2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

K thx!

After I posted I went looking back at the templates to refresh my memory. I guess I could be talked into advocating a slightly different angle or pitch to the mountains shapes as they cross the back of the jersey. It did play havoc with the overlapping of the name (nameplates) and numerals.

I had an Adam Deadmarsh jersey back in the day (before NHL Shop) and in those days it was more common to hire out aftermarket customization at local hockey shops etc. And they really messed up that long name and the placement of the numeral.

So I noticed their solution was to shrink the numerals in real life and I do NOT advocate that. To me jerseys always look a little goofy if the numbers get too small (or too big).

Like a freight train with stickum

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consensus on the Avalanche is hardly unanimous but the majority of people on these boards think the original jerseys should come back in some capacity. While some may prefer the original, "redder" shade of burgundy and others the current, the uniforms are generally regarded as modern classics that were ruined during the 'Edge' changeover. I've also noticed quite a bit of love for the burgundy alts with the diagonal text, with some going so far as to advocate them being the primary homes. Albeit with the logo replacing the diagonal text.

As for my opinion, I think there was one instance where they improved their uniforms... When the crest increased in size and was tilted slightly counterclockwise for the 1996/97 season. The original shade of burgundy made a huge difference.

VdxaiaT.jpg

Oh man, I had that poster hanging out in my room as a kid.

And yes, the tilt of the logo to align the top of the A with the collar made a huge difference. It looks sloppy on the 95/96 sweater.

The mountain striping on the originals is a bit much, but it would still be an improvement for the Avs if they went back to those.

As for the shoulder patch, unpopular opinion here but I always felt indifferent towards the yeti foot. Does the Yeti or Bigfoot have any particular relevance to folklore in Colorado? Maybe it was more appropriate when their mascot was a Yeti. I like that they went with the C logo instead, but maybe they could have done more with it, like having the C portion in white so it stands out better against the sleeve stripes.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Switch the shoulder and chest logos and keep the home jersey maroon and I think you have the new Avalanche jerseys in about 2-3 years.

Consensus on the Avalanche is hardly unanimous but the majority of people on these boards think the original jerseys should come back in some capacity. While some may prefer the original, "redder" shade of burgundy and others the current, the uniforms are generally regarded as modern classics that were ruined during the 'Edge' changeover. I've also noticed quite a bit of love for the burgundy alts with the diagonal text, with some going so far as to advocate them being the primary homes. Albeit with the logo replacing the diagonal text.

As for my opinion, I think there was one instance where they improved their uniforms... When the crest increased in size and was tilted slightly counterclockwise for the 1996/97 season. The original shade of burgundy made a huge difference.

VdxaiaT.jpg

Oh man, I had that poster hanging out in my room as a kid.

And yes, the tilt of the logo to align the top of the A with the collar made a huge difference. It looks sloppy on the 95/96 sweater.

I had that jersey in my college dorm

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Avs: Somehow made the worst uniform in the NHL worse.

Oilers: Love the orange alt. Really like the numbers on the shoulders.

Coyotes: Meh. Not much better than what they had. Need a real hem stripe and not just small trim at the bottom.

I still maintain that StPatty33 has the best concept in the history of the CCSLC boards:

IceC.jpg

Cbroidered.png

CPpatch3.jpg

The Avs need to pay Steve a large some of money and then never change.

Not sure I like that over the "A" as a primary, but that would have been 10000X better than the generic C alternate logo they just added.

Personally, I believe the Avs current primary logo is good in theory ("A" mountain with an avalanche), but pretty awful in terms of the rendering (have you really looked at how unbalanced and awkward the "A" is?) outside of the frozen puck.

Steve's logo ties brilliantly into the Colorado flag, it's well balanced, and fits the Avalanche brand to a T. All my opinion, of course.

Switch the shoulder and chest logos and keep the home jersey maroon and I think you have the new Avalanche jerseys in about 2-3 years.

Yeah, I meant more of what the third jersey could be this year.

I could see them doing something like this for a full set in a few years:

OHcyywp.png

Personally, I believe the Avs current primary logo is good in theory ("A" mountain with an avalanche), but pretty awful in terms of the rendering (have you really looked at how unbalanced and awkward the "A" is?) outside of the frozen puck.

Steve's logo ties brilliantly into the Colorado flag, it's well balanced, and fits the Avalanche brand to a T. All my opinion, of course.

Yes, that is true. I remember drawing the logo as a kid and always struggled with the A. It just doesn't line up well.

The only thing I really don't like with Steve's logo is the highlight on the puck. Seems off to me. But yes, it would be a great tie in between the flag logo and an avalanche.

Coyotes new duds just remind me of the old Islanders edge jerseys with the contrasting sleeve colors. That's a terrible look. So many cool things they couldve done with the color scheme and then working in the heritage kachina, etc. and thats what they chose? Ugh.

The Avalanche basically just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic. How are Sakic and Roy not pushing for something more classic and less cluttered?

Coyotes new duds just remind me of the old Islanders edge jerseys with the contrasting sleeve colors. That's a terrible look. So many cool things they couldve done with the color scheme and then working in the heritage kachina, etc. and thats what they chose? Ugh.

The Avalanche basically just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic. How are Sakic and Roy not pushing for something more classic and less cluttered?

I had the same reaction to the Coyotes. Looks like the Isles jerseys that they changed a few years after the edge takeover...

Sterling and Stampman in one thread? Wow, this takes me back :)

If I had my way only teams that wore lace-ups pre-1990s would be allowed to wear them now.

Why?

It's just my preference.

It's part of the uniform possibilities--so why can't all teams use them.

Let them use them if they like or not if they don't.

Personally I like them, and wish more teams would use them.

It's a design element that has a certain connotation: old time hockey. Now some newer teams can pull the laces look off. Minnesota does it wonderfully. I think they look great on Ottawa's fauxbacks.

All in all though? It just looks odd when you see modern looks like Anaheim's or Arizona's use them. It's a stylistic clash. Or even Calgary? A traditional collar with that very modern striping pattern? It's just jarring, in my opinion.

Cases like Carolina and Tampa are hardly better. True, their pair the laces with appropriately vintage designs. The designs themselves are so out of place, however, that I still get the sense that it doesn't really fit.

Not all Original 6 teams used them all the time, not did the teams in the 70's etc.

Yep. Which is why, if I had my way, the Red Wings would never adopt them. They never worse lace-up collars so they'd be barred from adopting them.

I never cared for the footprint shoulder logo so when I heard there'd be a flag-based "C" I thought it sounded great. But that's why you wait to see it. It just looks odd.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Arizona's change is an improvement, but still mediocre.

Edmonton's is okay, but unnecessary. The blue NOBs look awful.

Colorado's made the worst uniform in the league even worse.

The Habs' new collar is great news, but it looks awkward on the road jersey.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived