NBA Redesign (NEW PRESENTATION; Portland Added)

macalesterscots

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nameplate on the nets is really warped.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

The word "Nets" in the primary logo looks squashed and warped. That said, that blue really pops off the black, and, as one of the few board members who likes the Nets branding, I think this is an upgrade, since blue, in various shades, had always been a part of their palette until now. This ties the old to the new.

rATMcmK.png

Wow, has it really been over a week since I've been on the boards? Well, I better get back to posting then. I fixed the text in the Nets to make it look less warped. And now I move on to the Queen City to present the Charlotte Hornets

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

I think the Hornets did a pretty excellent job with their (relatively) recent redesign. While I appreciate the pinstripes they wore in their first incarnation, any reincarnation of that would look pretty dated in my opinion. I have never liked using honeycomb designs for Charlotte because 1) it just seems kitschy and 2) oftentimes it isn't utilized well. The first two uniforms are pretty similar to their current uniforms, but the striping on the side is a continuation of the alternate crown logo. As you can see, I lightened the teal a tad, gave the teal jersey the away designation and changed the numeral font (which I find to be blocky). The alternate evokes a hornet's stinger (for those of you worried about it looking like this, don't worry; I have something else in store for them).

WYarcom.png

I hope you enjoy the Hornets. As always, C&C is greatly appreciated

Well it seems I have a bit of a hung jury regarding the results of my previous concept. I'll decide which one I want soon as I will be off the grid for this weekend. But in the meantime, I'll post my next two concepts: Boston and Brooklyn!!

BOSTON CELTICS

Ah, the Celtics, one of the most storied franchises in all of American sports, and their jerseys are equally timeless. For that reason, I didn't do anything major to change that design. I reverted their primary logo back to the one used during the Bird era, as their current one has too many colors and does not reflect their current identity. In addition, there is a new alternate uniform Boston would use sparingly, such as on Saint Patrick's Day and other special games. It utilizes the cursive wordmark that, while present throughout their history, hasn't ever appeared on the jersey. Until now, that is. The wordmark, numbers, and NOB receives a gold outline treatment befitting the Celtics.

HOME

mU46WJ2.png

AWAY

Y2yZxpd.png

ALTERNATE

1Ae12WT.png

BROOKLYN NETS

I actually don't hate the redesign they received, but I think it does run on the bland side and makes them look like the Spurs. I thought an additional color would enhance their uniforms as well as tie them into Brooklyn's sporting history. You can see the results for yourself below.

HOME

wAGt8EH.png

AWAY

FScGmzb.png

ALTERNATE

nnNyZJq.png

This particular shade of blue comes from this uniform from the 1940's which spawned the throwback the LA Dodgers wore a few years ago. The alternate is likewise based off of this uniform with the thicker white stripes throughout. Don't worry though, no reflective satin fabric for the Nets.

And that'll do it for Boston and Brooklyn. 'Twould be great to have some C&C to come back to after this weekend. I'll post Charlotte when I get back. Cheers!!

Love the shamrock.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Celtics and Hornets are great. In the Atlanta Hawks uniforms, maybe you can use the current blue in their a little bit to keep the modern feel. For the Nets try a darker blue maybe even some red to give it the old Nets look.

Thanks for your comments. My overall intent is to give teams distinct color schemes, so giving the Nets a R/W/B combination would defeat the purpose of this. Ditto for Atlanta.

Purple Charlotte is bae

As much as I hate that word, thank you.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Keep them coming!

I have a few more teams done but I'm not sure how many more I will be able to finish. For whatever reason, Inkscape is not cooperating with me; when I open the program, it does not allow me to click on anything whatsoever. If anyone has experienced this and knows how to remedy this, let me know as it would greatly aid in the progress of this series.

CHICAGO BULLS

Like the Celtics, the Bulls have a classic look that has stood the test of time. Nothing too much to screw around with here, so the home and away are basically the same as now. The alternate is inspired by the uniform worn by Michael Jordan during his rookie year. The script comes from the Chicago White Sox, and it is more or less similar to the original jersey's script.

BoyvoC9.png

And, since there isn't too much to discuss with the Bulls, I'll toss the Cavaliers up here too.

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

The current Cavaliers uniform lacks an identity. There is nothing remotely exciting about it and seems generic. I feel like they were on the right track with the original LeBron-era duds, so many of the elements from that uniform return along with elements from other Cavaliers uniforms of yore. The barber pole stripes return (I probably made them too small and will need to be revisited) and appear on the collar of the alternate. The wordmarks return with an Old English numeral font, which I felt looked good with the wordmarks and played into the identity I'm trying to create.

78YvFRI.png

And that does it for these two (current) Central Division foes (I may be tweaking the divisions at a future date). Would love to have more C&C for these two teams as well as any other teams. Tell your friends, tell your enemies, tell your frenemies, tell your shoemaker!

Overall, I like these designs, but I really dislike the Cavs' numbers. They look very unprofessional to me. I think they need something closer to what is actually used in the NBA.

Agreed on the Cavaliers uniforms needing fixed. The jerseys are good but the numbers are not. Possibly using something similar to the Ravens or Jayhawks would help.

Thanks for the comments guys! I thought the Gothic numerals would go over well. I see that the outline ended up a little wonky in the png. Not sure if that had anything to do with your dislike or not. I was going for something along these lines, which I thought would be unique and fitting for a name like the Cavaliers.

Here it is with the Ottawa Senators font:

HOME

E1EwG1a.png

AWAY

ra6tUlO.png

ALTERNATE

CIusoXt.png

Better? Worse? C&C appreciated as always

Archived