How Do YOU Pronounce Athlete's Names?

dolphins91

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Czech names like Marek Zidlicky and Tomas Plekanec bother me. I say "Zid-LITCH-kee" and "Ple-KANN-itch", but I've heard "Zid-LICKY" (which I know is wrong), "Zid-LITS-kee", and "Ple-kan-ETS".

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

One that's always frustrated be is Stéphane Robidas. I hear people say it with a hard 'S' like "Row-Bid-ahs". It's pronounced with a silent H, so "Row-bid-ah" or "Row-bee-dah" (Both are technically correct).

I say Robidas Row-bee-dah. Another one too is Marek Mazanec (Backup goalie for Preds) can be pronounced mazz-an-ik, mezza-nic, ma-zanicks, or ma-zannits, pretty weird

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

A couple on the Bruins.

I hear Milan Lucic pronounced a variety of ways.

I've always said Mil-ahn Lou-cheech

I've also heard Zdeno Chara pronounced more like Chair-ah. I say Char-ah.

Also in the NHL, I hear Subban a couple was.

I say Soo-bahn. Others say Soo-ban.

Even with English words our tongues reorder letters occasionally. Take "comfortable" for example. When speaking the "t" is switched before the "r".

Yeah, if you're a goober.

Tomas Plekanec...I pronounce it "Pleck-ann-ick"....but there's a few variations the Habs commentators, teammates, reporters, fans, etc. use. "Pleck-ann-etch" or "Pleck-ann-icks" being the most common.

Czech names like Marek Zidlicky and Tomas Plekanec bother me. I say "Zid-LITCH-kee" and "Ple-KANN-itch", but I've heard "Zid-LICKY" (which I know is wrong), "Zid-LITS-kee", and "Ple-kan-ETS".

(edit: Stanislav Neckář is the one I was thinking of...how did "nets-cash" come out of that??)

C represents "ts" in Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet. The hacek on the R adds a "zh" sound to the R: e.g., famous Czech composer Antonin Dvořak, which is pronounced duh-VORR-zhock, like "Jacques."

An interesting instance is Pavel Datsyuk, who is a Russian of Croatian descent. His name in Croatian would be "Dacjuk," with the c representing the ts sound and the j representing the y sound. But being Russian, his name has been transliterated into the Cyrillic script, and then back into Latin for NHL purposes. At any rate, everyone just says "datt-sook."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

About eight or nine years back there was a guy who played on the Utah Utes, became Steelers and then later Jaguars fullback by the name of Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. No one in Pittsburgh cared to try to pronounce it right so they just took to calling him Chris Motherf*****. Along that same line I remember some dude calling into to that show Mark Maddon had...and jacked up Troy Polamalu's last name so bad someone else took it and turned it into a parody song...that ended up becoming a local radio "hit". He called him "Puh-LLAMA-loo".

(All that really makes me wish former Navy QB Kaipo-Noa Kamehameha Kaheaku-Enhada had made it into the NFL...as a QB...for the express purpose of laughing at the prospect of NFL announcers dreading the thought of having to say his name x amount of times per game.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I couldn't for the life of me pronounce Dale Sveums name until I saw a video that talked about him (I think it was a Cubs broadcast from when he was their manager). I pronounced it as S-vee-um until I learned that it was actually pronounced S-vay-um.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Francois Beauchemin

Bo-sha-may? Bo-sha-meh? Bo-sha-men? Bo-sha-min?

I find myself (and announcers) cycling through all of them.

Also, Bryzgalov - Brizz-galov not Breez-ga-lov. Getzlaf - Getz-laff not Getz-loff. Teemu Selanne - Tay-mu Se-law-nee not Tee-mu Se-lah-nee.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I feel like this needs to be a standalone hockey thread all its own...can't nobody pronounce none of them daggone names right. :P

I think the penultimate WTF name was that one dude whose last name didn't sound nothing like how it was spelled (edit: Stanislav Neckář is the one I was thinking of...how did "nets-cash" come out of that??)

To avoid confusion he introduces himself as Stan (neck-AR). Which to those who know him, only adds to the confusion.

Bye-FOOG-lee-in is too fun to not be right.

Even with English words our tongues reorder letters occasionally. Take "comfortable" for example. When speaking the "t" is switched before the "r".

Yeah, if you're a goober.

As always, nice of you to once again grace us all with your tolerant perspective, and although some things vary by region, I'm sure the majority of the 430,000,000+ native English speakers won't appreciate being called a goober. I've had Canadian, British, Irish, South African, Kiwi, and American coworkers from every corner, and I can honestly say that few, if any, say all four syllables in "com-fort-a-bul".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metathesis_(linguistics)

See the word "comf-tur-bul" in that link? The t and r are flipped. How do you pronounce WedNESday?

Archived