphon the gas out of your car and see how far you get. If people hadn't brought in on day one, the nightriders and noise may have been the only PDC teams. There was a stretch along the way where the only feed back I was getting was "awesome", "looks nice", "it can be better", appreciated of course but I doesn't stimulate thinking. Thats what keeps my gears moving.

Are there certain kinds of feedback that are more or less helpful?

The best feedback IMO is the courteous bad feedback. The more imperfect your work is made to seem the more you will strive to improve it. Of course you cant be too proud, you have to know that your work can look better. Some times this is hard because you may not be as motivated to work on what you thought you had finished as you are to start something new. The least helpful is what is too prevalent around here sometimes: "that looks terrible" makes the designer feel bad, offers no ideas for bettering, and makes the commenter sound like an idiot

What sort of attitude do YOU have to bring to the C&C in order to not feel either discouraged or full of yourself?

So someone puts your work down. Go look at someone else's work: work that's worse than yours due to experience, effort, what ever. You'll find those same put downs there. Then go look at a really good designers work, Jaha, Conrad, Sparky, theres plenty of options here. See what they did better and if you can apply those principles to yours. If you don't wanna be full of your self look at those other designers too. Until you have that kinda work(which I dont) keep you head small. Theres always some one worse than you and someone better.

How did that evolve over the two years?

Whats really hard is your intention is not always what is perceived. Ive had a person tell my that i was full of myself because I thought I needed to make something to this extent. That I needed to take time away from the boards so other designers could have one of the 20 spots on the first page. I found that really interesting because I RARLEY (seriously look through the thread) bump my thread. If wanna bump my work Ill do it will new work. I try very hard to be humble and sometimes thats viewed as cocky. I don't really understand that. I think confidence is how it really evolved. If i have 1 person tell me a design is crap and 20 tell me its good, I'm not cocky because I value the opinion of 20 over 1, but that 1 may think so. Just believe in your work, be willing to change it(be willing to throw it all away) and listen to the majority and/or superior designers with out fear you may upset others. Cant please everyone.

If you don't enjoy this kinda thing a ton don't make 128 teams in two years. Just know your limits and know your skills and dig in to what every moves you.

• 8 months later...
33 minutes ago, Mercy_King said:

YES!!! The PDC will be back! Just have to wait...

So, you joined a week ago, but you said you can't wait for a topic to be reborn that was last posted in 9 months ago before the rebump by Windell. What?!?!?!?!?!?

11 minutes ago, ECUFan25 said:

So, you joined a week ago, but you said you can't wait for a topic to be reborn that was last posted in 9 months ago before the rebump by Windell. What?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone can view the concept section......

SIG.png

Just nowarrow-10x10.png, LA_Angels said:

Anyone can viewarrow-10x10.png the concept section......

Yeah, I just remember, I basically found the boards and hopped on, so I don't really know what it's like to be a lurker.

Also, POST 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:boogie:

27 minutes ago, ECUFan25 said:

Yeah, I just remember, I basically found the boards and hopped on, so I don't really know what it's like to be a lurker.

Also, POST 600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:boogie:

Congrats on 600!!! 

600 divided by 200 is an important number. See my profile to find out why.....

Archived