Las Vegas Aces- NHL Expansion

sparkychewbarky

...A lot of talk lately about an NHL franchise in Vegas, and, although the prospective new owner apparently likes "Black Knights" as a team name,

I think that "Aces", with an "air force" spin would be the way to go.

Nevada has a rich aviation history with several airfields situated in the state.

The largest (Nellis Air Base) is home to the USAF Thunderbirds Team.

The Winnipeg Jets gave a nod to the Canadian Air Force with their theme, so why not have Vegas do the same with the USAF.

(Imagine the promotional possibilities when these two teams hook up).

So I've done up a concept with a logo inspired by this famous American warplane insignia...

Lva-27.jpg

The barred or winged American star roundel has existed in various forms since 1947 (according to Wickipedia).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the primary, I took the USAF insignia, and replaced the roundel shape with a spade shape.

I then stylized the star to make it look as much like an "A". (similar to Wild League's Eagles' logo).

Here's the primary on a dark background...

Lva-32.jpg

..and on a lighter background, it changes slightly...

Lva-33.jpg

I'm a Las Vegan and I agree Aces is a good name ... if it is used in reference to the Air Force we are so proud of! But it would be HORRIBLE if used in reference to cards. Most people have no clue that 90% of Vegas has nothing to do with The Strip. A viable team in Vegas would need that local support.

EDIT: That is a good balance of Air Force and Spade (plus spades are used in lots of military insignia). Nice!

You never disappoint! The logo itself is phenomenal, but your way of presenting ideas is unrivaled. Very cool.

Very very good

That presentation is absolutely amazing!

Thanks guys.

The presentation part's gonna be fun.

I'm basically going to drop the logo on all things in "guys world"...hot women, hot cars, warplanes, leather jackets, motorcycles....bacon.

I'm going Spike TV on this.

That logo looks amazing! Hopefully you'll keep the black and white colors for the jerseys. It looks good on the Brooklyn Nets, t can look good on a hockey team too.

I'm thinking the same as you BigRed.

I'm a Las Vegan and I agree Aces is a good name ... if it is used in reference to the Air Force we are so proud of! But it would be HORRIBLE if used in reference to cards. Most people have no clue that 90% of Vegas has nothing to do with The Strip. A viable team in Vegas would need that local support.

It'll be ALL Air Force Whitefoot. I totally agree with you on steering clear of the gambling element.

Secondary Logo

The secondary is also part of the word-mark.

"Aces" is a good short word that works for the idea of just spelling it out as a logo.

The "spade" part of the primary can also stand alone, if needed.

"Las Vegas" is rendered in a stencil font. (Lots of stencilling on aircraft).

Lva-29.jpg

Lva-30.jpg

Lva-28.jpg

Lva-24.jpg

Lva-09.jpg

Lva-07.jpg

I think the identity needs much more color to work as a vegas team. Logo is outstanding though!

EDIT: I recommend a bright yellow because the color keeps the identity in its current great look, represents Vegas well, and would be unique in the NHL. (I was thinking a color similar to the Nike color Yellow Strike or the Las Vegas logo I made for my indoor soccer series in my signature)

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Nothing much to say other than these look sharp. I don't necessarily agree that you need a third color, I think black and white alone look great. If you did though the stroke around the secondary on the bike wouldn't be bad as a seldom used third color.

I always enjoy your concepts in terms of thoughtfulness and presentation, looking at your graphics as well as reading your explanations is just as enjoyable as seeing the concepts you come up with and make this section of the boards way more fun than just clicking and looking a pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Archived