NBA Redesign (NEW PRESENTATION; Portland Added)

macalesterscots

Well, I think it's finally time to unveil my first ever concept, a full redesign of the NBA (with a few surprises thrown in). I have been planning on doing this series for the better part of a year, but lags with school, designer's block, occasional laziness, and learning a new program has hampered my progress on it to date. But here I am, ready to begin. Some notes on what I am trying to do with this series:

-I wanted to give each team in the Association a distinctive look that would distinguish them from the other teams. As it stands now, a plethora of teams utilize similar color schemes and can be hard to tell apart. In my NBA, this would not be a problem, as each team would be unique.

-I always found it odd that different teams used different jersey cuts, so here they will all use the same template: that of the v-neck. I think it is a good blend of modern yet classic and looks vastly superior to other collar designs. Before people come to bash my skull in with a tire iron because I have the beloved Bahston Celtics in v-necks, I just want to say that I think the current crew cut looks horribly dated. The move to this template league-wide would unify jersey design across the Association yet still allows for distinct collar types. Striping differences will still exist from team to team; it's not like I'm parading everyone out in single-colored collars.

-I will provide each team with a home and road jersey as well as an alternate. Don't worry - no sleeves. I will not be making throwback uniforms in the truest sense, although throwbacks would still be worn from time to time and you can imagine those in your individual sinister minds. I will also not be creating courts because I don't find court designs particularly interesting. Like the throwbacks, you can use your imagination.

-Also, I want to thank Conrad for his amazing sports font compendium he has posted onto this board. All fonts, unless indicated otherwise, come from this source.

Okay? Okay. Let's get this underway.

Thanks to the alphabet, we kick off this series with one of the most exciting teams in basketball right now, the Atlanta Hawks!

ATLANTA HAWKS

Of late, the Atlanta Hawks have been steamrolling their opponents and are exciting to watch. That is, until you see what they are wearing. They currently possess one of the blandest and most generic looks in the NBA. For a team that throughout its history has had fun, flashy, and unorthodox uniforms, I find their current uniforms status borderline inappropriate. The modern-day Hawks uniforms do have some redeemable characteristics, however; their font is a good thing going for them and their recent modernization of the classic "Pac-Man" logo is definitely a step in the right direction. Using these as a springboard, I began my concept.

First, I altered the color scheme. Red/navy/silver does nothing to distinguish the Hawks from the bevy of other teams with similar color schemes and adds to the overall generic-ness of the uniform package. It doesn't scream "Atlanta" or "Hawks" to me. To remedy this, I selected colors harkening back to one of the more high-flying eras of their history. This would put them in the same color scheme as the plan I have for the Houston Rockets, so I changed it a bit to tie their identity into the city of Atlanta, where the Hawks have called home for over 45 years. I got the idea from pcgd's fabulous America League thread; it just seemed so perfect for this franchise (if you haven't looked at the America League yet, do it now. Right now. Drop what you are doing and look at it. I will wait).

Okay, you're back? Great. Let's get to the concept.

EDIT: I switched to a new presentation style for my redesign project.

kiMkti0.png

The home and away evoke the Wilkins era with the slanted wordmarks, but does so in a modern way. The alternate goes back to the Maravich era with the racing stripes. I'm concerned as to how the peach alternate would go over, and under the artificial lighting it may look yellow. But I think it'll be all right.

So those are the Atlanta Hawks. Questions? Comments? Criticisms? Concerns? Problems? Existential Dilemmas? Any C&C would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments everyone. Regarding the "yellow", it is actually supposed to be a peach color for the Hawks' home of Georgia, the Peach State. It might show up a little too cream-colored, so I'll play around with the color values a bit. But I wasn't going for yellow in doing this concept.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Regarding the "yellow", it is actually supposed to be a peach color for the Hawks' home of Georgia, the Peach State. It might show up a little too cream-colored, so I'll play around with the color values a bit. But I wasn't going for yellow in doing this concept.

Oh... I think you should stick yo yellow, peach doesn't look right unless you less bright.

I'm just gonna give this a quick bump for some more C&C. Probably going to update Atlanta first thing in the morning depending on what I get back.

Oh... I think you should stick yo yellow, peach doesn't look right unless you less bright.

I'm a tad confused as to what you are saying at the end of this comment. Do you mean that if I was to use peach, I should make it less bright?

I'm just gonna give this a quick bump for some more C&C. Probably going to update Atlanta first thing in the morning depending on what I get back.

I'm a tad confused as to what you are saying at the end of this comment. Do you mean that if I was to use peach, I should make it less bright?

Sorry, typed it wrong. I think is it's going to be peach make it more peach so people don't confuse it with yellow.

So I tweaked things a little bit with the Hawks. I tried to make the peach a little "peachier", and with that I made the red a little more bloody. Also, per sportsnutt7's suggestion, I moved the hawk down a smidgen and condensed the wordmark.

ZzTX3qb.png

yAaY6nn.pngo7Bc8M3.png

Improvement? Downgrade? Let me know by dropping a comment. Thank you in advance!

Well it seems I have a bit of a hung jury regarding the results of my previous concept. I'll decide which one I want soon as I will be off the grid for this weekend. But in the meantime, I'll post my next two concepts: Boston and Brooklyn!!

BOSTON CELTICS

Ah, the Celtics, one of the most storied franchises in all of American sports, and their jerseys are equally timeless. For that reason, I didn't do anything major to change that design. I reverted their primary logo back to the one used during the Bird era, as their current one has too many colors and does not reflect their current identity. In addition, there is a new alternate uniform Boston would use sparingly, such as on Saint Patrick's Day and other special games. It utilizes the cursive wordmark that, while present throughout their history, hasn't ever appeared on the jersey. Until now, that is. The wordmark, numbers, and NOB receives a gold outline treatment befitting the Celtics.

JGrRPPq.png

BROOKLYN NETS

I actually don't hate the redesign they received, but I think it does run on the bland side and makes them look like the Spurs. I thought an additional color would enhance their uniforms as well as tie them into Brooklyn's sporting history. You can see the results for yourself below.

AZOVmVD.png

This particular shade of blue comes from this uniform from the 1940's which spawned the throwback the LA Dodgers wore a few years ago. The alternate is likewise based off of this uniform with the thicker white stripes throughout. Don't worry though, no reflective satin fabric for the Nets.

And that'll do it for Boston and Brooklyn. 'Twould be great to have some C&C to come back to after this weekend. I'll post Charlotte when I get back. Cheers!!

Archived