San Jose Sharks Rebrand | UPDATE | Jan. 24

Go Red Sox!

Thanks for your comments, guys!

Some like the new draft more than my original one and others would prefer my first version. I will work on an update of my first draft, putting various suggestions into practice. Then we got at least three different drafts to eventually find out which one's the best.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think your first primary was the best. It was definitely the most balanced, even if the tail could use a little work.

I've never been a fan of the Sharks logo, i've always felt it was a big missed opportunity given the possibilities with the imagery of a Shark, but these are absolutely phenomenal and an enormous upgrade.

The only NHL logo concept i've seen on these boards that competes with this is Sparky Chewbarky's Calgary Flames redesign.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97076-re-designed-calgary-flames-flaming-c-logo-fixed

I've actually never seen Sparky's Flames logo concept before. Well, what can I say? That's typically Sparky – whatever he designs, it's something to feast our eyes on. That's some top notch work again. In my view, it's perfect.

Jack Hahn, Ren69, Brandon Moore and Sparky Chewbarky are my favorite designers of this forum.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

As promised, here's my latest draft of the Sharks primary logo that includes the shark swimming around the triangle, like in my first version. The triangle has been downscaled, the white outline is now a lot thicker, adding more contrast to the shark in the foreground.

The recently added fourth color, teal, is discarded because there is no need to highlight the shark anymore.

The word mark is also edited, as SparkyChewbarky suggested. There is now enough space between the "S" and the "H".

All the logos have updated colors.

So, what's your favorite draft: A, B, C or the latest, D?

Comments are welcome as usual. Thanks!

Sharks%20primary%20logo_zpsyrkdcxv0.png

Version D

Sharks%20alternate%20dorsal%20fin%20logo

Sharks%20roundel%20logo_zpstazka0pf.png

Sharks%20wordmark%20logos_zpsppm7j050.pn

Drafts_zpsbs6g7pwj.png

I absolutely love the straight shark from A-C, I just don't think it works well with the triangle. It might just be me, but the curved shark looks a tiny bit elongated, as if the section between the pectoral fins and the tail would be slightly too long if it was straightened. I think C is my favorite, but D is very close.

Interesting side note, to me the thicker white border on D makes the aqua color look a tad bit greener than it does in the other options.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

I absolutely love the straight shark from A-C, I just don't think it works well with the triangle. It might just be me, but the curved shark looks a tiny bit elongated, as if the section between the pectoral fins and the tail would be slightly too long if it was straightened. I think C is my favorite, but D is very close.

Interesting side note, to me the thicker white border on D makes the aqua color look a tad bit greener than it does in the other options.

Draft D is using a different, more greenish aqua. I just didn't edit aqua in the other versions A-C.

It's hard to get the entire tail part done 100% realistically without being forced to show the tail fin in a rather sharp angle that might actually be too sharp, ending up distorting the look of the fin too much. Anyway, I try to find a solution for that. Maybe shortening that

tail a little might help without causing bigger issues. Thanks!

They all look good...

I'd have to say that both B and C look better than A.

The shark emerging from behind the triangle really gives the logo some depth. Nicely done.

I can eliminate A.

Initially, I preferred the curved shark, but the straight one's growing on me, especially after you placed it from within the triangle.

They all look good...

I'd have to say that both B and C look better than A.

The shark emerging from behind the triangle really gives the logo some depth. Nicely done.

I can eliminate A.

Initially, I preferred the curved shark, but the straight one's growing on me, especially after you placed it from within the triangle.

Thanks, Sparky!

I still think your first primary was the best. It was definitely the most balanced, even if the tail could use a little work.

I've never been a fan of the Sharks logo, i've always felt it was a big missed opportunity given the possibilities with the imagery of a Shark, but these are absolutely phenomenal and an enormous upgrade.

The only NHL logo concept i've seen on these boards that competes with this is Sparky Chewbarky's Calgary Flames redesign.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97076-re-designed-calgary-flames-flaming-c-logo-fixed

I've actually never seen Sparky's Flames logo concept before. Well, what can I say? That's typically Sparky – whatever he designs, it's something to feast our eyes on. That's some top notch work again. In my view, it's perfect.

Jack Hahn, Ren69, Brandon Moore and Sparky Chewbarky are my favorite designers of this forum.

Windell918 and Raysox deserve to be up there.

I like the first one. Not A or B or C or D, but actually the first attempt. The 2nd was a bit of an upgrade, but I still think that the first is the best

tinysig.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

I'd like to see what C looks like where we don't see the tail extruding. Where the triangle is just a black void that the shark is emerging from, rather than a triangle hoop it's swimming through. That's the only thing I don't like about this is that tail sticking out.

Thanks for all your comments, guys!

@darkpiranha: Here is the shark without the tail part. I guess it'd work if the shark emerging from the triangle was depicted in a different angle, like in the original Sharks logo the team's using. I just think the logo looks too unbalanced now. Something's missing, literally. And I can't move the shark farther to the right due to his right pectoral fin eventually colliding with the white border of the triangle.

Drafts_zps8jw7rcai.png

Some good work, thanks for sharing.

A,B,C, and E are less dynamic to me with the shark being straight, the top fin creates a bad tangent when the mark becomes smaller.

The flow of mark D is where I see this mark being most successful but the back area still needs some work, I'd like to see the thickness of the white triangle somewhere in between this weight and the others. I think your first mark had the nicest flow to it but just needed some tweaks as far and the top fin tangent issue. I also don't think you need the SJ inside like in that original mark.

Like I said before, I really like the shark coming out of the triangle in E. Maybe if the shark is tilted slightly down it would add a little more flow (and also another slight connection to their current logo. I see what you mean about it being unbalanced, not really sure how to fix that, but I hope there is a way to fix it because I really like that version.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Some good work, thanks for sharing.

A,B,C, and E are less dynamic to me with the shark being straight, the top fin creates a bad tangent when the mark becomes smaller.

The flow of mark D is where I see this mark being most successful but the back area still needs some work, I'd like to see the thickness of the white triangle somewhere in between this weight and the others. I think your first mark had the nicest flow to it but just needed some tweaks as far and the top fin tangent issue. I also don't think you need the SJ inside like in that original mark.

Thanks! Good eye!

I will shorten the tail part of the shark (Draft D), so that part will be more visible and less bended.

Like I said before, I really like the shark coming out of the triangle in E. Maybe if the shark is tilted slightly down it would add a little more flow (and also another slight connection to their current logo. I see what you mean about it being unbalanced, not really sure how to fix that, but I hope there is a way to fix it because I really like that version.

Well, I could only fix it by creating a different shark, but I won't start again from scratch. I will try editing Draft D, shortening the tail part. This should work.

Here now is the latest version of Draft D. The tail part of the shark is now shorter, the tail fin is adapted to the new angle. I'm happy with the result and therefore Draft D is my San Jose Sharks primary logo. The other shark (A-C) might become a secondary logo sooner or later.

Sharks%20primary%20logo_zpsm60prb4g.png

San%20Jose%20Sharks%20logo%20presentatio

Archived