2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

The orca has something that no other Canucks logo has: a direct tie to the area (actually it has two, the orca/killer whale itself and the Haida design).

Also it's actually in the shape of a C, unlike the half-assed skate in rink C that's supposed to exist.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why exactly wouldn't the Johnny logo work as a primary? Only reason I can think of is that it's a bit reminiscent of Pittsburgh's logo, but truth be told they should go back to the 90's logo.

I think someone doesn't want their brand to be illustrated by something that's so old dating back to the pre-NHL era. There's a difference between going back to a traditional look, and going back to a look this Canucks team technically never had. It's a great throwback logo. But that's not the part of their history they're looking to represent themselves with. The Senators seem to be faced with a similar dilemma. They are very hesitant on using the =O= logo full time as well. Although they were part of the NHL, a 50-something year gap between both franchises doesn't help people connect with that look on a broader scale.

The problem with the full bodied Johnny Canuck logo is the same problem the Islanders Fisherman had... While it is a direct, literal representation of the teams namesake, it's awkwardly shaped, overtly detailed and reminiscent of a cartoon. As the Habs, Bruins and many others illustrate, an effective primary logo is defined by its simplicity. This is why I think, the updated stick n' rink would be a far better option. It's not perfect by any means but its been around long enough to have some meaning and would fit nicely with the current jersey template which in my opinion, is perfect.

how do canuck fans feel about the skate logo and Bure-era uniforms?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I became a Canucks fan in 1992 so the black/red/yellow colors and skate logo have a special place in my heart. I would love to see them come back full time but the royal/green has also grown on me so I am fine with either.

I do think it's time to drop the wordmark from the Jersey and get rid of the orca logo though no matter what

I love the stick in rink logo--it's cool, it has the C in it and it represents hockey.

No problem with it here.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The problem with the full bodied Johnny Canuck logo is the same problem the Islanders Fisherman had... While it is a direct, literal representation of the teams namesake, it's awkwardly shaped, overtly detailed and reminiscent of a cartoon. As the Habs, Bruins and many others illustrate, an effective primary logo is defined by its simplicity. This is why I think, the updated stick n' rink would be a far better option. It's not perfect by any means but its been around long enough to have some meaning and would fit nicely with the current jersey template which in my opinion, is perfect.

But the problem with the Stick-N-Rink is that it's just not strong enough to be it's own brand. It's possible management thinks it won't appeal as much as the Orca. Some people, especially the ones from that era, might love it, if they made the decision to go with that full-time. But there's also the possibility that it will become tiring to see the Stick-N-Rink all over the place all the time, if that's going to be the primary logo. Unlike the NBA, the NHL frowns a lot of more at logos that are bound to heavy criticism for some reason.

Which in turn explains why they made the decision to continue using the Orca to represent the team. The Orca does reek of the 90's in certain ways...whales do not hatch from giant blocks of ice shaped in letters of the alphabet. I'd say an updated version of either logo would give the most satisfaction to the most people, if done right. I don't think everyone can all be pleased. But if the general opinion is a positive response like the Bucks rebrand, that's the best one can do.

I think updating the Orca (with some kelly green on it) would be a decent course of action. It would take one of the team's previous identities and build upon it, much like the updated stick-in-rink has done as a secondary logo.

Making Johnny Canuck the primary would be OK, but the rendering would need to be simplified/made less cartoony, and it does bring up the whole issue of the team's identity crisis. After the Stick-in-Rink, the Skate, and both colorways of the Orca, going to another primary logo disconnected from the NHL team's past would hurt the team's identity. If the team had a good rending of Johnny Canuck, I might change my mind, but they don't have one yet.

Just come up with a new logo. I like the idea of a Johnny Canuck as a modern Indian Head but I haven't seen anything convincing. And while the haida orca is neat, it always makes me think of the ownership group that spawned it.

Midway.png

Can we at least agree that the colours and uniform striping should not be changed? Those colours are wholly unique to the NHL and good looking to put it mildly... It's tough coming up with solution because it's clear they have never had a logo that could be considered great. I think a brand new logo with a slight nod to the Stick n' Rink would be a good solution.

Can we at least agree that the colours and uniform striping should not be changed? Those colours are wholly unique to the NHL and good looking to put it mildly... It's tough coming up with solution because it's clear they have never had a logo that could be considered great. I think a brand new logo with a slight nod to the Stick n' Rink would be a good solution.

At least have an alternate with Germany colors.

Actually, just use throwbacks a few times every season (there are a ton to choose from) and they are good to go.

Kind of interesting video of the hand making of the Canadiens new sweaters. IDK if this is just for the team's jerseys or for all authentics, but kind of a neat and quick look at the process up close:

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Kind of interesting video of the hand making of the Canadiens new sweaters. IDK if this is just for the team's jerseys or for all authentics, but kind of a neat and quick look at the process up close:

I'm sure it's for the top-level made in Canada authentics as well as the on-ice jerseys since the two are made to pretty much the same specifications, but definitely not for the second-tier made in Indonesia authentics.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Senators' 25th anniversary logo is for... the season after next? There's a whole lotta "What the hell are you doing, Ottawa" from top to bottom here.

IMG_20150706_112013_zpsqtynwtji.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived