Las Vegas Aces- NHL Expansion

sparkychewbarky

I recommend you take some time and reflect on your work before you post your next update. Spend more time with the fine detail before you think it's 'ready'. Also, everything I just wrote is a lie because this is amazing.

Thanks MrWonka.

You're right about the time thing. Over the course of a week, I'll have a fair bit of down time between jobs, and on breaks and lunch.

The radio in my work-truck sucks, and I'm trying to stay clear of the coffee shops, so I'll fill up pages of ideas in the ol' sketch pad.

I spend WAY WAY more time on paper than on the box. By the time I hit the keyboard later, I pretty much know exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the tip.may use that in upcoming racing sets

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Fighter Aces and bomber crews will sometimes put "score tallies" on their planes.

Usually each image represents an enemy plane downed, or a successful mission.

Lva-73.jpg

A lot of teams designate a "player of the game".

(Washington's POTG must wear an Abe Lincoln hat and beard).

The Aces could utilize that concept by putting a POTG symbol on a "scorecard" somewhere on the uni.

...Just a little something else to further the identity...

Love this. This is the kind of thing I wish teams would do more of. Little touches that indicate stories are being formed by each player's actions.

Perhaps here is where you could incorporate some of the other card suit symbols. If a player gets up into the 40s or 50s, that's going to be a lot of tallies. What if you do something to where once you get five or ten goals, it's represented by a single diamond. Fifty could be a heart, etc. Or maybe the symbols are based on stats. Goals, Assists, points, Goaltender wins would each be its own suit symbol, and you could use an outline for single digits and a filled-in tally for tens. Hat Tricks could have a special indicator. Assists and points are probably too much, but goals, for sure. So many fun things teams could do with this. How cool would it be to just look at a player's pants hem and be able to tell how many home, away, division goals, etc he has, just at a glance.

(Yes, I clearly come down on the Nothing-is-Sacred side of the uni debate.)

This entire thread is a thing of beauty. As for the tallies:

-One spade for every five goals

-One diamond for every five assists

-One club for every ten points

-One heart for every twenty hits

Goalies would get a suit for every... let's say five wins (they would alternate from spade-diamond-club-heart and continue that pattern).

Thanks for the input on the Tally patches darkp and Jimmy.

I like your ideas on using the different suits, to mean different things.

I guess a factor on how complicated the tallies could be would depend on some "logistics"...how much space it takes up...how large the symbols could be...etc.

Who knows: the players might hate the idea.

But before I move on, I put together a very simplified chart based on your suggestions.

I could see these being small embroidered patches that could be placed on the pants or on the sweater forearm.

Helmet stickers would be cool, but hockey helmets don't have the surface area of empty space that a football helmet has.

I also did black and white versions so the icons could be arranged in rows and columns to suggest a checkerboard. (See JR's post above)

Anyway, it's a small detail, but it would be kinda fun...

Lva-75.jpg

Lva-74.jpg

Some of these are subjective, so a coaching staff could dish out a whack of them or none on any given game.

A player could be awarded 4 or 5 of these if he had a spectacular hat-trick-strong-2-way-game kind of night.

Wow. Tying it in with the checkerboard idea is genius. But I have to agree with Wonka.... please spend more time on your concepts. I don't mean more time on individual concepts, just more overall time on concepts. There's not nearly enough content coming out to satisfy us. Do what you need to to step up your output. Thanks.

Wow. Tying it in with the checkerboard idea is genius. But I have to agree with Wonka.... please spend more time on your concepts. I don't mean more time on individual concepts, just more overall time on concepts. There's not nearly enough content coming out to satisfy us. Do what you need to to step up your output. Thanks.

Thank you

Of course the Aces will be very involved in the community.

They followed the "NBA Cares" lead by swapping out the "spade" in a heart-themed logo to identify their charitable ventures.

They created "The Hangar" merchandise outlet....

And created a WW2-era style emblem for their media department, using an "Air Americana" font...

Lva-77.jpg

Special Events will be many for the Las Vegas franchise, because after all, Vegas is the special event capital of the world.

Here's 3 logos to tie in with 3 such special evenings...

Lva-78.jpg

like the arena

I've got some ideas coming up on that later, biscuit.

Guest darkpiranha

Great stuff as always. I knew with your radio silence for the last couple of days that it means we were in store for some cool stuff.

In line with the heart version of the logo for charities, what if you made a club the logo for the Aces Fan Club. Get it? Club? Get it? See what I did there? "Join the club" "Suit up" (this stuff writes itself).

You definitely nail your stuff. The presentation in nearly perfect, and I love your innovative mind. Too bad you stick with hockey... I'd love to see you do this for a Basketball team.

Thanks Bball.

I've played, coached, and managed hockey. I'm a hockey dad. I love the sport.

Although I've played basketball, and it's a great game, I don't have a "feel" for it.

There's a lot about the sport I don't "get" (the refereeing)

I don't think I could do a hoops concept properly.

Great stuff as always. I knew with your radio silence for the last couple of days that it means we were in store for some cool stuff.

In line with the heart version of the logo for charities, what if you made a club the logo for the Aces Fan Club. Get it? Club? Get it? See what I did there? "Join the club" "Suit up" (this stuff writes itself).

Thanks darkp...

Kinda like this?...

Lva-85.jpg

Love your attention to detail Sparky. It is amazing how you don't just stop with the logo and uniforms, but put the entire team package together to make us feel as if your projects are coming to life. Amazing work yet again, and thanks for letting us be a part of it!

DLWatt.png

Love your attention to detail Sparky. It is amazing how you don't just stop with the logo and uniforms, but put the entire team package together to make us feel as if your projects are coming to life. Amazing work yet again, and thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Thanks DL.

The "Vintage Air-Force" theme offers up a whack of images, icons, phrases, etc. for marketing purposes.

Here's a couple of ticket-drive posters using the "Aces" twist.

I photoshopped up a couple of old-style aviation posters...

Lva-86.jpg

Lva-87.jpg

Archived