2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Linden said in the pre-season the Canucks were exploring another new look, and even released a Johnny Canuck "fashion jersey".

display.jpg

That jersey is terrible. I hope it never moves up from "fashion" status.

I totally disagree. I have one and I get countless compliments on it, mainly because of Johnny Canuck. I love the green. The Whalers are long gone and there hasn't been any team to wear a kelly green jersey with blue since then.

Anyway, here's my wish list:

Buffalo: Lose the silver piping and the turd third.

Calgary: Retros full time or at the very least, an '04 look with red yokes on the whites, red helmets with the reds and non italic font.

Colorado: More traditional with a bit of pre-Edge elements. Replace the black with maroon. Emphasize a unique colour.

Minnesota: New everything starting with the name. Green should be primary dark colour regardless of any name change.

Nashville: Wear yellows on the road with yellow helmets. Navy worn worn at home.

Ottawa: Traditional jersey template with new 2D logo and black as the primary dark colour.

Pittsburgh: At least return to '91-'92 template.

San Jose: Bring back hem striping and lose front numbers.

Toronto: Harold Ballard Leaf must go. Blue yokes on whites and single white stripes on the pants.

Vancouver: Make Skating Johnny OR the Stick 'n Rink the primary. Return to block font and add a green border. Royal blue as a primary and either kelly green or navy with lots of green as alternate jersey colour.

First off on nashville, it's GOLD not yellow. Second, no gold helmets, the Kings proved that it wasn't good. Third, why would we make gold the away jersey? It looks great and is too dark for away jersey. Although i wouldn't mind seeing the old navy blue alternate return as a third jersey.

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO Calgary wouldn't look good with red equipment with the amount of black currently on the jerseys and the pre-Edge set

You can see here that it looks like too much red.MidgetAAAHockey2340.jpg

↑ ↑ ↑

That looks a lot better than what the Flames have had for the past 20 years. The Flames are a red team first and foremost.

Linden said in the pre-season the Canucks were exploring another new look, and even released a Johnny Canuck "fashion jersey".

display.jpg

That jersey is terrible. I hope it never moves up from "fashion" status.

I totally disagree. I have one and I get countless compliments on it, mainly because of Johnny Canuck. I love the green. The Whalers are long gone and there hasn't been any team to wear a kelly green jersey with blue since then.

I've always thought the full bodied "Johnny Canuck" would look great on a green jersey, but this one looks sadly, slapped together. All they did was reverse the blue & green, in the already questionably striped alternate. The green between the blue and white striping muddles the design and some blue on the collar would go a long way. Logo-wise they could do much better on the shoulder patches. The "VC" logo would be a better choice as would the "Stick n' Rink." The thing that bothers me the most however, is how the logo is so high on the jersey and shrunken down. I guess its not terrible... just could be a lot better.

IMO Calgary wouldn't look good with red equipment with the amount of black currently on the jerseys and the pre-Edge set

↑ ↑ ↑

That looks a lot better than what the Flames have had for the past 20 years. The Flames are a red team first and foremost.

I agree too for just about the same reasons. The red...with the black stripes and yellow accents....it just works.

The Flames alternate jerseys might look great with red pants. Anybody up for a 2-minute Photoshop?

Wishlist (Could if Happen):

Arizona: Add hem Stripes congruent to their arm stripes. (It probably won't happen, they just seem happy being stagnant about everything)

Buffalo: Drop the silver piping and arm pits on the home and road, drop the third altogether. (Home/Road probably won't happen this season, but the superslug's coming to the end of the second year and it could certainly be on the way out)

Calgary: Drop the piping, fix the hem stripes and make them go horizontal and match the cuff stripes. Replace the flags with the third sweater shoulder patch. (The next thing the Flames will do will be an overhaul likely, most likely not for the next couple of years)

Carolina: Add sublimated checker board patterns in between the stripes on the home and in the red area on the away. (They're not likely to admit a mistake after two seasons, not with a quiet fanbase)

Colorado: Everything: drop piping and side striping, move closer to the original template, move to a darker blue, use blue pants, and replace black with silver. I actually do not mind the third at all, it can stay. (I think this could happen, but we've heard nothing yet.)

Edmonton: Replace orange with copper, maybe use a darker blue. (No, definitely not, there would not be much support for this in the Oilers fanbase, even though they might embrace change in every form possible)

Los Angeles: Drop the arm piping, add a hem stripe to the home sweater that it matches the road sweater. Bring back the purple heritage sweater full time as a third. (Again, that home/road thing could happen, but nothing to support it yet. The purple sweater is likely not on it's way back.)

Minnesota: Drop the current red sweater to alternate and promote the green sweater to the primary with real white, the bear logo, and ditching the yoke. (IMO this has a really good chance of happening this summer or the next two summers)

Nasvhille: Drop the piping below the "sabre-tooth effect" (It's such a minor change, it'll probably never be thought about.)

Ottawa: Scrap the home/away, either a) move the current heritage sweater up to the home spot and make a matching road sweater, while using real white instead of vintage white, or b] Make a black set based on one of the 90's sets. On both options add a red alternate with a golden laurel leaf pattern. (The white heritage sweater was scrapped before this season, so it looks unlikely that it would be back unless it was in a plan to bring it back bigger than before. I really see a redesign happening in the next 5 years as we need the money to fund a new stadium, my bets would be on the summer after next)

Pittsburgh: Change to a more classic striping pattern (like one based off of their socks), I don't care if it remains vegas gold or turns yellow. Keep the alternate as it is. (hard to say, Lemieux isn't exactly one for change.)

San Jose: Change up the home, either move back to something like what they had after the edge takeover, or something like their inaugural sweaters. Drop the black third, drop the chest numbers. (Can't see it happening to soon, the weight of a redesign might be too much for the owners to handle)

Tampa Bay: Just do something to the home/road, drop the third. (Lightning owners seem happy about their sweaters, and the third's only a season old, nothing will change here too soon)

Vancouver: Drop the "VANCOUVER" script from above the orca, change the striping to that of the alternate sweater. (I honestly have no idea, any Vancouver fans know anything about potential redesigns)

Washington: Rather they just go back to the copper and blue sweaters. (They're pushing the red-white-blue pretty hard, so most likely not)

Vancouver: Drop the "VANCOUVER" script from above the orca, change the striping to that of the alternate sweater. (I honestly have no idea, any Vancouver fans know anything about potential redesigns)

My thoughts exactly. Been thinking the exact same thing for about 5 years.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

↑ ↑ ↑

I agree too for just about the same reasons. The red...with the black stripes and yellow accents....it just works.

The Flames alternate jerseys might look great with red pants. Anybody up for a 2-minute Photoshop?

That looks absolutely awful. First of its the first set of edge sock with the pre edge jerseys...which has nothing to do with why it looks bad. If you honestly think the current color set of the Flames would look better, especially with the set they have now, with red helmets, gloves, and pants compared to black, you are crazy. The only way that works is if black is eliminated completely or used very very little as an accent color or outline.

Well if you don't believe that it is gold just check out colorwerx

Colorwerx will probably show up and list 10 different teams from the pros to D1 to D3 to the Azerbaijani national badminton team that use the same exact Pantone color and call it "yellow", "gold", "mustard", etc.

Edit: I'll save him the time...

gold is Saints/49ers..etc. yellow is Steelers/Bruins/Packers...etc.

You're not really going to go there with me, are you???

Repeat after me:

COLOR DESCRIPTIONS ARE FOR MARKETING PURPOSES. THEY DON'T MEAN A FRACKING THING.

They can call it Gold or Yellow, or Mountain Sharkz Saffron...doesn't matter.

Why don't we call it this instead?:

PMS_1235_C_SRGB.png

Florida's Yellow = Boston's Gold, Buffalo's Gold, Nashville's Gold, St. Louis's Gold.

Same color.

First off on nashville, it's GOLD not yellow. Second, no gold helmets, the Kings proved that it wasn't good. Third, why would we make gold the away jersey? It looks great and is too dark for away jersey. Although i wouldn't mind seeing the old navy blue alternate return as a third jersey.

Yellow/Athletic gold should be worn in the same fashion as white if it's the dominant uniform colour.

There was nothing wrong with the LA Kings' home gold uniforms except for those gold pants worn during the 70's. The NBA Lakers have worn the same colour at home for decades and it looks great vs other teams in darker colours. The Canucks wore two shades of yellow at home. Their early 80's Flying V unis were a lighter shade and then their yellow Skate unis were a deeper yellow - Athletic gold. Nevertheless, it was unique and it stood out. Yellow vs red in home games when Calgary came to town was one of my favourite NHL uniform match-ups. Or watching highlights of the Kings playing a blue or a green team.

As Nashville, gold(keep Predators fans happy) should only be worn at home if the NHL does the right thing and makes the light uniforms the home set.

White is traditional and it looks great but it gets too boring and generic when there is no presence of at least a couple of teams to use yellow/Athletic gold in the same fashion.

Well if you don't believe that it is gold just check out colorwerx

Colorwerx will probably show up and list 10 different teams from the pros to D1 to D3 to the Azerbaijani national badminton team that use the same exact Pantone color and call it "yellow", "gold", "mustard", etc.

Edit: I'll save him the time...

gold is Saints/49ers..etc. yellow is Steelers/Bruins/Packers...etc.

You're not really going to go there with me, are you???

Repeat after me:

COLOR DESCRIPTIONS ARE FOR MARKETING PURPOSES. THEY DON'T MEAN A FRACKING THING.

They can call it Gold or Yellow, or Mountain Sharkz Saffron...doesn't matter.

Why don't we call it this instead?:PMS_1235_C_SRGB.png

Florida's Yellow = Boston's Gold, Buffalo's Gold, Nashville's Gold, St. Louis's Gold.

Same color.

I agree 110%.

The only rumor i know is that there's many rumors around Ottawa that the Heritage and Vintage jerseys will become their main set for the 2015-2016 season. Some said that the paper work was made to do, and they need to wait 2 seasons due to Reebok clause

Jets for their Heritage Classic? WHA Jets please.

That would be fantastic. Speaking of the Jets, I'd like to see them try a third jersey.

Looking forward to working my way through 20 pages of wish lists once actual 2015-16 NHL changes start to drop. :)

Looks like it. I'll try to make it a bit more interesting for you though. :P

Are the kings trying to get the purple or yellow throwbacks as full time alts?

Actually, I did hear a rumor that the Kings are currently considering the idea of making the new Gold/Yellow Throwback a full time third jersey starting next season. I don't know if that's for sure though.

The only rumor i know is that there's many rumors around Ottawa that the Heritage and Vintage jerseys will become their main set for the 2015-2016 season. Some said that the paper work was made to do, and they need to wait 2 seasons due to Reebok clause

That would make sense. I know there are people on here that will have a fit if the Senators actually go ahead with this but you know what, for the time being, the Heritage Jerseys will make far better primaries than their current home and road jerseys. What I really like about this if it is indeed true is that there will finally be a team in the NHL without a white jersey. I understand why White is far more preferred than Vintage White and I completely agree that most teams should have white jerseys but Ottawa's Heritage Jersey that they wore last season is a beauty. I think it is good to have a few teams that don't have a white road jersey but that's my opinion. Also, one more thing, to you guys who are arguing that Nashville uses Gold and not Yellow, well, a lot of times they are considered the same thing and I could be wrong on this but I remember hearing something that Americans call Yellow Gold and that Canadian folk call it Yellow.

That would make sense. I know there are people on here that will have a fit if the Senators actually go ahead with this but you know what, for the time being, the Heritage Jerseys will make far better primaries than their current home and road jerseys. What I really like about this if it is indeed true is that there will finally be a team in the NHL without a white jersey. I understand why White is far more preferred than Vintage White and I completely agree that most teams should have white jerseys but Ottawa's Heritage Jersey that they wore last season is a beauty. I think it is good to have a few teams that don't have a white road jersey but that's my opinion. Also, one more thing, to you guys who are arguing that Nashville uses Gold and not Yellow, well, a lot of times they are considered the same thing and I could be wrong on this but I remember hearing something that Americans call Yellow Gold and that Canadian folk call it Yellow.

If this really comes to fruition, they'll probably pull a Minnesota and dye the road jersey into clean white. So that they'll have a standard white road like every other team. Plus, it eliminates the helmet color issue.

But if for some reason, they just go with the 2 heritage jerseys as they are now, it would be very interesting to actually see a team with a cream colored helmet. I'm pretty sure there's a rule that would dissallow them to keep one helmet for all times, unlike the minor leagues.

If this really comes to fruition, they'll probably pull a Minnesota and dye the road jersey into clean white. So that they'll have a standard white road like every other team. Plus, it eliminates the helmet color issue.

But if for some reason, they just go with the 2 heritage jerseys as they are now, it would be very interesting to actually see a team with a cream colored helmet. I'm pretty sure there's a rule that would dissallow them to keep one helmet for all times, unlike the minor leagues.

White would be decent too but I think it would take away such a great opportunity and I find the cream really suits the jersey. For the Cream jersey, they need black helmets. A cream colored helmet would kind of ruin the entire look. I'm sure the NHL wouldn't have an issue with the Senators using black helmets for the cream jersey if it becomes the full time road jersey.

Archived