FCS schools that could/should move up to FBS

__taylorc

Alright so I've been wondering this for a while now, with North Dakota State winning its 4th straight national championship and seemingly beating a Power 5 team every season, why they are not talked about moving up to the FBS. My guess is that its a geography thing.

Tj4ZkPU.png

1zwchs3.jpg_zpshph8rzul.png

27xqdyc.jpg_zps7iobnqxz.png

It's also a money thing. They would have to spend a lot to be competitive, and they'd need a league to take them in. Mountain West would be the most likely. They'd probably get more money games against Power 5 teams and they would also lose more regularly than they do now and they would also lose bitter rivalries if some other members from the Big Sky or Ohio Valley didn't come up with them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just axe fbs/fcs merge like every other division 1 sport and call it good. Why is this so hard??

Because the FBS only lets a select few teams in a select few conferences have a chance at a national title, while the FCS playoff is PERFECT.

bYhYmxh.png

Just axe fbs/fcs merge like every other division 1 sport and call it good. Why is this so hard??

The smaller schools would lose their big paydays. That's why teams like Savannah State still exist. If Florida State only has to pay $100,000 instead of $400,000, some of these whipping boys will go under. I really think we may see FBS split when the next big TV contracts come up. If that happens we'll see the Group of 5 turn into a version of the NASL/USL Pro vs MLS. They'll still go to bowls but be kept out of the New Years Six. Just remember, the NCAA calls both divisions Division 1. They renamed them FFCS/FBS so they could say they sponsored a Division 1 championship in football.

I think the Big East was looking at having Villanova move up prior to being picked apart by the Big Ten and ACC. With Conference USA being scavenged by the AAC they were no longer needed.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

EWU beat Oregon State last year and nearly beat the Huskies this year ( :puke: )

I think that if NDSU joined and played in the MAC, they would go undefeated or at least have only one loss. If they joined, say MWC, they could probably go 9-3. But again, it's a money thing. They need to get as much finances as they can before they consider moving them up.

Besides, isn't it the NCAA that decides who moves up? And NDSU would have to go through the dumb transfer stuff and wait three years before they can be competitive. A lot can happen in three years.

NDSU could easily win win 5 maybe 6 games if they were in the mountain west. I would bet that they would be in a bowl within just a couple seasons.

I think they could beat Air Force, Fresno State, CSU, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, Utah State, and Wyoming. That's 8 teams right there. I think they could be bowl eligible in their first year of eligibility.

I honestly have fallen in love with FCS football. Ever since Kennesaw State announced it was joining the Big South I've invested a lot of attention in it, and I love how it's a true amateurism sport. Just like the vast majority of college basketball these days, the players aren't household names. They aren't products as much as they are simply student athletes in a truer sense.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what it takes to make a jump, too. For example, KSU has 30,000 students, but its athletic operating budget runs at around $12 million a year, which is teeny tiny. FCS programs can split their 63 scholarships into a total of 85 "partial" scholarships, and even some FCS teams play non-scholarships football (anyone in the PFL), so its much more affordable than the FBS, where every scholarship is required to be a full-ride.

People keep looking at our school and going, "We're kind of like UCF, almost. Look what they've done," and think there's a logical reason for KSU to move up. Honestly, with the O'Bannon ruling and the Power 5 autonomy, the gap between feasible FCS football and power conference football is closing. In a way, there's less room for the "pretenders" of the FBS to exist and have the revenue to sustain a successful program.

Not to say those teams have to quit like Ray Watts and the ABOT did on UAB, but will athletic departments have to make a lot of sacrifices to be FBS? Yes. They will, and they have to commit to that.

I think any FCS program that has a strong state-wide backing can make it. North Dakota State really stands out.

That's an awful idea. As explained above.

I think the opposite is likely to happen. The Power-5 will create their own subdivison and the remaining D1 schools will divide in half. Which FCS schools make the middle tier and which ones stay in the bottom tier would be an interesting discussion.

It will be Division 1-A, 1-AA, and 1-AAA or something to that effect. The power 5 will break away from the group of 5. The group of 5 would then become 1-AA. The names may not be what I have mentioned but there will eventually be 3 different Division 1 groups.

Because that's asking the FCS schools to pay for roughly 40 more scholarships at minimum. That's not as financially reasonable as you would think.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

NDSU would be a perfect fit for Big XII

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Repeat after me: "Summit League."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because the FBS only lets a select few teams in a select few conferences have a chance at a national title, while the FCS playoff is PERFECT.
Is this because your poor Marshall wouldn't get ranked because they beat cupcakes all year?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I honestly have fallen in love with FCS football. Ever since Kennesaw State announced it was joining the Big South I've invested a lot of attention in it, and I love how it's a true amateurism sport. Just like the vast majority of college basketball these days, the players aren't household names. They aren't products as much as they are simply student athletes in a truer sense.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what it takes to make a jump, too. For example, KSU has 30,000 students, but its athletic operating budget runs at around $12 million a year, which is teeny tiny. FCS programs can split their 63 scholarships into a total of 85 "partial" scholarships, and even some FCS teams play non-scholarships football (anyone in the PFL), so its much more affordable than the FBS, where every scholarship is required to be a full-ride.

People keep looking at our school and going, "We're kind of like UCF, almost. Look what they've done," and think there's a logical reason for KSU to move up. Honestly, with the O'Bannon ruling and the Power 5 autonomy, the gap between feasible FCS football and power conference football is closing. In a way, there's less room for the "pretenders" of the FBS to exist and have the revenue to sustain a successful program.

Not to say those teams have to quit like Ray Watts and the ABOT did on UAB, but will athletic departments have to make a lot of sacrifices to be FBS? Yes. They will, and they have to commit to that.

I think any FCS program that has a strong state-wide backing can make it. North Dakota State really stands out.

NDSU does not want too. The additional travel would zap their budget in addition to the added cost of scholarships, which would be out of state in terms of real cost to both the department (you must pay all your coaches more) and school budget. With the state's population expected to double in the next 15 years, they need to worry about their education future more than FBS football.

Also, keep in mind, the state has a population of under 750K plus the Bisons rise has been parallel to the oil price and mineral rights.

What did you pay for gas this weekend?

Lower oil price, lower mineral rights, future litigation due to cracking means less donations.

Alright so I've been wondering this for a while now, with North Dakota State winning its 4th straight national championship and seemingly beating a Power 5 team every season, why they are not talked about moving up to the FBS. My guess is that its a geography thing.

If they did move up, they should be in the MAC. Best conference for them right now.

And BTW, I'm just putting it out here, BOTH Montana State and Montana should join the Mountain West.

If they did move up, they should be in the MAC. Best conference for them right now.

And BTW, I'm just putting it out here, BOTH Montana State and Montana should join the Mountain West.

B6yzH72IYAA4Qw4_zpstvfur8ey.jpg

The MWC already has a team in Wyoming... the LEAST populous state in the nation!

Since TV is what drives the income for these lesser football conferences either at the FBS and FCS level, for the MWC who already failed at the TV network experiment, adding teams from those low population Western states beg the two questions from the conference membership:

For Who?

For What?

And add the new potential new cost of attendance which the Power 5 approved today (01/17/2015), which is an additional barrier to participation.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-01-17/power-5-ncaa-schools-vote-new-scholarship-concussion-proposals-autonomy

FBS is it heading to 4 super geographically convenient conferences? I hope.

The Playoff could remain the same, having the 4 Conf Championships as defacto quarterfinals.

What they should do is like the NFL & rotate their inter opponents in a cycle.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived