2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Unpopular opinion but I really don't see what's so great about the Leafs Winter Classic uniform. The square shoulder yoke looks odd and they only used it for 4 years back in the 30's anyways. When it comes to the Leafs best look, it starts and ends with this beauty...

It is baffling why they insist on using that tired "Ballard Leaf" when nearly every other logo in their history is vastly superior. Also, they've never won anything in that logo and if the current state of the team is any indicator, that trend is going to continue.

Sorry, I can't agree on this being the best Leafs logo ever for one simple reason. The text is off-center. It drives me absolutely batty every time I see it. Fix the text and then I'll agree. Until then, burn it. At least the Ballard Leaf doesn't have that problem. Yes, "Maple Leafs" is centered to "Toronto", but the O butting up to the side of the logo like that with the blank space on the left side just...no.

Centered or not, the logo is still vastly superior to the generic and vaguely corporate looking Ballard Leaf. I didn't even notice the text was off centered until you pointed it out.

The text kills that logo. Fix it and I agree with you. They could even widen it a little lengthwise to make slotting in the text easier. Hell, use that leaf (a little wider) with the text from the Ballard Leaf. Done.

I have to disagree completely, while it would be better if it were properly aligned, even with the offcenter text its still miles better than the current logo. You can chalk it up to old-timey charm or whatever.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to drag up a thread on counterfeit jerseys to post this (the most recent of which, according to a board search, was last posted in in 2013), and since it seems to focus mainly on hockey, I figured this would be a good spot ...

TSN is airing a three-part series on SportsCentre starting today called "Faking It," which focuses on the growing counterfeit industry surrounding pro sports. There will be one part each on counterfeit tickets, counterfeit autographs/memorabilia and counterfeit jerseys. It looks fascinating. If you'd rather see it all at once, it will be aired on W5 on the main CTV network on Saturday evening.

I didn't want to drag up a thread on counterfeit jerseys to post this (the most recent of which, according to a board search, was last posted in in 2013), and since it seems to focus mainly on hockey, I figured this would be a good spot ...

TSN is airing a three-part series on SportsCentre starting today called "Faking It," which focuses on the growing counterfeit industry surrounding pro sports. There will be one part each on counterfeit tickets, counterfeit autographs/memorabilia and counterfeit jerseys. It looks fascinating. If you'd rather see it all at once, it will be aired on W5 on the main CTV network on Saturday evening.

Interesting... I am heading to the land of the counterfeits next month, I am curious to see how bad it is there.

I'll be sure to take and post as many pics as I can.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Β 

Not too much needed honestly, the NHL looks pretty good.

Calgary and Colorado need brand new jerseys, hopefully throwbacks.

Pittsburgh needs to make the throwbacks the basis for their home and away.

Ottawa needs a red version and a white version of their Heritage jerseys to become the home and away.

Minnesota need to make the green their home and make it match their white.

Other than that we've got a pretty damn nice looking league. Still some jerseys I don't really like but nothing too urgent, and most of the teams with ugly jerseys (ANA, CAR, SJ) just added them so it's not like they'll change.

Here is my own NHL jersey wish list.

Anaheim Ducks

Instead of what they have now, create an updated/modernized version of the original Mighty Ducks uniforms with the current colors. Includes the return of the original primary crest logo. Don't use any shoulder patch.

Striping pattern can be used, but only if it can fit within original jersey design. Use the Stadium Series jersey as an alternate, but with original logo. All of its lettering and numbering fonts must return and be used on all uniforms.

Arizona Coyotes

One of two things... either re-add the hem striping OR create an updated uniform set with southwestern style stripping on hems and sleeves. Increase presence of black and sand in overall jersey colors. No shoulder yokes.
AZ state logo on one shoulder as it has been. Consider the current moon logo for the other shoulder.
KEEP primary logo on home and away jerseys and add it to a new black alternate jersey. If not on the alternate, use a large size version of the moon logo on the front.
Use the black 1997 throwback only for very special occasions, meaning potentially just a home game or two for an entire season.

Boston Bruins

Change nameplate to standard block lettering font on all uniforms. Replace current alternate with the 2010 Winter Classic jersey.

Buffalo Sabres

Remove ALL grey/silver from the uniforms. Replace ugly current alternate jersey with one matching the navy blue home jersey, but in classic royal blue and gold colors.
And remove the small numbers on the front of the jerseys.

Calgary Flames
Overhaul their home and away uniforms. Create a modernized update to their throwback uniforms with slight addition of black outlining. ONLY IF a shoulder patch is needed, use the new one from their ugly current alternate.

Consider a new black alternate jersey, but with a new logo! It would be a large size crest logo featuring flames burning logs. No detailing on the logs. Think of when you are camping with a bonfire in front of you.

All numbering and lettering must be the same as the one used from those original uniforms. Use the classic flaming C logo on ALL uniforms. No horse head, no Calgary wordmark.

Carolina Hurricanes
Update their 2006 Stanley Cup championship uniforms under current Reebok Edge template. Keep black alternate jersey, but remove primary logo on shoulders.

Chicago Blackhawks

Keep their primary uniforms exactly the same. Bring back their 2009 Winter Classic jersey as an alternate jersey.

Colorado Avalanche
Overhaul ALL their uniforms, especially their home and away jerseys. Includes ugly piping left over from the start of the Reebok Edge era. If keeping the primary logo, just simplify the look.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Overhaul their primary home and away uniforms. Includes creation of a new primary logo. Alternate jersey stays as is.

Dallas Stars

Replace the rondel logo with the new Texas state outline secondary logo on the shoulders. OR, with the rondel logo, remove the team name from it.
Change striping pattern on jerseys and socks to something that is NOT so close to exactly what the Chicago Blackhawks have.

Detroit Red Wings

Keep their primary uniforms exactly the same. Consider a matching home and away set as alternates with the design being from the 2009 Winter Classic.

Edmonton Oilers
Keep their primary uniforms as is, except make their primary logo very slightly larger in size. Consider a modernized "Alberta Oilers" jersey as an alternate.

Florida Panthers

Bring back their original uniforms, including their navy blue alternate jersey. Only change is using the current nameplate and numbering fonts on ALL uniforms.

Los Angeles Kings

Normally I would say simply bring back the Wayne Gretzky era jerseys as they are, but perhaps use a brand new eye-appealing (and symmetrically balanced) crown logo on them instead.

Use their original purple and gold jerseys as alternates based on if they are at home or on the road. And for THOSE jerseys, use the same nameplate and numbering fonts as the Gretzky era jerseys.

Minnesota Wild
Use the primary logo on the front of ALL uniforms. NO shoulder yolks, especially the unnecessary phantom ones on their current home and alternate jerseys.

Make green the base color on the home jersey, white for the away jersey and Iron Range Red for the alternate jersey.

MontrΓ©al Canadiens

Keep their primary uniforms exactly the same. Consider using a white alternate jersey based on 1944-1947 design that was worn during the 2009 centennial celebration season.

Nashville Predators

Create a navy blue version of their current jersey set as a new alternate jersey.

New Jersey Devils

Promote their throwback red jersey featuring the forest green shoulder yolk to their new alternate jersey.

New York Islanders

Change the nameplate and numbering fonts to what was used from 1998 to 2007. Remove the shoulder yolk on their Stadium Series jersey. DO NOT even think of bringing back the dreaded "fisherman" jerseys.

New York Rangers

Fix the classic wordmark across their primary jerseys to match exactly what it looked like (its placement, including how it is angled) right before the Reebok Edge era began in 2007.

Bring back their "Lady Liberty" jerseys, but without the ugly "jazzed up" logo on the shoulders. Use navy blue one at home and the white one on the road. For that one, be sure the nameplate letter outlining match the numbers.
Keep the current Heritage jersey for mainly Original Six home games. One change to it. Use the same logo on it as the 2012 Winter Classic jersey on the front. That would replace the "NEW YORK" wordmark.

Ottawa Senators

Replace current home and away uniform crest logo with the 3D logo used from 2000 to 2007. Remove all side panel striping.

Keep their current alternate jersey, but make slight wordmark lettering font change within its shoulder logo. It is too thin. Bring back matching Heritage Classic jersey for select road games.

Philadelphia Flyers

Do one of two things... either make those damn sleeve stripes thicker to fit the numbers within them or remove them altogether.
Keep the 2012 Winter Classic jersey as their alternate, but consider the use of white instead of vintage white.

Pittsburgh Penguins

For their primary home and away uniforms, remove all the unorthodox side panel and sleeve striping. Keep numbering font. Switch to classic black and gold colors. Have very slightly larger standard size block font for nameplate.
Bring back 2008 Winter Classic uniform as an alternate.

San Jose Sharks
Add matching hem stripes to all their jerseys. Replace the SJ shoulder logo with their current "shark fin" logo. Remove the small numbers on the front of the jerseys.

St. Louis Blues

Drop the rondel logo altogether. Replace on the front of the alternate jersey with the primary "Blue Note" logo. Would look like what you see on the Blues' navy blue home helmets.
May need very slight striping/outlining changes to balance the primary logo into that jersey. But do so without drastically changing the overall design.

Tampa Bay Lightning

For the love of God, get some black in there. They don't need to be the team that is next on this list. Consider a uniform design similar to their previous uniform set, but obviously with the current logo.
Completely drop the "BOLTS" wordmark altogether from their identity, including their new alternate jersey which needs those Kings sleeve stripes removed.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Keep their primary uniforms exactly the same. Drop the alternate jersey.

Vancouver Canucks

Promote their current alternate jersey to become their new home jersey. Create a matching white jersey as their new road jersey.
Consider their 1994 road jersey as a new alternate to make fans reminiscing of that playoff run happy.

Washington Capitals
Simply promote the current "W eagle" shoulder logo to become the new primary logo and feature it on the front of the jerseys. Remove all side panel striping and Reebok Edge pinstriping.
Create a new blue alternate jersey with the same promoted crest logo, except with red and white stars on the sleeves and/or hem.

Winnipeg Jets
Replace entire identity to the original team's 1996 primary logo and colors.

Vancouver Canucks

Promote their current alternate jersey to become their new home jersey. Create a matching white jersey as their new road jersey.

Consider their 1994 road jersey as a new alternate to make fans reminiscing of that playoff run happy.

I like the way you think. The black version would be a fine alternate too.

You know what I find funny about the Sharks? They complained about the jerseys being .000000012% heavier or whatever with the yokes and hem stripes but left those ugly and completly unnecessary front chest numbers. lol

The Sharks and Sabres being the only teams left with them says it all

Winnipeg Jets

No thank you. The 1996 set should stay in the 90s.

No way, the 96' jerseys are more than good enough to make a comeback, though I must say, their current jerseys are pretty decent. If there's any jersey set that should stay in the 90's, it's the original Colorado Avalanche jerseys.

Winnipeg Jets

No way, the 96' jerseys are more than good enough to make a comeback, though I must say, their current jerseys are pretty decent. If there's any jersey set that should be brought back from the 90's , it's the original Colorado Avalanche jerseys.
Ftfy

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Winnipeg Jets

No way, the 96' jerseys are more than good enough to make a comeback, though I must say, their current jerseys are pretty decent. If there's any jersey set that should stay in the 90's, it's the original Colorado Avalanche jerseys.

The original Avalanche jerseys are better than the apron mess they have now. Bring back the mountain striping.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

Winnipeg Jets

I don't mind the current colors and do like the nameplate and number fonts of the new Jets, but I don't like any of the logos.

I own a road blue 1996 Winnipeg Jets jersey and to me it just looks better than what we see now.

Winnipeg Jets

When I saw that Teemu Selanne throwback jersey from the 1993 Winnipeg Jets season, I have been hoping for those to be worn in the future. Doubt it will ever happen though.

As for the Avalanche, they really need an overhaul. Everything. If they had to keep their primary logo, I wouldn't object to it. But their jerseys stink.

The Jets current jerseys aren't bad per se, they're just hurt by that personality-less oven dial looking logo. It's a good logo if they were perhaps the Canadian Division of Northrup Grumman, but for the hockey team? Give me any of their logos from 1979-1996 over that one.

It would be a great secondary to support an updated circle-stick-and-plane wordmark. It looks great on the IceCaps' shoulders. Front and center, it does not work. It should also be in the colors of the ensign:

500px-Royal_Canadian_Air_Force_ensign.sv

No "Polar Aviation Midnight Blue" or whatever. This way, you'd be staying faithful to the royal blue and red the Jets always wore and just supplementing it with some of that cool pale blue, which reminds me of the sorta-hazy sky blue you get a lot in an upper midwestern winter.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Winnipeg Jets

No way, the 96' jerseys are more than good enough to make a comeback, though I must say, their current jerseys are pretty decent. If there's any jersey set that should be brought back from the 90's , it's the original Colorado Avalanche jerseys.
Ftfy

Don't say you fixed it for me. You "fixed" it for yourself. I don't get the love for the old Avalanche jerseys. Their shade of blue doesn't work with the burgundy and their uniforms are all over the place. The one good jersey they have had was their burgundy COLORADO jersey. That was a good jersey. Their logo isn't terrible but I think it's time for them to try something new.

I think the Jets current set is much better than what they used to wear, but their old logos were better. If you want to compromise, stick the old logos in the new colour scheme on the new sweaters.

Yeah their old uniforms looked good. But I think we can all agree we don't need ANOTHER red, white and blue team. Not to mention the old stripe pattern was completely derivative and dime-a-dozen. The new stripe pattern is unique enough to be distinctly their own, while simple enough to stand the test of time.

I think the Jets current set is much better than what they used to wear, but their old logos were better. If you want to compromise, stick the old logos in the new colour scheme on the new sweaters.

Disagree. I was never a fan of the Thrashers' logos and don't think they would work with the franchise's current brand.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature.Β 

PotD: 29/1/12

Β 

Β 

Archived