College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

I think matte helmets are so overused that the "proper" use has sort of been lost.. Matte helmets are great for allowing metallic, chrome, or brightly colored decals to (forgive me for using this term) "pop" on the helmet, where a glossy finish would reflect light similarly to the decal and the decal would lose some of its "effect".. I don't think matte decals is a terrible idea, but I think matte on matte is overkill, when regular gloss on regular gloss pretty much accomplishes the same goal.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. The use of normal decals on a matte finish looks awful to me. Especially on the oddly shaped decals, like this MTSU helmet. The negative space, so to speak, really ruins the look. It looks tacky and quickly done.

5411321020693266_55ec954b9aecd06814552ea

A nicer example is this Iowa State lid. The negative space isn't nearly as bad, but it still drives me nuts.

iowa-state-matte-helmet.jpg?itok=Ji5hyQw

I know I'm talking about the excess piece of the decal, and not the decal itself, but this is why I'm not a huge fan of matte helmets in the first place. Of course many teams have done it well, and these are just the extreme examples, but they still do the job.

I think you just agreed with me... I was stating that normal decals don't look good on matte helmets in general.. Matte is fine if you have special metallic or chrome decals and you really want them to "pop", but regular decals on matte helmets is just overkill.. I also don't like when teams have a matte helmet that's the same color as their jersey, resulting in 2 very different finishes, and looking almost like different colors

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wondering if they make matte helmet decals because I've found that the glossy decals almost look out of place on a matte helmet.

Wouldn't matte decals just be stickers? Take away the glossy vinyl, and all you have is adhesive paper...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wonder if they just happened to have a full set of these left in the back room? I know many times they give them to players and sell the rest, but it's possible. That way they don't have to worry about placing another order with adidas if they are indeed leaving. Just wondering.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

That might be more of Wisconsin deciding there was no advantage to tech fit. Of course if they were shown those cut up stripes they may have balked at it

Not every Techfit school has cut up stripes or numbers. I suspect that it's more an issue of Paul Chryst (new Head Coach, former Offensive Coordinator, and second-generation Wisconsin football alum) wanting to bring back the TV numbers. For comparison's sake, this is last year's model:joel-stave-melvin-gordon-ncaa-football-m

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Glow in the Dark, what will Nike think of next :lol:

CMEmn19UEAAZwmp.jpg

And when exactly are they going to be playing a game in the dark so you can see this effect? Can't believe how many people believe they'd actually wear uniforms that glow-in-the-dark. It's a promotional thing they're doing for their poster and on department-wide social media accounts. If people would look at the jerseys they were wearing today at their media day, they'd see they're exactly the same jerseys from the past season.

Also, while we are discussing Oregon, I am beginning to think they will not be updating all of their jerseys to the Mach speed. Their yellow jersey from the past few seasons is on sale online and in stores with the new numbers for this season, and is being billed as one of the "2015 jerseys". As a duck fan, this would be a little disappointing, but could also mean there are a couple new jerseys coming mid season. And since its Oregon, you never really can be too sure, as Nike almost surely has something up its sleeve for them.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On the topic of Oregon. I think they'll have the yellow jersey they've been wearing the past few years and the rest will be the new mac speed. A player posted on this Twitter that they get all the seasons jerseys at the beginning of the year and showed a pic of the same yellow we're used to.

CMEmn19UEAAZwmp.jpg

And when exactly are they going to be playing a game in the dark so you can see this effect? Can't believe how many people believe they'd actually wear uniforms that glow-in-the-dark. It's a promotional thing they're doing for their poster and on department-wide social media accounts. If people would look at the jerseys they were wearing today at their media day, they'd see they're exactly the same jerseys from the past season.
It's just the same 3M reflective material Nike has been using for years. The only time the "glow in the dark" effect will be visible in games is in pictures when photographers use flashes.

CMEmn19UEAAZwmp.jpg

It's just the same 3M reflective material Nike has been using for years. The only time the "glow in the dark" effect will be visible in games is in pictures when photographers use flashes.

There is a difference between reflective and glow. This is not light reflecting off the material. This has color in it. It's clearly a photoshop done to promote the 'glow in the dark' poster. It looks awesome but in no way will this happen on a football field. Come on guys we're smarter than that...

Perhaps another sign that the Wisconsin-Adidas relationship is ending: Wisconsin appears to have abandoned the Techfit template . . .

55c7bdd7a48ff.image.jpg?resize=620%2C450

. . . which also allows for the return of the TV numbers to the sleeves:

55c7bdd1924af.image.jpg?resize=620%2C588

Rumor has it their move to UA is pretty much a done deal. They supposedly have met with Nike as well. I wish they would go with Nike but I'm guessing the $$$ offered by UA was significantly more. Either way I'll be happy getting rid of Adidas.

In regards to Oregon, it certainly looks more of a marketing scheme than anything. BUT, if it isn't and there's some sort of reflective material, I'd have to guess it would be more similar to the Draft Caps used last year, where the artwork would be much more visible when a flash hits it.

CMFpJkvUYAAbBN8.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Perhaps another sign that the Wisconsin-Adidas relationship is ending: Wisconsin appears to have abandoned the Techfit template . . .

55c7bdd7a48ff.image.jpg?resize=620%2C450

. . . which also allows for the return of the TV numbers to the sleeves:

55c7bdd1924af.image.jpg?resize=620%2C588

Rumor has it their move to UA is pretty much a done deal. They supposedly have met with Nike as well. I wish they would go with Nike but I'm guessing the $$$ offered by UA was significantly more. Either way I'll be happy getting rid of Adidas.

Adidas does not require schools to use TechFit uniforms, other than for alternates.

Wisconsin is bound by policy to take the highest bid, it's some sort of state guideline from what I was told recently.

Archived