College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montana State's Twitter account (@msubobcats) will be releasing a new photo each day of the new uniforms for the next 27 days as there are 27 different combinations. Here is the first:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207328962251053&l=4abad09fac

27 different uni combos for Montana State.

Montana State.

Two words: enough already.

Just what are you implying exactly? Are you saying that because they are Montana State that they should't have so many combinations? Granted sometimes schools get out of hand, but with MSU we are talking about two or three helmets, three jerseys, and three pants. That's rather tame in comparison to other schools. I mean Kentucky, Illinois, Northwestern, and Washington pretty much have the same number of combos. So what are you trying to say exactly?

I thought "enough already" would be fairly self explanatory, but apparently it wasn't.

My point was that the fact that a tiny and almost certainly underfunded school like Montana State (against whom I harbor no ill will, btw) feels the need roll out that many different uni's is proof that the CFB uniform arms race is now officially out of hand.

FYI: All D1 HBCU football schools (SWAC and MEAC) are outfitted by Russell Athletic. There's a deal out there somewhere, but that's what I know.

The MEAC's conference wide contract with Russell expires after this school year. I pray that conference commissioner, Dennis Thomas doesn't renew it.

In the case of individual deals, Russell doesn't make uniforms for certain sports. Thus, Under Armour swoops in and outfits the rest. This is convenient and a tactic to guarantee an edge once the Russell contract ends.

Hampton, Morgan State, Coppin State, and UMES all have been in contacts with UA for the past year or so.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

was just joking really

Maybe, but it was 100% accurate. A tiny school in a second-tier league is doing this nonsense. Some people can excuse the "we need 5 helmets and 45 combos to compete with Oregon in recruiting" crap from even a MAC school. But these are 1 or 0 star recruits who are choosing this school over Billings Technical Institute who probably care more about the pharmacist program the schools offer than even how competitive they are in football, let alone uniforms. There are plenty better things the school could spend money on than football uniforms to be seen by 17,000 people a dozen times a year.

The fact that any school or team does it makes me fear for the future of sports. I would actually rather see a Montana State do this than a Penn State or Alabama.

There are some at the D2 level too. Probably one of the most famous ones as well in Tuskegee. The main two conferences for HBCUs in D2 are the CIAA and the SIAC. The CIAA welcomed their first non-HBCU in 2008 when Chowan State joined and the SIAC was exclusively HBCU until Spring Hill College, a private Catholic school in Mobile, joined in 2014.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Maybe, but it was 100% accurate. A tiny school in a second-tier league is doing this nonsense. Some people can excuse the "we need 5 helmets and 45 combos to compete with Oregon in recruiting" crap from even a MAC school. But these are 1 or 0 star recruits who are choosing this school over Billings Technical Institute who probably care more about the pharmacist program the schools offer than even how competitive they are in football, let alone uniforms. There are plenty better things the school could spend money on than football uniforms to be seen by 17,000 people a dozen times a year.

LOL you know nothing about FCS programs and you spew this? Just LOL.

I was facetious with "Billings Technical Institute," but please tell me what I said that was incorrect. I know that some kids go to such schools because they love football and a desperately hanging on to play four more years, but I'd imagine most of the kids which play FCS are far more concerned about the education they'll get than how many helmets the team wears.

My point was more that Illinois can be a bad football program and make $45 million a year. Montana State could be great in FCS and still either lose money or profit very little. It's bad that *any* school wears multiple helmets and jerseys, but it's stupid when a school which doesn't profit off football does it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Sorry can someone clarify what HBCU is? Something with FCS football teams?

Historically black college or university. All of them that I know of are FCS.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historically_black_colleges_and_universities

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I was facetious with "Billings Technical Institute," but please tell me what I said that was incorrect. I know that some kids go to such schools because they love football and a desperately hanging on to play four more years, but I'd imagine most of the kids which play FCS are far more concerned about the education they'll get than how many helmets the team wears.

My point was more that Illinois can be a bad football program and make $45 million a year. Montana State could be great in FCS and still either lose money or profit very little. It's bad that *any* school wears multiple helmets and jerseys, but it's stupid when a school which doesn't profit off football does it.

Montana and Montana State profit more in football than probably 30% of the FBS. Montana alone averages more in attendance per game than the entire MAC. The season ticket waiting list is 20 years. Yes I understand they are both the only major universities in the state but to say they are less than any other program in D1 is asinine.

Not trying to pick a fight I just know college football like the back of my hand. The Grizzlies have 2-4 players either drafted or signed every year. What other FCS program can say that?

DWD_Sig_zpsbbf8ibvd.png

Montana and Montana State profit more in football than probably 30% of the FBS. Montana alone averages more in attendance per game than the entire MAC. The season ticket waiting list is 20 years. Yes I understand they are both the only major universities in the state but to say they are less than any other program in D1 is asinine.

Not trying to pick a fight I just know college football like the back of my hand. The Grizzlies have 2-4 players either drafted or signed every year. What other FCS program can say that?

I was going to say something similar to this, in that the higher tier FCS programs DEFINITELY do better than the lower fith or so of FBS programs. Montana is definitely one of those, probably one of the most well known, moneymaking FCS programs. And while Montana State isn't on par with them in every way, I think 3 helmets 3 jerseys and 3 pants isn't as ludicrous as you are making it out to be

I didn't realize that the MAC was so poor in terms of attendance. Still, they have a pretty decent contract with ESPN. I don't know how the individual teams are managed, but I can almost guarantee the MAC school gets more TV/conference money than Montana or Montana State. If MAC schools are making less money than them, they're doing something seriously wrong. Still, it could be argued (not by me) that those schools are trotting out different helmets in an effort to bring in the recruits, win big, and eventually establish a national program which could compete for a national championship, as Boise State has done. That, while not realistic, is a ceiling the Montanas don't have.

But either way, it's not like the Montana schools are printing money. And nobody is going there because of their helmet choices. So they can drop an additional $100,000 on a few more sets of helmets if they'd like, but it doesn't make it any less wasteful.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The MAC effectively traded at-game attendance for a TV deal. Putting games on Thursdays was guaranteed to quell attendance (especially among students), but it got them a much bigger TV deal than if they were competing with every other big conference for Saturday TV slots.

Archived