San Jose Sharks Rebrand | UPDATE | Jan. 24

Go Red Sox!

I have to be honest that I actually think the updates are a bit of a downgrade. That probably isn't what you wanted to hear after putting time and extra effort to update this, but if you are still open to suggestions, the main issue in the update in my opinion is still the way the shark and triangle interact. First, the shark's dark body gets lost on the dark triangle, and a teal triangle would solve that. Another thing, in your initial draft, although the dorsal fin didn't stick out of the triangle and the tail fin got lost, the core of the sharks body (head, gills, dorsal and pectoral fins) occupied the center of the logo. I liked that. Now the shark seems to be slid to occupy the top left and the triangle fills the bottom right and they don't seem to belong together anymore. I think if you had just shrunk the triangle in the first draft, it would have been a better solution to fix that back tail issue. Having the tail fin disappear or partially disappear wasn't a bad idea necessarily, it was just the way the tail fin disappeared that was confusing. That's a lot of feedback, but I think this has a lot of potential still. I like your presentation too.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest that I actually think the updates are a bit of a downgrade. That probably isn't what you wanted to hear after putting time and extra effort to update this, but if you are still open to suggestions, the main issue in the update in my opinion is still the way the shark and triangle interact. First, the shark's dark body gets lost on the dark triangle, and a teal triangle would solve that. Another thing, in your initial draft, although the dorsal fin didn't stick out of the triangle and the tail fin got lost, the core of the sharks body (head, gills, dorsal and pectoral fins) occupied the center of the logo. I liked that. Now the shark seems to be slid to occupy the top left and the triangle fills the bottom right and they don't seem to belong together anymore. I think if you had just shrunk the triangle in the first draft, it would have been a better solution to fix that back tail issue. Having the tail fin disappear or partially disappear wasn't a bad idea necessarily, it was just the way the tail fin disappeared that was confusing. That's a lot of feedback, but I think this has a lot of potential still. I like your presentation too.

Totally agree with this. Seems off centered. On a jersey the triangle point should be the center of the logo (or atleast close; see Pittsburgh Penguins). Now the whole balance seems off. ^^I'll second what he said about downsizing the previous triangle, maybe that could fix matters. It's so close to being a very fantastic logo just needs a few more touches.

Thanks for your comment, Jack!

I always appreciate critical and constructive comments, especially from vastly skilled pros, people like you, Brandon Moore or sparkychewbarky. So, yes , I am still very open to suggestions. Also because I wasn't really happy with the result myself. Actually I wanted to keep the shark swimming around the triangle instead of swimming out of it. Then I thought it'd be visually less "complicated" to let the guy leave the triangle, almost like in the original version. I will now try to find a way to make the shark more visible in front of the triangle, e.g. changing the color from dark teal to aqua. I like your suggestions a lot, so let's get back to work!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Totally agree with this. Seems off centered. On a jersey the triangle point should be the center of the logo (or atleast close; see Pittsburgh Penguins). Now the whole balance seems off. ^^I'll second what he said about downsizing the previous triangle, maybe that could fix matters. It's so close to being a very fantastic logo just needs a few more touches.

So true. That imbalance would look terrible on a uniform, especially at a distance.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

First of all...this is some real nice, clean, well-executed work.

IMO it's an upgrade to what they have now.

Right now, the roundel and "fin" logos are just about perfect.

On the word-mark, I feel that the first "S" is crowding the "H" just a tad.

I would try elongating the top horizontal section of the "S", a wee bit to give it some air between the vertical parts of the "S" and "H".

I'm liking the shark logo a lot.

The front 2/3's of the shark is fantastic. I wouldn't change that at all.

The tail seems a little disjointed. It's a tough spot because you're changing direction and perspective.

I'm not sure if you really need the grey "SJ" in there. Give it a shot without those letters.

If you took them out, you'd have more room to work with the tail.

You could bring it up a notch, and have some dark space between it and the white part of the triangle.

I'm being nit-picky because this is a real nice set.

Good work.

Will there be unis?

First of all...this is some real nice, clean, well-executed work.

IMO it's an upgrade to what they have now.

Right now, the roundel and "fin" logos are just about perfect.

On the word-mark, I feel that the first "S" is crowding the "H" just a tad.

I would try elongating the top horizontal section of the "S", a wee bit to give it some air between the vertical parts of the "S" and "H".

I'm liking the shark logo a lot.

The front 2/3's of the shark is fantastic. I wouldn't change that at all.

The tail seems a little disjointed. It's a tough spot because you're changing direction and perspective.

I'm not sure if you really need the grey "SJ" in there. Give it a shot without those letters.

If you took them out, you'd have more room to work with the tail.

You could bring it up a notch, and have some dark space between it and the white part of the triangle.

I'm being nit-picky because this is a real nice set.

Good work.

Will there be unis?

Thanks, Sparky! Yup, the tail fin is a toughie, but I also want to keep the triangle. You're also right about the "S" and the "H". I think I'll go without the initials in the primary logo.

No, you're not nit-picky at all. It's just love for detail and trained eye!

I'm not sure about the uniforms yet. 50/50.

Hi guys, here is another update of my Sharks primary logo. This time, the shark is in a normal swimming motion, not swimming around the triangle or leaving it. I have a much better feeling about this one, because the logo looks less complicated, cleaner and now also has more contrast. I added teal as the triangle's main color, so the shark is now better visible than before, still blending in with the triangle.

This draft is one of at least two versions I will upload in the next few days, so this one is definitely not the final version, just a different approach.

I also left out the initials "SJ", simply because the size of the shark forced me to do so. Dark sea teal is now a notch darker and more greenish while aqua is a little lighter.

Comments are welcome as usual!

Sharksprimarylogo_zps4b591508.png

Version A

I like the updated colors, but I'm not so sure about the logo. I think it looks much better to have the shark interacting in some way with the triangle as in the previous versions, in this one they look slapped together without any cohesion. Maybe eliminate the tail and have the shark swimming out from behind the right side of the triangle?

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

I like the updated colors, but I'm not so sure about the logo. I think it looks much better to have the shark interacting in some way with the triangle as in the previous versions, in this one they look slapped together without any cohesion. Maybe eliminate the tail and have the shark swimming out from behind the right side of the triangle?

I've already tried that out and it doesn't look good at all – also because the logo will lose any balance with the shark protruding beyond the left part of the triangle while the right part of it remains untouched.

Hi guys, here is another update of my Sharks primary logo. This time, the shark is in a normal swimming motion, not swimming around the triangle or leaving it. I have a much better feeling about this one, because the logo looks less complicated, cleaner and now also has more contrast. I added teal as the triangle's main color, so the shark is now better visible than before, still blending in with the triangle.

This draft is one of at least two versions I will upload in the next few days, so this one is definitely not the final version, just a different approach.

I also left out the initials "SJ", simply because the size of the shark forced me to do so. Dark sea teal is now a notch darker and more greenish while aqua is a little lighter.

Comments are welcome as usual!

Sharksprimarylogo_zps4b591508.png

Amazing.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

I think you've got the logo, but I don't like the presence of 3 different blues, plus gray and white. Maybe I'm a bit traditional, but have you tried the center of the triangle (instead of that in between teal) in one of the other colors? Or if you want 3 primary colors, try going for a non-cool color somewhere.

It doesn't look good at all when the fill color of the triangle is way brighter than the shark's main color, so aqua, white and gray won't work. That's why I chose a color lighter than sea teal, the darkest color of my palette. I will upload another draft with the triangle fill color sea teal.

Not sure about adding a totally different color, like orange for example. I intended to avoid orange by all means. Just posted another draft using sea teal as the triangle background color again.

Best logo yet. No more tweaks and uniforms please!

Which one, Morgo? The one swimming in front of the triangle or the one swimming through it?

I still think your first primary was the best. It was definitely the most balanced, even if the tail could use a little work.

I've never been a fan of the Sharks logo, i've always felt it was a big missed opportunity given the possibilities with the imagery of a Shark, but these are absolutely phenomenal and an enormous upgrade.

The only NHL logo concept i've seen on these boards that competes with this is Sparky Chewbarky's Calgary Flames redesign.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97076-re-designed-calgary-flames-flaming-c-logo-fixed

Archived