2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Based on past success, it makes perfect sense to keep the road jerseys as is. Still, the whites with the blue chest stripes are vastly superior from a visual standpoint and resulted in a more consistent uniform set. If only they hadn't changed back in 1947...

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been so many comments in the past few days that instead of responding to all of those, I'm just going to share my thoughts on the unveilings so far... well, for now. :P First, the Avalanche. I never liked the Yeti Foot, however, it was a logo that had life to it. The new logo makes sense. It is part of Denver's State Flag, and it is also a tribute to the old Colorado Rockies, however, compared to the Foot, it is awfully boring, though I don't hate it. This is one of the biggest headscratchers I have seen since the Sharks' last jersey change. What's the point of that when the jerseys are so damn bad. I hope their new third is really nice. As for the Canadiens, I think the lace-ups are a nice touch, however, I have always liked the 1993 version of their jerseys the best. I thought the Habs' red jersey with the laces would have been a perfect Winter Classic jersey, or better yet, which could still happen, the blue-striped white jersey. As for the Oilers, I hate the shoulder numbers, however, since this is a WHA throwback, I'm okay with that, however, besides that, the orange jersey is AWESOME!. The Ducks' changing their mock-tie from black to white on the home jersey is a great move. That little change balances the jersey. For the second year in a row, the Ducks have managed to improve what in my opinion, isn't that great of a jersey. Now to Arizona. First off, I'm glad the Turd Burger font isn't going to waste. I could care less that they are using it, but, it isn't a bad font. As for the jerseys, I think they had potential, but they decided it was good enough adding some white trim on the bottom. Where's the Kachina striping? Where's the uniqueness, besides the color? The mock-tie collar makes these jerseys look fake. I love lace-ups, and I think it is great that the Ducks have their own unique version of the lace-up, however, Arizona should not have any lace-up on the new jerseys. As for Columbus, I like the new patch. The Soldier Cap logo was good, but I do like that they put the Cannon roundel from their alternate onto the main jerseys. As for the Caps' new third, I love it. Anyway, sorry for such a long post.

In most cases I prefer the home and road to match as much as possible, however I will never understand the appeal of the Canadiens matching white jersey.

First of all, they've had the white jersey forever. Their established identity is two non-matching jerseys. This isn't the Minnesota Wild where it's unacceptable because they deliberately choose not to match. It's the most historic team in the sport and their identities were established at a time when it wasn't as important. It adds to the whole cache to have two uniforms with different long visual histories. Plus dumping the white jersey with all it's been through now would be a mistake.

I love the simplicity of the white jersey. I love how it takes a backseat to the red jersey.

And two things about this: 1. It's predominantly blue, which is weird for a team who wears red jerseys and socks half the time. 2. The regular white jersey has that pretty red yoke and red cuffs. The colors are balanced in nearly the same ratio across the whole uniform as the home reds. Well it's closer than the throwback at least.

saku-koivu.jpg

just doesn't do it for me. If they're an expansion team just starting out, sure, but they're not so no thanks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I still maintain that StPatty33 has the best concept in the history of the CCSLC boards:

Cbroidered.png

The Avs need to pay Steve a large some of money and then never change

This would make a fantastic shoulder patch... for an alternate uniform. I say that because as good as it is, it's not better than the "Foot" patch. I'm sure I sound like a broken record by now but I just cannot get over what a loss the Avs changes are for hockey related design. If there was ever a perfect example of how to do a secondary logo right, it was that logo.

It's more relevant to both Colorado and the Avalanche nickname than the foot patch ever was. If not for there already being enough C logos in the NHL as is, I'd say this would also be a perfect replacement for the primary crest.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

It wouldn't actually be too awful (at least not compared to their current set), if the Avs just used the old Colorado Rockies design. It represents the state better, it shows mountains w/o a hockey puck falling off them, and also can pull off the C logo from the state flag.

There have been so many comments in the past few days that instead of responding to all of those, I'm just going to share my thoughts on the unveilings so far... well, for now. :P First, the Avalanche. I never liked the Yeti Foot, however, it was a logo that had life to it. The new logo makes sense. It is part of Denver's State Flag, and it is also a tribute to the old Colorado Rockies, however, compared to the Foot, it is awfully boring, though I don't hate it. This is one of the biggest headscratchers I have seen since the Sharks' last jersey change. What's the point of that when the jerseys are so damn bad. I hope their new third is really nice. As for the Canadiens, I think the lace-ups are a nice touch, however, I have always liked the 1993 version of their jerseys the best. I thought the Habs' red jersey with the laces would have been a perfect Winter Classic jersey, or better yet, which could still happen, the blue-striped white jersey. As for the Oilers, I hate the shoulder numbers, however, since this is a WHA throwback, I'm okay with that, however, besides that, the orange jersey is AWESOME!. The Ducks' changing their mock-tie from black to white on the home jersey is a great move. That little change balances the jersey. For the second year in a row, the Ducks have managed to improve what in my opinion, isn't that great of a jersey. Now to Arizona. First off, I'm glad the Turd Burger font isn't going to waste. I could care less that they are using it, but, it isn't a bad font. As for the jerseys, I think they had potential, but they decided it was good enough adding some white trim on the bottom. Where's the Kachina striping? Where's the uniqueness, besides the color? The mock-tie collar makes these jerseys look fake. I love lace-ups, and I think it is great that the Ducks have their own unique version of the lace-up, however, Arizona should not have any lace-up on the new jerseys. As for Columbus, I like the new patch. The Soldier Cap logo was good, but I do like that they put the Cannon roundel from their alternate onto the main jerseys. As for the Caps' new third, I love it. Anyway, sorry for such a long post.

Are you saying that Arizona is using the same font as the Sabres 3rd? If so they are not the same font, Arizona's number and alpha fonts are brand new.

Shot of the jersey from NHL shop where you can see the southwestern design on the hanger effect, and the captain C on the right shoulder.

AF7F5983-9D48-4806-B101-725C49503AA8_zps

Is it just me or did Arizona go all Tampa Bay Buccaneers jumbo-size helmet logo on their jerseys? That coyote looks HUGE!

Also? At the risk of beating a dead horse. In THIS photo at least? The sand is so close to white as to make the exercise of distinguishing the two moot. I don't like to think there are strict rules on this...but my sense is overwhelmingly that any creamish tone this light (be it the Yotes, the Milwaukee Bucks or any team's faux vintage stuff...should be either white or cream and seldom both.

I fully understand this photo is probably a bad one and that the Pantones on faux vintage, the Yotes and Bucks are likely all different from one another.

But just based on color proportions visible here? Why not make the crushed coyote skull r/w/black? there's no sand in the uniforms to speak of anymore anyway.

My guess? It's an Arizona-ish palette color you'd like to have at your disposal for caps and golf shirts if nothing else. Another potential case of the secondary merchandise concerns being as important as the on-ice/field/court aesthetic?

Like a freight train with stickum

In most cases I prefer the home and road to match as much as possible, however I will never understand the appeal of the Canadiens matching white jersey.

First of all, they've had the white jersey forever. Their established identity is two non-matching jerseys. This isn't the Minnesota Wild where it's unacceptable because they deliberately choose not to match. It's the most historic team in the sport and their identities were established at a time when it wasn't as important. It adds to the whole cache to have two uniforms with different long visual histories. Plus dumping the white jersey with all it's been through now would be a mistake.

I love the simplicity of the white jersey. I love how it takes a backseat to the red jersey.

And two things about this: 1. It's predominantly blue, which is weird for a team who wears red jerseys and socks half the time. 2. The regular white jersey has that pretty red yoke and red cuffs. The colors are balanced in nearly the same ratio across the whole uniform as the home reds. Well it's closer than the throwback at least.

saku-koivu.jpg

just doesn't do it for me. If they're an expansion team just starting out, sure, but they're not so no thanks.

Agreed so much. I love the Habs' white jerseys, although I wish they'd brighten the red a little bit. Have and will never understand the appeal of those blue stripe ones. Red and blue blur together so much.

It wouldn't actually be too awful (at least not compared to their current set), if the Avs just used the old Colorado Rockies design. It represents the state better, it shows mountains w/o a hockey puck falling off them, and also can pull off the C logo from the state flag.

There's no reason for them to use the Rockies design though. It doesn't look good, not a single thing has been won it and the defunct franchise has zero association to the team.

The mountain striped identity has two championships, multiple retired numbers, a cavalcade of winning seasons & accolades and is visually superior.

There's no reason for them to use the Rockies design though. It doesn't look good, not a single thing has been won it and the defunct franchise has zero association to the team.

The mountain striped identity has two championships, multiple retired numbers, a cavalcade of winning seasons & accolades and is visually superior.

Agreed. I found it odd they even had the Colorado Rockies sweater on stage with the Edge unveil. It's not a part of their history so why include it?

I'm afraid some new exec saw those pics and decided to go all in with the Colorado theme.

Furthermore, the majority of the Avs' fanbase doesn't really connect with the old Rockies. It's not like the Rockies left in '93 so the league brought in a new team in '95.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wish the Avs would have at least gotten a little creative with the Colorado flag C. I mean I get why they went with it, but they didn't need to just rip it off.

This took me like 15 minutes to do. It combines the "C", forms an "A" and has a mountain peak in it...

gA815dH.pngBx1bhKE.png

Why didn't the original Rockies work out? Denver's a good hockey market, at least now. Was it too soon in 1976?

I mean it did help the Avs case to win the Cup immediately and remain good for a decade.

My guess is that it's because the Rockies stunk.

I wish the Avs would have at least gotten a little creative with the Colorado flag C. I mean I get why they went with it, but they didn't need to just rip it off.

This took me like 15 minutes to do. It combines the "C", forms an "A" and has a mountain peak in it...

gA815dH.pngBx1bhKE.png

I like the idea, just looks more like an O than a C in that position. The silver mountain top is better and it'd make a great ski resort logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Why didn't the original Rockies work out? Denver's a good hockey market, at least now. Was it too soon in 1976?

I mean it did help the Avs case to win the Cup immediately and remain good for a decade.

It was a combination of a lot of things. Hockey just wasn't that popular in Colorado back then, the Nuggets were pretty good and really popular at the time, the team was awful, and there was a revolving door of owners who didn't really care about the on ice product.

Plus, they were originally supposed to move to NJ in 1978, but the arena wasn't ready yet. So, they had to wait until 1982. That pretty much killed any interest the city had in the following 3 seasons.

jNTsTyQ.png

Just like their uniforms and identity

Just like their uniforms and identity

Also, I'm pretty sure they were the only NHL team to use heat-pressed crests and numbers instead of twill.

14_16541a_lg.jpeg

Just adds a whole dimension of nasty to it, doesn't it?

So you mean that the Flyers, Pens and lightning wil have another 3rd jersey? Just one year after unveiling their new one ?

Unlikely. Those colors correspond to the colors of their current thirds.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived