Which sport has the most timeless look?

I would say baseball, however, pullovers in the '70s and '80s, as well as the ever changing length of pants makes that a tough call. basketball had short shorts, high socks, and the '90s. Football had the evolution of helmets and the short jersey era (whatever that is called). Soccer has had the introduction of ads. I know nothing about hockey... So which sport do you think has the most timeless look?

This one is easy. 1927 on the left, present day on the right.

t_30613.jpgny_g_jeter_sy_300.jpg

Page500_247_0.jpgsam-bradford-st_louis-rams-week-2-nfl-pi

BabeDyeChicago.jpgKaneWinterClassicGamepx.jpg

Dixie-Dean-scored-67-goal-008.jpgLionel-Messi-140108-Scores-R300.jpg

jb_progress_basketball_1_e.jpgpg2_g_lebron1_300.jpg

1. Baseball

2. Soccer

3. Basketball
4. Hockey

5. Football

Basically, equipment has advanced, which lends itself to a different aesthetic. The less equipment a sport requires, the less it will change.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

My first thought was baseball. You can go pretty far back and see the Yankees and some other have pretty much un-changing looks. Of course you can make that claim for hockey as well.

I am looking at the "big 4" here. No college (since football/hoops change constantly anyway)

I don't fault anyone for changing equipment needs (batting helmets, football sleeve loss, even long hoops shorts, etc.)

I think it's between NHL and MLB. NBA has very few looks that would even resemble the 80s. Their alts are the worst offenders (Christmas alts, sleeves, etc.) NFL is playing its way out with the Bucs, Seahawks, Jags...While some of their changes (Broncos, old Vikes, etc.) are because we don't use sleeves any more, they don't have to do that (see Lions and Steelers). There are some iconic looks but all the funny number fonts, etc. kill it for me.

NHL, as pointed out by Ice Cap, has not really done anything too egregious. You still have the Original 6 looking great but I feel that most of the other teams downgrade every chance they get.

But MLB did throw the 70s/80s sansabelts, power blues, and pullovers at us. Most of that junk is gone but history counts. I am probably biased because with MLB uniforms we almost never bitch about the manufacturer (cannot even think of who it is). And what I mean by that is that the uniforms, for the most part, are not too "out there" in design. MLB uniforms essentially "keep it simple" (though they make up for it with batting practice, stars/stripes, etc.). I don't love every MLB uniform, but it's definitely last in the big 4 in terms of "clown suits."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would say baseball, however, pullovers in the '70s and '80s, as well as the ever changing length of pants makes that a tough call. basketball had short shorts, high socks, and the '90s. Football had the evolution of helmets and the short jersey era (whatever that is called). Soccer has had the introduction of ads. I know nothing about hockey... So which sport do you think has the most timeless look?

Short jersey?

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Short jersey?
I assume he is referring to the 90's look of a jersey that doesn't come all the way down to the pants, exposing the player's stomach. Which, by the way, appears to becoming popular again in college football.

This is what a short jersey is

fiesta05.jpg

No! This is what a short jersey is:

1995-11-2-ray-lewis-miami-4_3_rx812_c108

The short jersey, or what I call a midriff jersey, was a terrible look. I grew up watching college football when they were prominent and I couldn't stand them back then. I'd say the looks today are much better when it comes to college football jerseys. The most timeless to me is hockey. Baseball is good besides the pajama pant look.

Baseball has always been one of the most timeless looking sports. In my opinion, even some of the pullover era jerseys looked good.

I agree with ya. I love pullover jerseys in baseball; just wish it could make some sort of comeback.

UBwef0L.png

Short jersey?
I assume he is referring to the 90's look of a jersey that doesn't come all the way down to the pants, exposing the player's stomach. Which, by the way, appears to becoming popular again in college football.

I was gonna post that too. It definitely seems like that trend is coming back. I wonder if the jersey is actually cut shorter or are the players just tucking the bottom into the top half somehow?

Baseball has always been one of the most timeless looking sports. In my opinion, even some of the pullover era jerseys looked good.

I agree with ya. I love pullover jerseys in baseball; just wish it could make some sort of comeback.
Not trying to sound like Phantomdreamer, but I think a few teams could make pullover jerseys work as alternates.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Short jersey?

I was gonna post that too. It definitely seems like that trend is coming back. I wonder if the jersey is actually cut shorter or are the players just tucking the bottom into the top half somehow?

Looks to me like players are just tucking their jerseys up into their pads.

gotta say hockey and soccer come the closest. Hoops shorts are longer, Baseball pants are pajamas, football has helmets with facemasks and bikershorts.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived