College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

USC-Football.jpg

6895350.jpg

I know. How can you say that isn't similar? Everyone is saying it isn't even close.

They're similar, for sure. But Iowa State is just using a traditional football uniform template and happens to have the same colors as USC, which is bound to happen even within the Power 5, which still accounts for a lot of schools. Besides, if they took all the striping off their uniforms, people would accuse them of yanking from Minnesota.

Uh no. Nearly all of the isu elements are ripped off from the usc uniform with the exception of the shoulder stripe pattern has a double yellow as opposed to the traditional crescent. Other than iowa and duke's colts knockoffs from 2 seasons ago you can't get much closer to a direct copy than this.

There's an easy fix for these. Bring back the yellow lids. That way no one will be confused.
I was ready to argue that USC had nothing to do with why the uniforms look like this...the pants stripe matches the very traditional shoulder stripe (OMG...ISU is robbing all LA schools!)

But two things give me pause: the gray facemask and the sleeve numbers. The facemask, I suppose, could be because their uniforms are basic and gray is the trend there. The sleeve numbers, I don't know, but everyone seems to have 'em on the shoulders now.

I'd like to see them make the mask red (or whatever the color is) and maybe add the double-stripe to the helmet (like Wisconsin's). Those tweaks, along with the large wordmark ought to set them apart enough.

That said, this Iowa State uniform is neck-and-neck with Ohio U for my favorite in college football. Points to ISU for not wearing lame trendy alts. Points taken for the trendy "tough" gray mask.

Of course, I've left one huge factor out that changes everything. I THINK (but correct me if I am wrong) that they have darkened their red. Below is an older uniform. If they did that, then I have a bit of an issue with it...I don't like to see schools change their colors for their uniforms. I did not like when they added blue and I don't like them darkening up the red (in principle; the uniform is still sexy). And if I am right and they did darken the red, then 1) points to Ohio U for not changing their colors and 2) it's hard to argue with the accusations of copying USC.

iowast-07-whitered-wd-675x380.jpg

Red and yellow can stand well on their own. The Flames looked great in the 80s. It works for the Chiefs (neck down). They can have the same uniform with red rather than maroon and look good.

We are still talking about just the home red with yellow pants. They don't tend to wear the yellow pants as often with the white jerseys. They have a yellow alternate jersey. USC has a secondary chrome lid, ISU had a matte secondary lid option. Aside from the similarities in the main home uniform, they aren't that similar outside of color scheme! Is only one team allowed to use northwestern stripes? Is only one team allowed to use UCLA stripes? The answer is no, except it seems some feel every school should have a different unique color scheme that no one else uses and jersey designs that are in no way similar to anyone else's in the country.

It's unreasonable to think that all D1 schools are going to have distinct colors. It's perfectly reasonable for schools that share the same palette use uniform designs to make themselves look distinctively separate from the other schools. It's lazy design and bush league to copy the uniforms (or copy with minor tweaks) of successful programs and present them as your own look.

Iowa State is using the same template as these old Duke uniforms from 2013 ..move along , no copying just similar colors in a different template

duke-football.jpg

Swapping a usc crescent shoulder for a colts/lsu/ucla shoulder insert does not absolve them from blatantly copying the trojans home uniform. It only reduces the accuracy down from 100% to being a 95% reproduction.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me sum all this up: some idiots are bitching because not every school has a unique color combination and some smarter people are telling them to STFU.

Did I get it right?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Regardless, the number of quote blocks in a single post should never get that high.

But it makes such a lovely pyramid in the margins.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Addressing the whole issue concerning Iowa State ripping USC or Duke:

When I look at a uniform, I look at the colors first, striping second. I look at the coordination of the colors within the uniform elements (helmet, shirt, pants, shoes/socks). I think the deciding factor is if you were watching the game from the stands. If Iowa State played Duke... you wouldn't mistake what team is what just because they have the same stripe patterns. If you were to watch Iowa State play USC... you would really have to look to see what team is what.

When I look at Iowa State, they pretty much jacked EVERYTHING from USC... the colors, the stripes, all the way down to the gray face mask. I mean, ISU could have at least put the double stripe on their helmet... so at least they could hang their hat on being the team with double stripes on all 3 parts of the uniform.

Are we to assume that Adidas schools are going to adopt the Techfit 3.0 template ("Primeknit") that was unveiled at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl?

They appear to have a more traditional sleeve cut:

10885503_10155024312145249_7330614487604

10454480_10155024309450249_4422395766693

One advantage of being at work is I can't see these horrible things. Adidas would move miles ahead by simply removing the tire treads. They don't add anything other than creating a standard uniform addition across their teams. They have so many other templates that look better, but it seems they avoid letting their teams use them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Now, if they (adidas) could have lowered the collar seem on this template down to where the "EAST" patch is placed, UCLA could have half decent "UCLA" stripes.

Huh.

Right, they could have lowered the seam to be in line with the bottom of the collar, how nearly every football jersey over the last 40 years was before manufacturers started making the templates about themselves. But that answers why they didn't do that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It would be nice to see adidas attempt to redo their entire football template. Seems like all striping and numbering tends to get awkwardly distorted on their gear, which is imo more of an offense than the tire treads.

Midway.png

Guess these are Akron's new helmets for 2015:

B9Ayh_DIQAEDHN6.jpg

White and matte navy options. I believe the white has a hopping kangaroo on both sides. Navy has gold numbers on one side and giant forward-facing kangaroo on the other.

Guess these are Akron's new helmets for 2015:

B9Ayh_DIQAEDHN6.jpg

White and matte navy options. I believe the white has a hopping kangaroo on both sides. Navy has gold numbers on one side and giant forward-facing kangaroo on the other.

They're just prototypes at this point.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived