San Jose Sharks Rebrand | UPDATE | Jan. 24

Go Red Sox!

As a Sharks fan, this is probably one of the very best concepts I've seen. While I'm still partial to the teal/black/silver color scheme the colors for your concept are still cool. I'd go with the Aqua/lighter teal as the primary, as the Deep Sea Teal I'm not sure would translate well on HD TV's, plus I'm not a big fan of teams steering away from teal. Using the deep sea teal would be too close to navy blue to me.

Critique: Also with the Deep Sea Teal and Aqua almost are too similar. I wonder about using the gray for the top of the Shark and the deep sea teal for the bottom of the shark. The gray seems more of a bluish-greenish gray, not sure if that's my computer or the color you intended, but that what shows up, and looks a little too close to the King's "aluminum". Also, I think the fin secondary logo works better in the roundel/circle.

Your logos are very clean, the color scheme still looks really good, just personal preference of the current/years past scheme.

Summary: I'd say make the colors black and aqua/light teal in your logo set, change the find to the former roundel, and boom, the Sharks have a new logo set!

I would also love to use these logos to create some cool wallpaper for myself (and others if they want) and you're okay with it.

Nice job overall, very cool.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good job on this, GoRedSox! Personally I find sharks to be one of the more difficult animals to draw, so you are off to a great start.

Have you considered adding a few white areas to make this thing look slicker and pop against the blue triangle?

I agree with GoNordiques to split up that bottom teal, somewhere under it's side fin. It should help the idea that this thing is torquing. Speaking of the side fin, as it is now, there is too much separation between the gills and side fin. Generally the gills are flush up against that fin. Consider either sliding the gills back, or the fin forward, or both.

Another thing is the way the shark interacts with that triangle. When I initially saw it, I was confused as to what was happening in the back tail. It wasn't clear that the tail fin was curved behind the triangle and I thought that the aqua area was an extremely small tail fin, until I saw the isolated shark logo. I also think it'd be nice if the dorsal fin stuck up above the triangle a little so it doesn't get lost.

Lots to like about this. A few tweaks and you'll have it!

I'd enlarge the shark ever-so-slightly and make the dorsal fin reach above the triangle because it's awkward that she shark sticks out on all other sides, and it causes the dorsal fin to lose a bit of distinction where the rest seems to adopt part of the overall outline, but the dorsal fin almost seems to get cut off by not reaching above the top of the triangle and incorporating the outline around itself.. if that makes sense

Thanks guys, for all your feedback. I appreciate it! Also sorry for not being able to reply to your comments earlier. I was a little busy yesterday and then my router died.

I have read through all your comments and I will reply to them as quick as I can. Right now, I'm a little busy because of New Year's Eve party preparations, so expect me to be back here tomorrow. There are some pretty good suggestions from you that I definitely will put into practice after replying to your comments.

I wish everybody here a Happy New Year 2015! Take care!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Overall strong work - a few things...

1. I don't think the primary would look good reproduced for small TV graphics, b&w print, or any other reduced-size application. There's just not enough contrast there. One possibility would be to make the fill of the triangle white or silver, and the outline of it either a new color or teal, since there wouln't be any teal touching.

2. The jagged navy thing on the bottom right of the triangle looks very odd. It doesn't look like part of the shark - it looks like an error. I get that it's the very back fin, but it doesn't look that way the way part is hidden by the triangle.

3. The shark could be enlarged to fill more of the triangle, especially the top. They've always had a significant overlap, and I don't know that the entire triangle really needs to be visible. One solution to the fin problem in #2 is to cut that part off all together and have it swiming through the triangle - that would keep it somewhat consistent with their logo history.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for not answering as promised on January 1st. Been sick for quite some time, even had to "celebrate" New Year's Eve in the hospital.

Still not 100% okay, but much better. I will update my San Jose Sharks logos in the next few days including comments what I edited and why.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

i really like this RedSox, but the primary can be massaged a little bit to make it even better.

tail - when the shark is with the triangle, the bottom part of the tail creates a really weird shape. i didnt know exactly what you were going for until i saw the shark separated. if you make the tail connect with the line in the triangle and remove that little bit of gray space, i think it will help.

dorsal fin - really bad tangent here. i think it will have a better look if the fin breaks the top of the triangle.

gills - i think you should slide these back just a bit. it makes the sharks head look smaller than it should right now.

key line - thicken all the gray keylines. because they're so thin, it makes the logos look cheap.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Here now are the edited San Jose Sharks logos.

GENERAL

– Sea teal darkened, aqua brightened in order to gain more contrast

PRIMARY LOGO

– Gray outline thickened

– Shark now swimming out of the triangle

– Shark enlarged

– Separated aqua shading

– First dorsal fin edited, less streamlined/curved

– Dorsal fin protruding beyond triangle

– Changed position of second dorsal fin

– Pectoral fins now flatter, more realistic, closer to gills

– Gills separated, closer to pectoral fins

– Eye slightly downscaled

DORSAL FIN LOGO

– Gray outline thickened

ROUNDEL LOGO

– Gray outline thickened

– Removed notches ("SJ")

I tried to incorporate the dorsal fin into the roundel logo as some of you have suggested. But it never really looked good, but rather forced – mainly because of the color scheme. Despite that, I'm happy with the roundel logo. It's not very spectacular, but

clean and the colors go very well together. That's also a reason why I didn't switch back to black instead of dark, blueish teal, like some of you have suggested. Word marks were also improved.

Thanks to everybody who posted comments. I appreciate it!

Comments are of course welcome as usual.

SanJoseSharkslogopresentation_zpscc39b94

Sharksprimarylogo_zps10e721d4.png

Sharksalternatedorsalfinlogo_zpsbd290806

Sharksroundellogo_zps3ac2c454.png

Sharkswordmarklogos_zpscc8d8db2.png

i really like this RedSox, but the primary can be massaged a little bit to make it even better.

tail - when the shark is with the triangle, the bottom part of the tail creates a really weird shape. i didnt know exactly what you were going for until i saw the shark separated. if you make the tail connect with the line in the triangle and remove that little bit of gray space, i think it will help.

dorsal fin - really bad tangent here. i think it will have a better look if the fin breaks the top of the triangle.

gills - i think you should slide these back just a bit. it makes the sharks head look smaller than it should right now.

key line - thicken all the gray keylines. because they're so thin, it makes the logos look cheap.

Thanks for your input, Brandon. Helped me a lot. Love your work.

Very good job on this, GoRedSox! Personally I find sharks to be one of the more difficult animals to draw, so you are off to a great start.

Have you considered adding a few white areas to make this thing look slicker and pop against the blue triangle?

I agree with GoNordiques to split up that bottom teal, somewhere under it's side fin. It should help the idea that this thing is torquing. Speaking of the side fin, as it is now, there is too much separation between the gills and side fin. Generally the gills are flush up against that fin. Consider either sliding the gills back, or the fin forward, or both.

Another thing is the way the shark interacts with that triangle. When I initially saw it, I was confused as to what was happening in the back tail. It wasn't clear that the tail fin was curved behind the triangle and I thought that the aqua area was an extremely small tail fin, until I saw the isolated shark logo. I also think it'd be nice if the dorsal fin stuck up above the triangle a little so it doesn't get lost.

Lots to like about this. A few tweaks and you'll have it!

Thanks Jaha! I've tried to add some shading, white shading, to the shark. But it always ended up looking forced. Very likely because white is so, if not in this case, too dominating in contrast to that dark blueish teal. So I darkened aqua again, but it didn't get any better. Well, I guess that's very likely my last shark for the next couple of months...

Archived