College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

COzpyC8VEAABAyV.jpg

They need to go ahead and make these black to minimize the frogskin, take that helmet stripe off and add trim around the helmet letters so they don't disappear into the rest of the helmet.

Nearly. Needs white TV numbers, and if you disagree, then the road set needs to have black TV numbers for cohesiveness.

I'd go as far as to say that the OSU championship/playoff uniform IS perfect

I'd prefer to see if Nike can emulate the old 5 or 6 inch numbers on the shoulders. If they can't just make the shoulder numbers white. I know some people say the white jerseys should have black numbers, but I feel the alternate aways look better with red shoulder numbers. Matching for matching sake when it would be a downgrade should be avoided. I know most will say that they wore black numbers in 1968, but I've seen photos from that year with both styles worn.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I wanted to comment on 2 games, for opposite reasons.

Ohio State -vs- Hawaii

I think the individual uniforms looked great. The black TV numbers on the OSU uniforms looked great - I wish they would carry this over to the white uniforms. Hawaii's Rainbow Warrior uniforms also looked fantastic. However, I don't think the game looked good on TV at all. The red and gray did not compliment the green and white well at all.

Michigan State -vs- Oregon

I think the game looked absolutely fantastic on TV. The dark green with hints of dark copper/gold against the bright white and silver looked great. Everything played well together. However, that being said, I think the individual uniforms looked bad. I don't like that Oregon isn't wearing any green or yellow. I don't like the black logos. I don't like words on pants, any less "FIGHTING DUCKS" which isn't even their nick name. They are the Ducks. As for Michigan State, I don't like the oversized logo on the helmet, nor do I like "MSU" or any non-logo initials (ND) on sleeves. A monogram looks great and a combined logo looks great... but printing the schools initials is terrible. I also didn't like the additional of black. I think adding gold/copper is 1 thing, but adding black as well is another thing.

The thing with Oregon and "Fighting Ducks" is that there is some history with that nickname. They were known by that nickname for a bit and it's obvious that Oregon and Nike wanted to pay homage to that nickname when they brought it back in 2011.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2013/03/21/the-story-behind-oregons-fighting-ducks/26925/

Nearly. Needs white TV numbers, and if you disagree, then the road set needs to have black TV numbers for cohesiveness.

Black numbers on red are no good without any sort of outline. Not enough contrast.

Which would be a problem if the large front and back numbers were black on red. But the TV numbers? Which a bunch of teams don't even have at all? Hard for me to care about how visible they are... IMO TV numbers are basically decoration anyway.

Black numbers on red are no good without any sort of outline. Not enough contrast.

Which would be a problem if the large front and back numbers were black on red. But the TV numbers? Which a bunch of teams don't even have at all? Hard for me to care about how visible they are... IMO TV numbers are basically decoration anyway.

This and it's a fun quirk to honor one of the great teams of Ohio State's past. It's different, yet still traditional.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did North Carolina switch to field turf?

Im gonna say that it looks like grass to me, but nowadays its hard to tell. I remember when Notre Dame played at Joe Robbie Stadium in the national championship against alabama (and got walloped) and the field looked like a putting green. Its amazing what they can do.

That field was grass. In fact, I think they layed a sod field over the field from the Orange Bowl the week earlier.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Nebraska wearing custom, hand-painted cleats against Miami. The palm trees and 17 "N"s symbolize Nebraska's seventeen Orange Bowl appearances in Miami.

Pretty cool, actually. I thought I wouldn't like these, but I do.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/04/nebraska-sport-hand-painted-cleats-against-miami

nerbraska-cleat-photo-marquee.jpg?itok=7

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Nebraska wearing custom, hand-painted cleats against Miami. The palm trees and 17 "N"s symbolize Nebraska's seventeen Orange Bowl appearances in Miami.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/04/nebraska-sport-hand-painted-cleats-against-miami

I saw these on UniSwag on instagram I think and the palm trees made no sense to me. Now they do.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I saw these on UniSwag on instagram I think and the palm trees made no sense to me. Now they do.

The thing that makes them "work" for me is that they're still just red and white - no rainbow palette - and even though the palm tree seems odd (unless you know the reason) it's still just a minor detail that most fans wouldn't notice. They didn't try to add a chrome tree or a tree made out of Adidas stripes.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm still waiting on Adidas to release LaserCorn/"Corn Puff Killer" alternates for Nebraska, a la Louisville and Murderbird.

I'd actually get a kick out of that because unlike animals, Adidas choosing to make a sentient being out of corn would be hilarious.

Either that or give us a Robocop version of Herbie Husker.

If Adidas is going to persist in being the train wreck designer, the least they can do is load up the boxcars with black powder and uranium.

UyDgMWP.jpg

This and it's a fun quirk to honor one of the great teams of Ohio State's past. It's different, yet still traditional.

Fair enough. We all have our things on this board that we can't stand, and mine is dark numbers on dark jerseys. But it could be worse, it could be the 49ers uniforms tonight.

That would be Cal.
I think he's making a yoke, because bizarrely the helmet appears to be light blue?

Why does Cal need a light blue helmet? Who knows. Why not have a red one at that point? Or green?

But hey, maybe it's just the lighting

Their equipment managers apparently eat a f#ckton of oatmeal.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived