DC's Justice League Football uniforms (1960's version!)

oldschoolvikings

OK, we've had a few threads on this board whee members have done superhero sports uniforms. I've always been envious that I didn't think of it first. Being a huge comic geek from way back, I've wanted to do a version of my own, but it always seemed sort of pointless. It's been done, right?

Then this idea occurred to me... I like old football uniforms... I like old comic books... why not. So I decided to focus (for now) on the 60's era Justice League characters, and design uniforms that might have been worn at the same time. For reference, here's the look...

sekowsky_jla.gif

... and here we go...

First up, the two obvious members. I used color pickers for the colors and was surprised at how light/loud the colors were.

batman_zpsecdc3ce3.png

superman_zps0e8464a2.png

What a cool idea. I think Batman looks fine. I'd try throwing in some more yellow on the away for superman though.

I did try but it didn't really work for me. The problem is, you can find very few examples of teams from the 60's with more than a two color scheme. That made it hard to shoe horn the third color in, without losing the 60's vibe.

Here's a few more...

greenlantern_zps698f8ff1.png

greenarrow_zpsb32a2067.png

All are terrific, love the idea. Like how you did retro unis for retro comics. Batman is great, the blue grey is used very well, and I like the grey helmet. use more yellow on the superman, change nothing on GL, more blue on the wonder woman helmet, more green on the aquaman helmet, more orange on the uni. I like your green arrow logo, but maybe try a bow alternate logo.

I really do like these. I think the Aqauman jerseys need at least some yellow

The Aquaman jersey is pretty much the Cleveland Browns, with green swapped out for the brown. Again, I realize, from a strict "good design" standpoint, the missing colors are kind of jarring, but I'm trying really hard to work in the confines of what football uniforms looked like in the 60's. Finding places for a 3rd color on a traditional template is tough.

I wonder if the Aquaman primary color needs to be orange instead of green (i.e. orange jersey, green helmet)... Might be a really cool look especially because you already have a few other green jerseys in this concept.

Hmmm... I kinda like that idea for Aquaman... go with a 70's Broncos' rip instead of the Browns. I'll have to give that a try.

Meanwhile, here's a few more...

hawkman_zps81d18c32.png

(And thisflash_zps23447b8a.png one may be a bit too obvious...)

I would have red pants for Flash.

Once again, its the 1960's. Nobody did monochrome in the 60's.

The Vikings did for half a game, was that the 60s? ;)

Good work, I'm really enjoying all of these, I don't know how well that flash number font fits the time period, though.

spacer.png

I would have red pants for Flash.

Once again, its the 1960's. Nobody did monochrome in the 60's.

The Vikings did for half a game, was that the 60s? ;)

Good work, I'm really enjoying all of these, I don't know how well that flash number font fits the time period, though.

I think you're right. I may have to change that.

OK, here's where it goes off the rails...

martianman_zpsfd3d3818.png

M! A! R! S! Mars, Mars, Mars!!

Here's a couple of quick updates based on feedback...

The Superman uniform with more yellow added;

superman_zps7607ae7c.png

And the Wonder Woman uniform with stripes added to the helmet to get some blue on the helmet. (I don't know how obvious it is why I used the plain red star on the helmet. WW's tiara is gold with a single red star.)

wonderwoman_zpscdcfc7f5.png

Archived