College Sports Concepts

hjones13

So I've been mulling over this idea of giving a university a single identity to where no matter what sport, you can immediately recognize them as that school. What I'm trying to say is a uniform visual identity for all sports (striping style, colors, word marks). So I gave it a shot using Football, Baseball and Basketball. I know some of them may not translate well across sports and their various templates, but hey, thats why they call it a concept! Here goes:

The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss)

Football

OleMissNavyTemplatewithGreyFacemask_zps1OleMissRedTemplatewithGreyFacemask_zpsa4OleMissWhiteTemplatewithBlueHoopsandGreyOleMissWhiteTemplatewithRedHoopsandGreyFOleMissGreyTemplatewithGreyFacemask_zps3

• For the home uniforms (Navy and Red) it will be the classic shoulder hoops that Ole Miss has always had. (This will be the design that is used throughout the other sports as well.) They have "Rebels" in script across the chest because obviously they wear home uniforms at home so everyone can figure out where the team is from without reading the jersey.
  • The away uniforms will also feature a Navy and Red option, just like Ole Miss' in real life, but instead of saying "Ole Miss" they say "Mississippi" letting those on the road know that they are representing the state of Mississippi and its Flagship University.
  • There will be an alternate "University Grey" jersey that is to be worn at homecoming or whenever deemed necessary. This jersey features the "Ole Miss" script.
  • There is only one set of pants to wear for every set, the traditional grey pants. A program in the SEC with the history that the University of Mississippi has needs traditional uniforms that are just that and provide uniformity. See Alabama, Auburn, LSU for real life examples.
  • Grey facemask on the helmet to tie in the grey pants, and I just like grey facemasks here because it provides a sort of throwback traditional look.

Baseball

NavyTopwithNavyHat_zpsa482d67b.pngRedTop_zpsed148ef6.pngWhiteTopwithNavy_zps7b9d93dd.pngWhiteTopwithRed_zps16d4a2c9.pngTheGreys_zps1cad92d9.png

• Same concept for the Baseball uniforms as the football uniforms. Same scripts, and coloration.
  • The shoulder hoops from the football uniforms translate into sleeve piping and pants piping on the baseball uniforms.
  • Colored jerseys default pants match is the grey that has the same striping/piping as the football pants, but in baseball there is always the white option. I didn't know how a white jersey could be paired with grey pants either, but its there with white as an alternate.
  • Grey jersey has the option for the traditional two color piping, or pants to match the shoulder hoop stripes from the football jersey that are also found on the sleeve piping of the baseball jersey.

jajtww.jpg

Basketball

NavyTop_zpscad21439.pngRedTop_zpsce1f6646.pngWhiteTopwithNavyStripes_zpsbb91eadf.pngWhiteTopwithRedStripes_zpsce038f0f.pngGreyTop_zpsb63c0ea4.png

• Again, same concepts here, even though grey shorts may look odd because traditionally the jersey and shorts are the same color, but I kinda like it.
  • Shoulder hoops translate into side piping, pants stripes are still pants stripes.

C&C welcome! Working on Alabama next!

jajtww.jpg

Even though I'm not into basketball uni designs...I know that gray pants with red and blue jerseys does not look good at all. Would have to switch that up.

And like you said...that's why they call it a concept...to some degree I'd agree, but I think that just does not look good at all.

You've got some great ideas! I like how each sport ties in together but I do have to agree with the other posters, the gray pants probably would not like good in basketball with the blue & red tops although Nike has done that with some of their newer elite uniforms. My favorite part of the concept is probably the 'Rebels' script, that looks really nice.

I will also say the gray pants for the white jerseys shouldn't be an option in baseball. Everything matches well enough that you don't have to force the gray pants with the white jerseys in baseball, that just wouldn't look good either IMO. Also, I'd just stick with the two striped gray pants for baseball, I think two different gray pants is unnecessary, one idea you could use for the gray top in baseball is a vest? That way the three layered striping would mimic the football's gray uniforms a little bit more, I think you could get away with gray sleeves under a gray vest too, it would probably look similar to the Rockies vest option.

Can't wait to see Bama!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I'm liking the premise behind this. As others have said, basketball needs work. I think it's an NCAA rule that shirt and shorts need to match (I know some teams have gone against that lately, but some [Ohio State last year] have had to change plans). Also I've never been a big fan of scripts on basketball tops, especially something has long as Mississippi and bulky as the Rebels is. Those work great on baseball jerseys for a reason.

Interested to see what you come up with. Especially with my Auburn Tigers.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Baseball

CrimsonTop_zps5460b253.pngCrimsonTopcopy_zpse0577bca.pngWhiteTop_zps65107b15.pngWhiteTopwithWhiteHat_zps789cd1ed.pngGreyTop_zpsff8b204d.pngGreyTopwithWhiteHat_zps13245747.png

• Alabama is very traditional and its pretty obvious the football uniform didn't change much because it shouldn't. I just added numbers to the sleeves. The other uniforms are based off of the football uniforms because I feel like it is the University's most recognized look.
  • The script on the baseball and basketball uniforms is the same script found in the endzone of the football field.
  • Pants stripe from football uniform is found on the white pants for baseball as piping. Crimson helmet/white decal translates to crimson hat/white decal, and white helmet/crimson decal translates to white hat/crimson decal.

jajtww.jpg

Basketball

CrimsonTopCrimsonPants_zps9e50864f.pngWhiteTop_zpsb83cceda.png

• Didn't do the crimson on white because we have established it wont work in basketball, so there is an all crimson and and all white set.
  • The crimson set features the helmet stripe from the football uniform down the side of the jersey and shorts.
  • The white set has the helmet stripe from the white helmet on the side of the jersey, while the pants have the double striping from the football pants.

jajtww.jpg

Next up, the Bayou Bengals:

Louisiana State University (LSU)

Football

WhiteTopwithGoldPantsandGoldHelmet_zps50PurpleTopwithGoldPantsandGoldHelmet_zps9GoldTopwithGoldPantsandGoldHelmet_zpsb5c

• LSU is another one of those teams that has an iconic look in football, and I feel like when most people think LSU, this is the look they think. It doesn't need to be changed very much, if at all. So it's the look throughout the other uniforms.
  • I used the updated Tiger head, because even though its ugly, its a good ugly because thats LSU. And its better than the old one, IMO. I also put it on the collar.
  • Added a gold jersey because I like it too.

jajtww.jpg

Baseball

WhiteTopwithPurpleHatcopy_zps1c823992.pnPurpleTopwithPurpleHatcopy_zpsce7e0bee.pGoldTopwithPurpleHatcopy_zps804c53ae.png

• Same look as football, shoulder hoops translate to sleeve piping and pants piping on the white pants.
  • I didn't like how a gold hat looked, so I settled on just one purple hat with the Tiger head from the football helmets as the primary logo.
  • "LSU" plain, bold and simple across the chest on all of the jerseys.

jajtww.jpg

Basketball

WhiteTopWhiteShortscopy_zpsffa7c3b1.pngPurpleTopPurpleShortscopy_zps9e7d0339.pnGoldTopGoldShortscopy_zps99556ca9.png

I like the way you're conducting this thread, but I don't like how the basketball jerseys have a lot of space under the numbers.

In my mind, the extra space under the numbers in the basketball jerseys is the part of the jersey that will be tucked into the shorts, unseen.

jajtww.jpg

Archived