NBA Redesign (NEW PRESENTATION; Portland Added)

macalesterscots

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the Rockets, but I would suggest a wordmark more along these lines:63f7yzludlnhhx735q3gzp21m.gif

Cosign

See, I can't look at that and not think it looks dated. I tried to keep its general "spirit" with the slanting, but I think that wordmark belongs in its previous time.

"I hate myself for making these puns"

I don't! I thought that they were very pun-ny :P

Don't encourage me.

And now for something completely different, the Indiana Pacers!

INDIANA PACERS

Like the Hawks, the Pacers have sported innovative and distinctive looks throughout their history, so it breaks my heart to see them looking so bland and generic now. The Agency font they use now has been replaced with Bulldog Bold for the wordmark and Dribbler for the numbers; I feel these two fonts work pretty well together. In stereotypical Indiana fashion, the side panels are now checkered. Also, for the away wordmark, I felt I need something for than just an "I" to begin it since I used the Pacers "P" for the home and alternate. Italicizing the state of Indiana itself just didn't look right, so I opted to take some visual cues from the Indiana flag because flags are awesome. I can imagine Adidas saying something like "the torch represents the fiery spirit of this team and the state of Indiana" or some bullsh- - like that. I think the torch would be a good starting point if I ever decided to do a complete logo overhaul for this team. And the alternate, of course, is based off their Flo Jo uniforms. All of these elements combined together, in my opinion, create a look that helps bridge the gap between modern and classic.

q5aSdN1.png

And the Pacers just happened. I have the next couple of teams done so I'll toss those onto the Interwebs sometime this weekend. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated

Not a big fan of the wordmark, but I love the checkered flag homage. Something about the proportions or font of the part of Pacers that isn't the basketball P.

I might need to modify the kerning a little bit; the "A" looks disconnected from the rest of it

Just gave the Pacers a tiny tweak with the wordmark on the home and alternate. The A is a tad closer to the rest of the wordmark now. I didn't get a whole lot of C&C on Indiana, so I'd love to get some more of that. But in the meantime, I figured I might as well toss the LA Clippers here!

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

Another victim of the R/W/B color scheme. To distance themselves from the Pistons and the Sixers, I went halfway towards their San Diego Clipper days. I opted for red over orange because I've always felt there isn't enough contrast between the orange and the light blue. And, of course, their Lakers-esque logo is thrown into a dumpster and set ablaze. Replacing it is some maritime imagery: an anchor and the classical nautical flags spelling LA (as I mentioned in my Pacers post, flags are awesome). As for the uniforms, the side striping is based upon their uniform from the 1990s. I realize this uniform isn't particularly associated with the successes of the Clippers, but it is such a good look. And, as I was doing this concept, I realized that this striping is the nautical flag for the letter "C" on its side. I was blown away, and I had to have it in the uniform. This striping is used (almost obsessively) throughout the entire uniform set. For the away set, the outer part of this striping would get lost in the color of the jersey, so rather than change the striping color, it's just removed. I still wanted the design associated with the other jerseys, however, so I went a little out there by pairing the light blue jersey with white shorts. I think it's a unique look and would look good.

qyNZ33f.png

And that will round out the sets for Lob City. Next up are their fellow inhabitants of the Staples Center. In the meantime, any C&C on the Clippers, Pacers, or anyone you feel like is greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure how i feel about the white road shorts. I mean when I look at them I see a snobby SOB you just wanna punch. However I love the color scheme and the stripping

"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

Yeah not a fan of the white shorts with the road unis either. It really bugs me when the shorts are a different color than the jersey. For the Pacers, I do love their home and road unis, especially how you used that torch as an I in the wordmark for the road jersey.

8bVWNl7.png.df4b40fc8bee1fb7b4442d7fc55c

Not a bad idea for redoing the Clippers colors and logo, but when I look at them all I see is the Oilers. Despite your attempt to distance the Clippers from the Pistons, I still think the 2 are pretty similar in striping/cuffs style - ie. layered cuffs and collar, same pattern on a straight side stripe. Maybe add a curve to the Clippers. The white shorts with the blue top actually look pretty good. Pacers: for the alternate, I would add the Flojo slant pattern onto the shorts as well. For the home/away, the top looks a little cluttered. Maybe shrink the wordmark, and make the side stripe thinner. Every other set is really good; Golden State and Boston are perfect. Can't wait to see what you do with the T-Wolves!

One of the first things that stands out to me is the nautical flag logo on the shorts. I really like the logo by itself, but I think it stands out too much on the actual uniform. Maybe it's because black and yellow are not featured anywhere else on the uniform or maybe it's a little too big. Also I'm not a huge fan of the mismatched jersey and shorts combo. It's still a good look for them, but I think if the shorts matched the blue of the jersey, I think that look would go from good to great. Overall, it's a good look for the Clippers.

Thank you for the comments everybody!!

I'm not sure how i feel about the white road shorts. I mean when I look at them I see a snobby SOB you just wanna punch. However I love the color scheme and the stripping

screen-shot-2014-02-10-at-09-59-30.png

I rest my case.

Yeah not a fan of the white shorts with the road unis either. It really bugs me when the shorts are a different color than the jersey. For the Pacers, I do love their home and road unis, especially how you used that torch as an I in the wordmark for the road jersey.

Sorry, but I'm keeping the white shorts on the road. Yeah it's a little out there, but I think it would be okay if just one team did it; it would be the Clippers' thing. And the contrast between the two colors isn't that jarring, especially with the waistband having light blue in it.

Not a bad idea for redoing the Clippers colors and logo, but when I look at them all I see is the Oilers. Despite your attempt to distance the Clippers from the Pistons, I still think the 2 are pretty similar in striping/cuffs style - ie. layered cuffs and collar, same pattern on a straight side stripe. Maybe add a curve to the Clippers. The white shorts with the blue top actually look pretty good. Pacers: for the alternate, I would add the Flojo slant pattern onto the shorts as well. For the home/away, the top looks a little cluttered. Maybe shrink the wordmark, and make the side stripe thinner. Every other set is really good; Golden State and Boston are perfect. Can't wait to see what you do with the T-Wolves!

Interesting points. I am not too concerned about the similarity with the Oilers because 1) it's a different sport, 2) the Oilers haven't played for almost 20 years, and 3) they looked damn good. I was more concerned about your point about the Clippers. Although I think they are different enough (the colors, cursive scripts, the five stripes, and the white road pants), I nevertheless explored a different option as you will see below.

Regarding the Pacers, I did shrink the wordmarks a little bit. I also removed the outline on the road wordmark, and the jerseys have been updated in the original post. I am not, however, going to add the Flojo slant pattern. I thought it looked like hell in the originals. And as a Minnesotan, I'm pretty excited about the T-Wolves myself!

@clippers unis..not bad..not bad at all...very simple but very classic and stylish. Something Brooklyn knows nothing about. This is how you make a jersey not too flashy but with a retro feel to it.

Thank you!

One of the first things that stands out to me is the nautical flag logo on the shorts. I really like the logo by itself, but I think it stands out too much on the actual uniform. Maybe it's because black and yellow are not featured anywhere else on the uniform or maybe it's a little too big. Also I'm not a huge fan of the mismatched jersey and shorts combo. It's still a good look for them, but I think if the shorts matched the blue of the jersey, I think that look would go from good to great. Overall, it's a good look for the Clippers.

I'm sorry, but I love the white shorts on the road. For the update, however, I did remove the nautical flag on the shorts.

Here's the update for the Clippers. The pattern on the shorts is based on their primary logo from the San Diego days. Let me know what you think about it!!

HOME

umwDPsP.png

ROAD

5qEViwC.png

ALTERNATE

R1biuSp.png

The update is a downgrade, in my opinion. The original striping looked better than the abstract shape. It would perhaps work if you did use their old logo, but since you don't, it doesn't fit with the rest of the set.

I know you have said you are keeping the white shorts for the road, but I don't think it would work on the road. The home team is going to be wearing white, so I think the teams wouldn't want to overlap colors like that. If you want to keep it, I would make it a home alternate.

award%20sig.png

Thank you for the comments everybody!!

screen-shot-2014-02-10-at-09-59-30.png

I rest my case.

LMFAO

"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

The update is a downgrade, in my opinion. The original striping looked better than the abstract shape. It would perhaps work if you did use their old logo, but since you don't, it doesn't fit with the rest of the set.

I know you have said you are keeping the white shorts for the road, but I don't think it would work on the road. The home team is going to be wearing white, so I think the teams wouldn't want to overlap colors like that. If you want to keep it, I would make it a home alternate.

Eh, you're probably right about the white shorts on the road. I'll make the red the away and the light blue/white the alternate. That creates less of a problem with Pistons similarity because the Pistons' road is blue, enabling me to go back to the C flag striping which I also prefer. The nautical flags are gone from the shorts as well:

HOME

Sdauu6e.png

ROAD

VQUnx47.png

ALTERNATE

jew73Lm.png

And for funsies, here's another alternate idea that's a little more out there:

Qy554jH.png

Hopefully that's it for the Clippers and I can move on. TTFN, C&C appreciated!!

Archived