College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

I posted this helmet a while back when a recruit was posing with it. This is a better angle. Apparently, it will be a part of the rotation this year. It looks like they've just slapped the chrome facemask, helmet stripe, and oversized Pete logo onto their white shell.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-03-at-8.02.48-AM-810

Is there something preventing OSU from flipping Pete so that he faces forward?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be happy when the chrome trend is dead.

Add to that the "giant mascot" trend for me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'll be happy when the chrome trend is dead.

It's only a matter of time. I do like some chrome lids when they are done right.

Trends in college football always remind me of those bell curves from business classes in college -- like the innovation adoption curve. Each school would fall under a particular category.

adoptioncurve1.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I posted this helmet a while back when a recruit was posing with it. This is a better angle. Apparently, it will be a part of the rotation this year. It looks like they've just slapped the chrome facemask, helmet stripe, and oversized Pete logo onto their white shell.

I've been asking the same thing for years.

this may sound crazy, but some schools only went as far as trademarking/copyrighting 1 view of their logo, so they are either:

A- protecting their brand by not creating a "copyable" image

or

B- someone else noticed they dont own the flipped view, so the second party now owns it, and the school can't use it without paying the 2nd party..

i'm not saying this is the case for OK State, but it actually is the case for another school i know of.. the team went to "oversized decal" on the right side of the helmet and numbers on the left, and the AD said that he liked that because they only owned the rights to the "right-facing" image of their logo, so creating the "left-facing" version could present an issue (not sure if it's issue A or B above, but it's a proprietary mark, so i'm not sure why they don't own all views, etc, but judging solely on what i was told by their AD, i have to assume this is the case).. not sure how common/uncommon a situation like that is, but with all the versions of "pistol pete" out there, i wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it...

I think it's as simple as the hat is so much larger on the one end that it would overlap the helmet stripe if it were flipped. Not enough room on the helmet (if they want it that big) to have it flipped, right now the hat fits the helmet shape perfectly.

this may sound crazy, but some schools only went as far as trademarking/copyrighting 1 view of their logo, so they are either:

A- protecting their brand by not creating a "copyable" image

or

B- someone else noticed they dont own the flipped view, so the second party now owns it, and the school can't use it without paying the 2nd party..

i'm not saying this is the case for OK State, but it actually is the case for another school i know of.. the team went to "oversized decal" on the right side of the helmet and numbers on the left, and the AD said that he liked that because they only owned the rights to the "right-facing" image of their logo, so creating the "left-facing" version could present an issue (not sure if it's issue A or B above, but it's a proprietary mark, so i'm not sure why they don't own all views, etc, but judging solely on what i was told by their AD, i have to assume this is the case).. not sure how common/uncommon a situation like that is, but with all the versions of "pistol pete" out there, i wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it...

Yeah, good post. They'd have to create a second logo to flip the 'OSU' on Pete's bandana. It seems like a simple fix to me but it would leave them with two variations of what is essentially the same logo. It sounds like more a trademark/branding issue than a simple flip the logo issue. And I thought I had read about this before and that it ultimately boiled down to them wanting more consistency with their branding.

FWIW, they have flipped the logos featuring Pete without bandanas to face the front on the helmets.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

http://marylandpride.com/news/armours-newest-armourgrid-technology/

New uniform "technology" for Under Armour. Five teams will wear it this season. It's only been tested by Maryland. UA claims the players will be "virtually ungrabbable"

I don't know why that's being claimed today. Texas Tech wore the new template last year. As did Notre Dame with their alternates. As did Utah. Three of the 5 teams they showcased today have worn the new template. Notre Dame and Auburn just transitioned to the new template completely.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Cincinnati has just released their under armour unis. '

CLgMOKiWoAAGL2w.jpg

Numbers need an outline

im not picking on you here, but let me say why they don't need an outline and why this is a very good uni from UA

first, nothing in the identity or other elements in the uniform has outlines, these are all solid 1 color shapes. the numbers are fairly unique, strong in their form, and of course the uniforms use great contrasting colors - there is no need for outlines.

the teeth pattern is subtle enough; i dont think it's something that will last many years but it is well done enough and is the one thing that carries the design and seperates it from other uniforms. the stripes themeselves are not terrible original, theres no stupid, flashy trends being used like chrome helmets (at least not yet) and there's nothing here that is really shocking visually. the stripe pattern is done in such a way to be cool, fresh, unique, and likable enough.

really, it's a "workhorse" sort of design. not Penn St minimal, but it's far from a trend driven design, and it's not built on something completely stupid like the bearcat is "hunting from the shadows". very solid uniform, i give it an A

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived