Question about Oregons uniforms

damnyoutuesday

I believe the introduction of the current set was the Alamo Bowl of December 2013. These new CFP unis from Rose Bowl and Natl Championship Game may be what we see them in for 2015.

I hope so. I hope they tone down the alternate colors, but still have a lot of alternate uniforms... if that makes sense.

I think the wings helmet is the best in college football... and this is coming from someone who thinks Ohio State and Alabama have 2 of the best helmets in history. I hope they have white, yellow and green jerseys, but almost have an alternating color for every jersey. So on the white jersey, they have yellow numerals and green wings, green wings and green numbers, green numerals and yellow wings, and yellow wings and numerals. I think they have a fantastic set, it just needs to be pulled in a little. I think they can have a ton of alternates, but can still stick to school colors.

^^

I think the Rose Bowl "O" helmet is top 5 in college football. I wish they'd go with that full time but I suspect the wings are more popular.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^^

I think the Rose Bowl "O" helmet is top 5 in college football. I wish they'd go with that full time but I suspect the wings are more popular.

The O helmet was very nice. The satin finish with that apple green was on of the best helmets all year.

But to me, it wasn't Oregon. The Ducks of 2000's are fast, cunning, quick, elusive, revolutionary. Their uniforms are avant-garde. Nothing epitomizes that more than those wing helmets. I can never figure out the proper way to describe the wing helmets... but they just look fast. You put the helmet on a set, or a desk, or the ground, standing still... but it still looks like its moving, cutting down the field, making people snap their heads around. To me, that's Oregon. They may be 0-2 in National Title games the last few years, but this is the most successful run in their schools history. This is their "Glory Era."

Their identity is that wing helmet. A revolutionary concept on a revolutionary team. Never has a uniform captured the true identity of a team and their style of play than the wing helmets and wing jerseys.

I kinda think of the "O" as their identity.

One day they have basic Paker-esque uniforms. The next day they have a 50-foot tall Joey Harrington for Heisman banner (with Nike swoosh, I think) in Times square. The uniforms are modern and the program is just starting to get better. And they have this new sparkly green helmet with a big yellow "O" on it.

It evolved over time but I think of that being about when it all started.

You mention the Glory Era including when they went to the National Title Game twice. But the first one was pre-wings. So I'd consider the "O" a huge part of what they are now...and a huge part of the "avant-garde" uniforms (which are hit or miss but I digress).

But I admit, I just don't like the wings. I think the "O" could have been "modern iconic" if they'd stuck with it while messing with their jerseys. To me, the wings, which tend to be chrome or see-through rarely (and I hate this term) "pop" very well off of the helmet. Taking a look at the Oregon page at mghelmets.com, man of these are dull (white, silver, chrome, gray) wings on a dull helmet. Another is clear wings (or maybe slightly lighter wings) on a green helmet. There is a bit of "pop" to the chrome on yellow and yellow on grey, but I really don't think those helmets have the "presence" of most of the "O" helmets.

But I am biased. I don't even like how the wings look (compared to the Eagles and some other winged helmets) They look like a series of butter knives. I love the "O".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Change the uniform weekly if they insist, but at least use your school colors.

RBG would have looked perfect with yellow pants. Love the Duck on the shoulder sleeves.

They had no Oregon identity last night in the NCG by wearing white and silver

I'd say because of Oregon and their radical uni designs, more people are talking about Uniforms. I've seen/ read many different sports personalities talking about what teams wear (in addition to regular sports stories.) I think that's pretty cool for people like members of this board, UniWatch, etc.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I think they really mucked up their identity this year by wearing 2 different jersey templates and wearing the O helmet in the RB then going back to the winged helmet design for the NCG. What's their design language going forward?

Same as it ever was. We don't have an identity, therefore everything is an identity, and nothing says Nike, I mean Oregon, more than changing everything constantly.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think they really mucked up their identity this year by wearing 2 different jersey templates and wearing the O helmet in the RB then going back to the winged helmet design for the NCG. What's their design language going forward?

Same as it ever was. We don't have an identity, therefore everything is an identity, and nothing says Nike, I mean Oregon, more than changing everything constantly.

This season was a change for them though. Unless they were previewing next season's design, they would have a consistent design throughout the season and change colors/combos. Wearing new & old designs (excluding throwback) in the same season interchangeably is not consistent with nike's strategy to constantly promote the newest design/campaign and move on from the old one.

This season was a change for them though. Unless they were previewing next season's design, they would have a consistent design throughout the season and change colors/combos. Wearing new & old designs (excluding throwback) in the same season interchangeably is not consistent with nike's strategy to constantly promote the newest design/campaign and move on from the old one.

I know what you were meant. But maybe they're taking the "we'll wear any random stuff!" to extremes. I mean, if the brand is so strong that they can wear literally any color combination and you'll still know it's Oregon because of the winged helmets or whatnot, maybe it's strong enough that they can wear anything outlandish in any color combo and you'd still know it was Oregon? Or maybe they plan on focusing on a few colors (green and yellow) and making multiple jerseys in each color across vastly different templates?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I kinda think of the "O" as their identity.

One day they have basic Paker-esque uniforms. The next day they have a 50-foot tall Joey Harrington for Heisman banner (with Nike swoosh, I think) in Times square. The uniforms are modern and the program is just starting to get better. And they have this new sparkly green helmet with a big yellow "O" on it.

It evolved over time but I think of that being about when it all started.

You mention the Glory Era including when they went to the National Title Game twice. But the first one was pre-wings. So I'd consider the "O" a huge part of what they are now...and a huge part of the "avant-garde" uniforms (which are hit or miss but I digress).

But I admit, I just don't like the wings. I think the "O" could have been "modern iconic" if they'd stuck with it while messing with their jerseys. To me, the wings, which tend to be chrome or see-through rarely (and I hate this term) "pop" very well off of the helmet. Taking a look at the Oregon page at mghelmets.com, man of these are dull (white, silver, chrome, gray) wings on a dull helmet. Another is clear wings (or maybe slightly lighter wings) on a green helmet. There is a bit of "pop" to the chrome on yellow and yellow on grey, but I really don't think those helmets have the "presence" of most of the "O" helmets.

But I am biased. I don't even like how the wings look (compared to the Eagles and some other winged helmets) They look like a series of butter knives. I love the "O".

I've got to agree pretty much 100%. I have never really been a fan of the helmet wings either. The "butter knives" analogy is pretty spot on if you ask me. More often than not, the wing helmet ends up taking something away from the uniforms. The O is iconic. It has been the only constant since Oregon began their rise to national prominence which has also been the rise of their ever evolving uniforms. I would have definitely preferred that the O on the helmet was never replaced by the robot wings. Hopefully next season, Oregon upgrades all of their uniforms to the newest template and bases the look whole look on the Rose Bowl uniforms. I don't care how many combos they use as long as they look good and wear the big O on the helmets.

I think the problem Oregon had this year was that they didn't just go fully in on the new Mach Speed template. Rumors were either they weren't entirely sold on the redesign/look or they hadn't planned on going to the Mach Speed template full-time until next year (due to contract and money constraints.) The previous set had only been introduced full-time for the 2011 season and they typically wear a set for 3 seasons so them changing over to the Mach Speed next season would fit into their normal timeline.

I think the problem Oregon had this year was that they didn't just go fully in on the new Mach Speed template. Rumors were either they weren't entirely sold on the redesign/look or they hadn't planned on going to the Mach Speed template full-time until next year (due to contract and money constraints.) The previous set had only been introduced full-time for the 2011 season and they typically wear a set for 3 seasons so them changing over to the Mach Speed next season would fit into their normal timeline.

Does the football team actually have a uniform budget with nike? I know all the other schools do but I thought nike was essentially supplying the unis gratis in exchange for handing over complete control. You mach speed statement raises an interesting question as to why nike would unveil a new design with the understanding that the client either wasn't fully in support of it or didn't have the funds available to make a full scale implementation.

Does the football team actually have a uniform budget with nike? I know all the other schools do but I thought nike was essentially supplying the unis gratis in exchange for handing over complete control. You mach speed statement raises an interesting question as to why nike would unveil a new design with the understanding that the client either wasn't fully in support of it or didn't have the funds available to make a full scale implementation.

Budget and contract restraints is BS. They may not have as big a stated contract value as other schools, but what happens when they go over? Phil Knight cuts a cheque to his own company for more gear. It's the fox guarding the henhouse scenario.

Their identity is that wing helmet. A revolutionary concept on a revolutionary team. Never has a uniform captured the true identity of a team and their style of play than the wing helmets and wing jerseys.

They gussied up something teams have been doing since the 40s or 50s, depending on how you want to count. Not exactly "revolutionary".

They gussied up something teams have been doing since the 40s or 50s, depending on how you want to count. Not exactly "revolutionary".

The only helmet that was ever even close was the Eagles. However, Philly had much smaller and detailed wings. It was always an awesome helmet, but not awe inspiring... if that makes sense. They looked cool... they looked cute.

The Oregon wings are minimalist. They are big. They invoke the wings on Thor's helmet. They are aggressive. When you pair that with wing pattern on the shoulders, along with the original Bellotti Bold font, and the introduction of gray and volt... it was revolutionary.

The only helmet that was ever even close was the Eagles. However, Philly had much smaller and detailed wings. It was always an awesome helmet, but not awe inspiring... if that makes sense. They looked cool... they looked cute.

The Oregon wings are minimalist. They are big. They invoke the wings on Thor's helmet. They are aggressive. When you pair that with wing pattern on the shoulders, along with the original Bellotti Bold font, and the introduction of gray and volt... it was revolutionary.

No way. As others have said these design elements existed before and in some cases 5 decades before. The ducks weren't even the 1st team to put wings on their shoulders as I know at least the Iowa Barnstormers had that look in the 90's. All that was done was repackaging existing elements to fit the oregon design language. There's nothing wrong with what they did but it's not an original idea, just marketed as such.

No way. As others have said these design elements existed before and in some cases 5 decades before. The ducks weren't even the 1st team to put wings on their shoulders as I know at least the Iowa Barnstormers had that look in the 90's. All that was done was repackaging existing elements to fit the oregon design language. There's nothing wrong with what they did but it's not an original idea, just marketed as such.

That's all fine and well... but this look, these style elements coming together have made it THEIR identity. No one thinks of the Iowa Barnstorms where you see wing shoulder pads... or when you see a wing helmet. You think the Oregon Ducks.

Archived