• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's my favorite driver this time too. This is getting ridiculous.

Agreed it's almost like 1987 when cars was flipping over. I'm hearing Katherine legge is gonna replace the mayor on Sunday.

From the reports that were released yesterday I had no idea that Hinch was in such bad shape, but the news this morning is pretty grim. The injuries sound gruesome, and the language they use leads me to believe that there was a chance he might not have made it through the surgery? I'm sure full details will come out eventually.

"Upper thigh + excessive bleeding" from yesterday, I knew it easily was femur-related injury.

From the reports that were released yesterday I had no idea that Hinch was in such bad shape, but the news this morning is pretty grim. The injuries sound gruesome, and the language they use leads me to believe that there was a chance he might not have made it through the surgery? I'm sure full details will come out eventually.

"Upper thigh + excessive bleeding" from yesterday, I knew it easily was femur-related injury.

Since Dr Jerry Paunch is on ABC's coverage, I bet he'll explain it in English and not sanitize it, tell it how close Hinch came.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Jesus... And the safety cell failed too. Lovely. Time to reconsider the speeds they're getting to I think, and whatever changes they've made to the speedway aero that might be contributing to this. I mean as it is they've just lost one of their more personable and marketable drivers for the season, and it sounds like very nearly permanently.

I read this morning something impaled his leg & had to be removed on sight? Could've been something small, yet fact remains.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I read this morning something impaled his leg & had to be removed on sight? Could've been something small, yet fact remains.

It was one of the main suspension supports, not something small. It went through the safety cell, his right leg, into his left thigh and impacted the pelvic region. They had to cut it from the car and remove him with it still impaling him to get him into the ambulance. Blood loss was extreme as the femoral artery was cut. They nearly lost him en route to the hospital and again in surgery at the hospital. Hinch is lucky to be alive. As it is his season is over and still no word on if his career is as well.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/116939-indy-500-hinchcliffe-saved-from-serious-injuries

Can we just being back Reynard?? Those chassis was beyond strong.

You'd have to bring back Reynard first before you could bring back their chassis...

And the DW12 is likely much stronger as they're saying with the cars 20 or even 10 years ago Hinch would already be dead. Not to say there's obviously not room for improvement with this invasion into the safety cell and this year's flipping issues on the Chevys... but it's still much safer than the old cars.

An update on Mayor Hinch

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/116949-indycar-medical-update-on-james-hinchcliffe

UPDATED Wednesday, May 20: Verizon IndyCar Series driver James Hinchcliffe has been transferred out of the Intensive Care Unit at IU Health Methodist Hospital as the Canadian continues to make substantial improvement following surgery on May 18 for injuries to his pelvic area and upper left thigh. Upon further evaluation this morning, it was determined that Hinchcliffe will require no further procedures and is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries.

"We're very pleased with his progress and his condition continues to improve," said Dr. Timothy Pohlman, Senior Staff Trauma Surgeon at IU Health Methodist Hospital, who performed the surgery. "Our expectation, in consultation with the INDYCAR medical staff, is that a normal recovery is to be expected."

That's great news, here's hoping the good mayor gets some rest & has a speedy recovery, in the meantime, Ryan Briscoe will replace him for the 500

Other news: Indycar may be Boston bound!

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2015/05/indycar_race_in_seaport_gets_green_flag_for_labor_day_2016

The streets of the Seaport District in South Boston will be the venue for the Grand Prix of Boston — the Verizon IndyCar Series’ season-finale race — in 2016 and possibly subsequent years.

Organizers are set to announce the deal for the Labor Day weekend auto race tomorrow.

“The hope is that this will be an annual event in the city of Boston,” Grand Prix of Boston spokeswoman Kate Norton said.

The Verizon IndyCar Series is IndyCar’s premier open-wheel auto racing series. All races are broadcast on national TV networks.

As the Herald first reported last August, Mayor Martin J. Walsh sent a letter to IndyCar CEO Mark Miles last June, expressing interest in hosting the race as part of broader plans to attract high-profile events to Boston.

That is great news IMO

In F1 news, Lewis is going nowhere, Seb breathes a sigh of relief...

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/05/20/hamilton-and-mercedes-agree-three-year-contract-extension/

Mercedes AMG Petronas is pleased to announce that it has finalised a new contract with Lewis Hamilton for the 2016 to 2018 Formula 1 seasons inclusive.

Since making his Formula 1 debut with McLaren in 2007, Lewis has started every one of his 153 Grands Prix with Mercedes-Benz power and this track record includes 36 victories, of which 15 so far were at the wheel of a works Silver Arrow.

Lewis Hamilton commented: “Mercedes is my home and I couldn’t be happier to be staying here for another three years. This is a company filled with real passionate racers, from the board room to the factory floor, and an incredible hunger to win. Even after the success of last year, that hunger is greater than ever – and it’s the same for me, too.”

“The Mercedes car I am driving right now is the best I have ever had in my career; it’s just so much fun to be out there every weekend, on the limit and fighting to win at every track.”

According to other reports, he will make over $120 million in 3 years.... *whistles*

Audi pours some cold water on F1 chances....

http://planetf1.com/driver/55667788/50142/Audi-pours-cold-water-on-F1-rumours

Audi Chief Executive Rupert Stadler was last week quoted as telling British publication Auto Express that the company, which is owned by the Volkswagen Group, would be keeping their options open.

However, Stadler appears to have changed his tune, with the 52-year-old no longer eager to come to the aid of Red Bull or F1.

"Formula One needs to solve its problems on its own," Stadler told Handelsblatt.

So... Red Bull, ready to shove your foot in your proverbial mouth?

Other than that, there are reports that Bentley is interested in building a Daytona Prototype

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/exclusive-bentley-evaluating-prototype-options-for-2017/

While currently achieving success around the globe with its Continental GT3, Bentley is targeting a re-entry into prototype racing, with a focus on the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

Speaking to Sportscar365, Bentley CEO Wolfgang Durheimer revealed the British manufacturer is monitoring developments in the new-for-2017 Prototype class, with an eye towards building a program that would compete for overall wins in North America.

Should the green light be given, it would mark Bentley’s first prototype program since the Speed 8, which won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2003.

“With this, we’d race the entire United SportsCar Championship and we could compete [for the overall win] in the Daytona 24,” he said.

Durheimer confirmed Bentley attended the recent LMP2 manufacturers meeting at Daytona, and despite new LMP2-based regulations set to launch in 2017, he admitted a Daytona Prototype-based car appeals the most to the brand.

“The format of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship is [currently] Daytona Prototype and P2 cars. And for us, a Daytona Prototype could be an interesting subject,” he said.

Last but not least, BMW is interested in running WEC via LMP1! Which I would love to see.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/report-bmw-evaluating-lmp1-program-for-2017/

Could BMW be the latest manufacturer to join the LMP1 ranks and go up against rivals Audi and Porsche, as well as Toyota and Nissan with a factory hybrid prototype?

That appears to be a strong possibility, judging by recent reports in German media.

Auto Motor und Sport reports that a LMP1 design project is underway from the Bavarian manufacturer, which if given the green light, could see BMW on the grid by as early as 2017.

The leading German publication states that BMW Motorsport personnel have been spotted at both FIA World Endurance Championship rounds this year, taking a particular interest in machinery from the top-level prototype class.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP

Happy Greatest racing day in the world folks!

We already have 2 results for this weekend, first is Formula E from Berlin!

1. di Grassi

2. D'Ambrosio

3. Buemi

4. Duval

5. Piquet Jr.

6. Heidfeld

7. Sarrazin

8. Vergne

9. Bird

10. Liuzzi

It was just a dominant performance from di Grassi, he just couldn't be caught... HOWEVER!!!

di Grassi was stripped of his win

http://www.racer.com/international-racing/item/117133-di-grassi-loses-berlin-fe-victory

The Brazilian's Abt squad was deemed to have modified the front wing and front wheel faring of his car, meaning he has been excluded and the victory awarded to Dragon Racing's Jerome d'Ambrosio.

The stewards found that changes had been made in three key areas relating to the internal reinforcement of the front-wheel fairings, the sealing of holes in the front wing and modifications made to the front flap and gurney. The changes were listed by the stewards as follows:

1) The front wheel fairing both left and right hand side have been modified with internal metal reinforcing rods.

2) Six of the eight holes in the front wing have been sealed. The remaining two holes having helicoil inserts and chamfers made.

3) Front flap and gurney LH 220 has a filler layer added and chamfer made.

I'm sure they will appeal

Next up, the classic Monaco grand prix for F1

1.Rosberg

2. Vettel

3. Hamilton

4. Kvyat

5. Ricciardo

6. Raikkonen

7. Perez

8. Button

9. Nasar

10. Sainz Jr.

There was a screw up in the pits thus causing Hamilton to lose the lead but hey, Rosberg winning 3 straight Monaco Grand Prix is a big accomplishment! Vettel looked good & even Red Bull looked like a contender at least. Plus, McLaren finally has points thanks to Jenson's 8th place finish.

Next up for F1, One of my favorite tracks, Canada! For Formula E Moscow.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the results from the Indy 500...

1. Montoya

2. Power

3. Kimball

4. Dixon

5. Rahal

6. Andretti

7. Castroneves

8. Hilderbrand

9. Newgarden

10. Pagenaud

What a great race, especially for the top 3, one minute it's Dixon, then, Power, Then Montoya. Even Kimball had a chance, this was a great race. The duel's in Detroit are up next.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the results from the Indy 500...

1. Montoya

2. Power

3. Kimball

4. Dixon

5. Rahal

6. Andretti

7. Castroneves

8. Hilderbrand

9. Newgarden

10. Pagenaud

What a great race, especially for the top 3, one minute it's Dixon, then, Power, Then Montoya. Even Kimball had a chance, this was a great race. The duel's in Detroit are up next.

Ryan Briscoe finished 12th. Not a big deal? He spent an hour in the car this week as a quick replacement for Hinch!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I like that Montoya has another 500 to his name. Though I'm not sure 39yr old champion looks great on paper for either the event or the circuit, meh I like him.

I've always liked Montoya & guys like him who dive head first into any pool; Nigel Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve, Danica Patrick, Tony Stewart... even if they're thrown boat loads of money, they're still pulling the trigger.

Racing should be about the best piloting drivers, not the most comfortable or seasoned.

Personally, I'd love to see Jeff Gordon try qualifying for the next Indy 500.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Looks like more rumblings for Lotus or possibly Renault...

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/05/28/have-renault-already-bought-lotus/

A number of international media sources believe Lotus is on the cusp of being sold, if not already in the sold to Renault with only the final legalities set to be ironed out.

Just two weeks ago, amid reports the Enstone team was in talks with its former owner Renault, Lotus chief Matthew Carter declared: “My shareholders have said quite specifically the team isn’t for sale”.

But the speculation did not stop. It has been fueled, in part, by the fact that Gerard Lopez, representing the majority owner Genii, has been almost completely absent from the Formula 1 paddock so far in 2015.

The Luxembourger then suddenly appeared in Barcelona, where Autosprint now reports that talks to sell a major chunk of the Enstone team back to Renault took place.

It is claimed a final decision – at least with regards to the Enstone plan – if not already agreed to, could be made by the end of this week. Renault chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn was a notable figure in the Monaco paddock last weekend.

Writing in Turun Sanomat, correspondent Luis Vasconcelos reports: “Negotiations on the purchase of the Lotus team have progressed to the decisive phase.

“A deadline for the Lopez and (Renault F1 boss Cyril) Abiteboul negotiations is the end of May, so the outcome is expected in the coming days,” he added.

baltimoreravens.png

The world has been waiting but it's finally here....

Taylor Swift sponsors an IndyCar!

m0qpimxxe3ene8geqy87_zps2vlwh82j.jpg

Photo credit and story:

http://chipganassiracing.com/News/2015/5/Global-Superstar-Taylor-Swift-to-Adorn-Kanaans-Car.aspx#.VWfmZKq3NTc

When it crashes, is she going to write a god awful song about it?

Ganassi will just tell Tony and the team what he tells all of his race teams following wrecks...

"Shake It Off!"

Archived